Archived Target is not going out of business because hours gets cut!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am kinda shocked at Steinhafel's lack of caring for the brand experience. He's been with the company since 1979, so it's not like he was a Wall Street, Ivy League kinda guy who took over the company just to cut everything to the bone to suck the profits out. Target needs another leader who cares more about service than instant profits, basically we need another Bob Ulrich, quickly.

I guess his main focus area for 2013 is red card conversion. That definitely shows you where his priorities lie.
I started towards the very end of Bob's time with Target. I've definitely seen the difference from then to now.

Salesfloor you hit the bullseye on that lol spot cares about recards,redcards,redcards! Zone is always terrible but lets get those redcards! Hrs stink but again gotta focus on those redcards!!! One guy was telling his wife on the phone ( yelling) I got terrible hrs! What am I was supposed to do?? I only work 2 days this week?? I know we have to take care of the kids! This place doesn't care!!!!! Yep that is what the hrs are like in every work center I felt like saying to him.

Salesfloor you hit the bullseye on that lol spot cares about recards,redcards,redcards! Zone is always terrible but lets get those redcards! Hrs stink but again gotta focus on those redcards!!! One guy was telling his wife on the phone ( yelling) I got terrible hrs! What am I was supposed to do?? I only work 2 days this week?? I know we have to take care of the kids! This place doesn't care!!!!! Yep that is what the hrs are like in every work center I felt like saying to him.

I guess I should feel lucky I get about 25-28 hours a week. This is however the lowest ammount ive worked since I first began as salesfloor 2 1/2 years ago. Since our pfresh has launched 1 and 1/2 years ago I havent seen paychecks this small. Im making $100-$150 less EACH check than I was all of last year, and it sucks. Im a Pfresh assistant and im working pfresh less than 20 hours, same as the other PA. Its rediculous. You think with a workcenter like FOOD and PERISHABLES and HEALTH RISKS they would actually give a **** and keep that area fully staffed and not cut hours but nope, if pfresh isnt safe no area is. The only reason my store is the model store for DTL visits and looks pretty good most of the time is because the TLs, ETLS, and my STL are ALWAYS on the floor doing something and only are in the office for meetings. If they did what some store leadership ive read about on this board and just sit in the office and never help our store would be screwed. Its kind of funny that I bet they get paid less than ETLS at larger volume stores and they prob do 2x the work lol. Id love to see one of those ETLS get xfered to our store and have to actually get their hands dirty.

I feel bad for that guy you mentioned. I know alot of people at my store who are pissed off about how little hours there are and how they can barely afford anything. One cashier I was talking to last night is on food stamps and I would guess they arent the only one.

Last edited:

I guess I should feel lucky I get about 25-28 hours a week. This is however the lowest ammount ive worked since I first began as salesfloor 2 1/2 years ago. Since our pfresh has launched 1 and 1/2 years ago I havent seen paychecks this small. Im making $100-$150 less EACH check than I was all of last year, and it sucks. Im a Pfresh assistant and im working pfresh less than 20 hours, same as the other PA. Its rediculous. You think with a workcenter like FOOD and PERISHABLES and HEALTH RISKS they would actually give a **** and keep that area fully staffed and not cut hours but nope, if pfresh isnt safe no area is. The only reason my store is the model store for DTL visits and looks pretty good most of the time is because the TLs, ETLS, and my STL are ALWAYS on the floor doing something and only are in the office for meetings. If they did what some store leadership ive read about on this board and just sit in the office and never help our store would be screwed. Its kind of funny that I bet they get paid less than ETLS at larger volume stores and they prob do 2x the work lol. Id love to see one of those ETLS get xfered to our store and have to actually get their hands dirty.

I feel bad for that guy you mentioned. I know alot of people at my store who are pissed off about how little hours there are and how they can barely afford anything. One cashier I was talking to last night is on food stamps and I would guess they arent the only one.

Lol.... "Guess they aren't the only one"..... I am guessing you are younger and live with parents?

FYI to the younger TMs who live at home - 99% of your coworkers who don't live with parents (or have some other form of family help) are on food stamps and other programs. Otherwise, there is absolutely no mathematical way to survive on target wages/hours. You simply cannot live on your own without help from someplace.

Don't make the mistakes we made. Stay in school and get the hell out the moment you can get a "real" job, otherwise this is your future too.

Lol.... "Guess they aren't the only one"..... I am guessing you are younger and live with parents?

FYI to the younger TMs who live at home - 99% of your coworkers who don't live with parents (or have some other form of family help) are on food stamps and other programs. Otherwise, there is absolutely no mathematical way to survive on target wages/hours. You simply cannot live on your own without help from someplace.

Don't make the mistakes we made. Stay in school and get the hell out the moment you can get a "real" job, otherwise this is your future too.

I dont live at home and have no kids. Im also trying to get a "real" job with my degree =). Hard to get into HR though =( . Im just as qualified if not more so than all these ETLS making 45k that keep getting hired. Previous LOD, shift leader type experience, and a degree, and have target experience

Last edited:
I know alot of TMs like the guy I mentioned who does work at Target is married is wife ( not sure what she does) but needless to say he used to bank alot of hours.Since my boyfriend works too and we help each other out I can survive this wave but people like the guy I mentioned yep it stinks. I know last year was semi-bad but this year it has hit a all-time low at my store with hours and everyone is feeling it sadly!

Last edited:
Ugh. I'm scheduled for 4 hours total this week. I live with my mom, but I pay her a bit of rent and I haven't been able to pay her this year. Luckily, since she's my mom she's not gonna kick me out, but it still sucks. I couldn't imagine trying to live off of Target wages if I lived on my own and had to pay student loans (they're in forbearance for a year), the bills I pay now, rent and food.

