Target & Lottery

You need a separate register for Lottery tickets, they can't be sold by minors, and there is the whole payout process.
I suspect Spot just decided the money that they would make off them isn't worth the cost.

You need a separate register for Lottery tickets, they can't be sold by minors, and there is the whole payout process.
I suspect Spot just decided the money that they would make off them isn't worth the cost.

Not really a second register. And whether or not they can be sold by minors depends on the state.

I suspect it's an image thing. Look at other retailers...especially the ones Spot wants to be like...it's an entirely different class distinction between stores that sell them and stores that don't.

So why doesn't Target sell Lottery tickets? It goes to education....
Whether or not it goes to education really depends on the state. In the state I live in, it's a huge shell game. Basically they use the lottery money for education, and then don't fund the education out of the main budget, so they have more money for other things. There is no extra money going for education...just the same amount they've always put in paid for in a different tax.

Not really a second register. And whether or not they can be sold by minors depends on the state.

I suspect it's an image thing. Look at other retailers...especially the ones Spot wants to be like...it's an entirely different class distinction between stores that sell them and stores that don't.
I was thinking the same thing. But target really only is keeping away the class of people that buys lotto tickets. I guess it depends on the area but where I live Target having lotto tickets wouldn't keep guests away, it would bring more people in the store.

It isn't so much about keeping people away, so much as it is about the image they want to maintain. An image of a home goods and clothing store in my mind is a completely different image than a store that sells lottery tickets, cigarettes, etc, etc.

Sorry, I was going by NJ rules.
The registers there are hooked up to scanners so each ticket is scanned as you buy it.
And they are one of the states where minors can't sell tickets.

Where I'm from there was no age limit to sell them (barely an age limit to buy them) and it was all handled at the same registers that the service desk used for everything else. I don't reslly buy them around here, but it appears about the same thing around here, as well.

Not every state has a lottery, and lottery rules vary for each state. Too many problems with it.

I have never seen a Walmart carry Lottery tickets either.

where I live, they are sold at grocery stores, gas stations and liquor stores. I don't think I have seen them sold at big box stores.

I don't think it would hurt trying out in a few test stores...to see the public's reaction to it...maybe like in the "city" stores...that are smaller.

Just imagine how many losing scratchers would be in the floor and parking lot if Target did sell them.
Holy shit ain't that the truth!!! Our popcorn machine was broken for a few days and it was so nice seeing the carpets staying relatively popcorn free and clean.

So why doesn't Target sell Lottery tickets? It goes to education....
It's basically a stupid tax to fund making the population smarter. I like the irony there...
Target doesn't sell them because they're a trashy thing to sell and would hold up the lines with morons that are trying to win, and as others have mentioned, their image is important to them (although not important enough to spend the necessary hours to keep stores looking nice). It's the same reason we don't sell cigs.

I was with Target starting a decade ago. My entire family has spent at least a few years with Spot since the '80's (I guess I do bleed bullseyes as I used to say when I facilitated Orientation!) Up until the mid-90's Target was really trying to compete with grocers and "one stop shopping" rather than the upper middle-class woman that is their demo now. Can you imagine a CIGARETTE cage in front of the lines? It was the norm up until '92ish.

Image mentioned above is 100% right. Look at the Target brand merch vs. the Kirkland/Sam's Choice, etc. That's WHY they have the funky labels and UPC's that I loved as much as you do (sorry, no sarcasm font).

I need to post more. I have more opinions that might be able to help y'all. Love coming here daily to see what's going on even six years removed from red and khaki.

I had no idea. I just think it would hold up the lines if Target sold lottery tickets.

It's basically a stupid tax to fund making the population smarter. I like the irony there...
Target doesn't sell them because they're a trashy thing to sell and would hold up the lines with morons that are trying to win, and as others have mentioned, their image is important to them (although not important enough to spend the necessary hours to keep stores looking nice). It's the same reason we don't sell cigs.

That could be solved by only selling lottery tickets at one or two separate registers.

As far as a minimum age to sell tickets - Target sells beer. And in that case, there is no separate register for that purchase - if the cashier is underage, they must ring for assistance.

With retailers scrambling to find ways to draw the public into their stores, I think Target should at least test the waters to see if selling lottery tickets shows a spike in their sales. I don't think 'the wrong element' is suddenly start to inundate the local Targets just because they begin to offer lottery tickets. Those people will continue to spend their lottery money at their usual haunts.

Back