Archived Target Red DEBIT card question

Status
Not open for further replies.
question from a customer: when will the Red Debit card limit reset? she used it over the weekend and called customer service line, was told that she can't use total over $100 until history gets established and that $100 limit may get removed / increased later.

and today money got taken from her checking account already. can she start using the Red Debit card again?

mandie89

ElectronicsTM
I know that they'll sometimes limit how many times you can use it per day, but I've never seen them set a limit to how much you can spend. It typically takes 3-4 days for them to take the money from your bank account anyway.

I know the credit card has limits as does any credit card, but I haven't heard of this happening with the debit version, I thought it was solely based on what was in your bank account, and if you didn't have the money in there when they took out what you spent, you got a late fee + your bank's overdraft fee. I recently got another debit card after over a year of not having one and was able to spend over $100 on it right away. That's interesting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah the rep on the phone told that the customer got capped at $100 as her account is pretty new and she can't make any more purchases with the RED Debit card but now money already got taken out of her checking account - is that mean she can use again?

When I got my red card debit card, yeah, I had a limit. I don't know how much but they did say I have to have history established first. I was trying to buy an ipad. I used it later on with small purchases like food for lunches. Now I am able to use it with no limits.

I think you can use it again after they have withdrawn the amount you're due and it is reflected in your bank statements. I would use mine as long as the amount is already reflected on my bank account.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've always assumed my debit RC was limited to the funds in my checking account.

there is no way to know the balance on your account - because this is done via ACH... just like a check writing.

GoodyNN

Plays with strings; Bacon Number of 2
Same as Shiro. I initially had a limit, and 100 sounds about right. I don't remember ever being notified that no limit was removed, but I have never had a problem using it for a larger purchase.

LUR99

GSTL
I was able to make a $350 purchase when I signed up for mine. I have seen several limits on Target debit cards. I also had guests sign up with a $750 purchase and were able to use it right away.

IWishIKnew

This was supposed to be a seasonal job...
I would imagine it depends on the credit check they do when you sign up. Better credit and/or length of account history probably has a higher limit to start with.

I don't recall having a limit on mine when I got it, but that was awhile ago.

I would imagine it depends on the credit check they do when you sign up. Better credit and/or length of account history probably has a higher limit to start with.

I don't recall having a limit on mine when I got it, but that was awhile ago.

That could be it. I didn't have Red Card Credit Card and I just started on my credit history in those days.

IWishIKnew

This was supposed to be a seasonal job...
I was in my thirties, owned a house, etc. so plenty of history there and clean credit. They put what you'd pay for a TV with the 5% discount on them, so I would assume many folks with established credit histories probably can get at least a few hundred on their first purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.