Archived Target Is Getting Into the Beacon Game - Entrepreneur

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/249236

I'm in one of these markets, so I look forward to people ranting about how big data will lead to the end times. Although, hopefully the tech cred of my market will cause people to realize that if you ALWAYS buy Widget A and Target knows this... then coupons for Widget A will cause you to have lower costs...

It's a smart move. I don't know if the deployment\development costs will be covered by an increase in sales, but it's a win/win for the guest.

Hopefully it remembers which ads are displayed so that duplicates aren't shown to return shoppers.

It's a smart move. I don't know if the deployment\development costs will be covered by an increase in sales, but it's a win/win for the guest.

Hopefully it remembers which ads are displayed so that duplicates aren't shown to return shoppers.

in my oh so uneducated and not in any way processing any information on this matter I dare say it will be a third party vendor doing it for limited use of the information that is gathered.

Why not have the app give you information about the products around you; pro's, con's, overall customer reviews. Practically a personal sales rep, who can also remember your shopping habits and make recommendations based on new things you might like as well as things you may be forgetting. As it stands now I find myself looking up information on places like Amazon and then looking around for the better price somewhere else.

I can't help but think that some of the things they are trying to do with this could be done with some of the data they already have, or at least some of the tech they already have.

I wonder how much information google would be willing to sell to retailers about our browsing/e-mail habits to programs such as this.

From Target’s perspective, the beacon test will also aggregate data for the retailer about how shoppers move through its stores -- revealing, for instance, which departments might need more employees.

Ha! Like that's going to make a difference. We have virtually no "salesfloor" coverage. It's all specialty teams, market and E/E.

This is coming to my store next month. How does this integrate into the shopping experience for the guests and what sort of involvement is required from the store end?

No involvement from the store end is required. My store has this, and so far it just asks me if I want the coupons for Starbucks and/or HBA whenever I hear those areas. ...Every day. Along with special Cartwheel reminders/offers. ...Every day. =]

From Target’s perspective, the beacon test will also aggregate data for the retailer about how shoppers move through its stores -- revealing, for instance, which departments might need more employees.

Ha! Like that's going to make a difference. We have virtually no "salesfloor" coverage. It's all specialty teams, market and E/E.
The DTL will complain that the store's metrics are Red for visible TM presence in all departments, and in the same sentence complain that the store is over payroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back