Target & Lottery

When they were pitched to our legislature, many complained that it would target (no pun intended) poor people but one lege put it thusly: You have people who won't pay child support but they'll buy a lotto ticket; those who won't pay back student loans but they'll buy a lotto ticket; those who default on judgements & won't pay but they'll buy a lotto ticket & the list goes on.
As a result, garnishments have gone up. Jackpots are also a good lure when a winner has an outstanding warrant.

At the grocery store near me, they have self-service lottery machines. I'm not sure how they work with the age restriction, but they do a lot of weird things here in NY.

My state legalized a lottery that was supposed to benefit education. Education still sucks in my state and we have one of the lowest average teacher salaries in the country.

Spot wants to be like Walmart, don't they sell lotto? They sell tobacco. Target carries beer so how much of a jump is it from beer to tobacco and gambling?
Not really a second register. And whether or not they can be sold by minors depends on the state.

I suspect it's an image thing. Look at other retailers...especially the ones Spot wants to be like...it's an entirely different class distinction between stores that sell them and stores that don't.

They don't want to attract the type that buy loto tickets? Same reason they don't sell cigs?

Gota keep up with that image! It's the only thing that separates us from the animals!

Lmao! Animals! Dat's mean mon. If you sell one poison, you got to sell all poisons.

Target used to sell tobacco. It was dept 50 I think. They also used to sell goldfish and tires...so there's that.

Alcohol isn't necessarily bad if you drink in moderation. Cigs are the same way but they are much more addictive and harmful, so it isn't easy to smoke "in moderation." Lotto tickets (other than the casual buy as a gift) are for losers that can't math. It's not that I don't see the company going down the shitter, but I wouldn't like to sell lotto tickets or cigarettes, and in MN we don't sell alcohol per state/local law. I don't even like taking the minimum payments on redcard bills where I can see their $5 000 + outstanding balance that is getting charged 20% or more APR.

Target used to sell lotto tickets at Super Targets. The store I worked in had a register at guest service just for lotto. They stopped selling them about 18 years ago.

I could see the math not making sense for Target. For convenience stores, that really want to lure you inside to buy drinks and snacks and such, having lotto tickets as another lure to get people in the store makes sense. I can see how managing the system would be too much of a PITA for the return to be worth it. People likely won't come to Target because they sell lotto tickets then buy other stuff. They might just pick up a ticket while they're there, which doesn't build the basket or increase sales in any meaningful way.

I think that it's impossible to win in the lottery. It is just a scam.

zKBtpnR.png

i get sad flippin thru old posts kartman posted on :(
I didn't always agree with him, but he was truly entertaining. Unlike a relatively new boomer posting here who I find not entertaining but, to me, just seems like a pale imitation of Kartman. Which only makes me miss Kartman more. :(

There is a lot of red tape for a store to meet financial and IT compliance to sell lottery tickets. Then multiply that with every state with a Target & lottery. Its easier for a convenience store as they are more local.

My local Walmart and Food Lion converted from direct lottery ticket sales to Stand Along Lottery Ticket machines a couple years back.

You do have to have a specific POS system to print and scan lottery tickets.

You ask about Target...why not Dollar General as well. They have one of the largest retail foot prints outside of the Big Box stores.

There are a number of other products and services which Target does not offer in its stores, at least the locations in our area (someone chime in if these are offered at Super Targets): Newspapers, tobacco and vaping products, yarn knitting and crochet supplies, sewing machines, hunting and fishing supplies, aquariums and pet fish, hunting rifles and ammunition.

There are a number of other products and services which Target does not offer in its stores, at least the locations in our area (someone chime in if these are offered at Super Targets): Newspapers, tobacco and vaping products, yarn knitting and crochet supplies, sewing machines, hunting and fishing supplies, aquariums and pet fish, hunting rifles and ammunition.
We do have sewing machines & fish food.

We used to have sewing machines but stopped selling them a year ago. We have a little bit of fish food. We did have yarn and knitting supplies for a few months, but they went out with the last stationery transition. We also sell a couple fishing poles.

Back