Most of the other TMs at my store are living with family or a spouse so no one seems to be doing too bad.

Our hours in Market, at least, have gone up. Many of my other TMs are getting close to 40. Hell, I'm getting 20 working weeknights, which is my max for my availability.

And the vibe? Are you %#% kidding me. Cut hours left and right and expect team members to just go all out and guest service, which even if we wanted to do, we cant, because we have the same workload with half the hours. Target is big on presentation and brand, and those, in my opinion will keep declining if they keep cutting to the bare minimum to just get by in a day.
^^^^ This. I don't understand it, but then I guess that's the whole idea of it, I don't think there's supposed to be any rationality involved. Those who do nothing but yapyapyap about things they don't even understand just assume there's not limit to production by human beings. "I mean, because, what? Are they going to quit? Pft, we could probably charge people to work here because we're just that hip."

I'm doing 10-14hr planograms(on avg) by myself on a regular basis and we're still always behind. Part of that is due to people quiting left and right because of the crap that corporate is pulling and the resulting treatment of tm's by leaders and etl's. Honestly, I read the above posts, but I still don't understand how Target stays in business.

I'm fairly certain there isn't another corporation out there that knows how to waste so much time on stupid crap that often doesn't even have anything to do with profit, and in fact, even hurts it. Which, you know, I'd be all about if it improved quality in the work place, but it does the opposite. People are stressed and worn to the max, tired of working 2x the workload that they should be, while, IRONICALLY being told how much Target cares about their safety, and then in the long run being treated like what they do is never enough.

Oh, and a shotty shotty pay to boot. The frickin gas station down the road pays more than this circus. Oh, and don't take me as a newb, been here for over 5yrs. It just gets worse and worse. Some things kind of get better, but then those things just fade like a fad. They just keep starving the engine that drives profits because they assume someone will always be willing to work for them no matter how badly they're treated. I look at my Target and I see that the roster is mostly comprised of married wives and people on social security or retirement or kids that live off the their parents fat, because anyone who needs to make enough to cover the cost of living leaves within a few days, if they don't walk out of the interview beforehand.

Target is so interested in their appeal to the community, but they don't seem to understand that their employees are their best advertisement AND loyal customers. You treat an employee bad and everyone and their cousin's boyfriend's mother is going to hear about it, especially when it involves some of the dumbest shot that this company likes to slap their tm's with.

Cut hours left and right and expect team members to just go all out and guest service, which even if we wanted to do, we cant, because we have the same workload with half the hours. Target is big on presentation and brand, and those, in my opinion will keep declining if they keep cutting to the bare minimum to just get by in a day. In my store our Pfresh hours are now 8-8. That is insane that we only have 12 hours of pfresh/market a day considering for closing we have to zone all of dry market along with the usual tasks. Also dont have flow push any of our product from CAFS like some stores do in the morning.

This is why I started carrying a small notebook in the side pocket of my cargoes and a pencil. I work with two TLs in softlines and I keep a daily log of what we get done with the time we have. When they ask us why the VAs aren't done yet, it's easy to pull out the notebook and discuss two hours spent doing go backs and zoning and rack alignment and having to cover breaks at Operator and occasionally parts of operator shifts and let's not even get started on "Guest First". Subtract out lunch and your breaks and your six or seven hour day dwindles to nothing. Then point to the VA that says the thing will take 29 hours. Um.... I got to where I was answering the question of "When will it be done?" with "The VA says it takes 29 hours and when we get 29 uninterrupted (stressing the word uninterrupted) hours I guess it'll be done." I understand that stuff happens and I understand that there are things we will have to do to pick up the slack. It's not that I mind doing go backs in the morning or having to touch up the zone because ERT couldn't manage the load or figuring out where the heck the sudden massive amount of clearance is going to go so long as they GET that none of us can be in two places at once nor can we accomplish task A and task B at the exact same time. So, I'm always asking my ETL or TLs "Give me your priorities. Where do you want me to start and I'll start there and I'll let you know what I manage at the end of the day." This of course is said with complete respect and answered in kind. If it doesn't get done today, we'll keep trying with the time we have. Eventually it will get done, but maybe not when you wanted it to UNLESS you decide that the priority is great enough to assign more hours to the task.

Easter is coming up and alot of different people on the salesfloor want breaks etc,etc HR announced at huddle today no time off it will be denied so please do not ask. I knew christmas was taboo but easter??? ouch!!! I remember last year several people went on spring breaks during easter.

I'm in the same boat. The last straw was today when I found out they gave my hours to the new CTL who replaced my old one. I've filled out several diff apps for an actual grocery store. Starting pay there was 13/14 hour. Oh, and actual benefits.

It's been along time coming Spot. Signed off to be an SFT be damned, I'm not gonna bend over and take it anymore.

I am kinda shocked at Steinhafel's lack of caring for the brand experience. He's been with the company since 1979, so it's not like he was a Wall Street, Ivy League kinda guy who took over the company just to cut everything to the bone to suck the profits out. Target needs another leader who cares more about service than instant profits, basically we need another Bob Ulrich, quickly.

I guess his main focus area for 2013 is red card conversion. That definitely shows you where his priorities lie.
I started towards the very end of Bob's time with Target. I've definitely seen the difference from then to now.

Why is SPot even so focused on redcards? Didn't they sell them to some other business or something recently?

Because REDcards drive loyalty and increases same store sales. Same store sales is a huge number used to lure in more investors, which brings in more capital.

Sell to bank.
Bank takes them and a bunch of other debts and "securitize" them by wrapping them into one package and then selling them.

Basically the financial crisis part 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back