Archived Target sues ‘hero’ who helped save teen girl from stabbing

Status
Not open for further replies.
We of course don't know the exact details but it will be interesting to see the outcome.

A Pittsburgh man is being sued by the big-box retailer after he says he rushed to the aid of a teenage girl being stabbed inside one of its locations, according to a report.

Michael Turner told WXPI-TV he thought he was doing the right thing when he fended off a knife-wielding man who was attacking 16-year-old Allison Meadows inside an East Liberty, Pa., store in March 2013.

But instead of being hailed a hero, Turner is being blamed for the stabbing, according to the news station, which obtained court documents confirming the suit.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...lped-stop-stabbing-pa-store-article-1.2299349

Only issue here is that last line by the family.

"We have sued Target, because they failed to keep Allison safe."

I'm sorry, but why are you suing Target? We don't actually search our guests for weapons when they come in the store, so I don't know what you expected Target to do to keep your daughter safe.

Target isn't talking right now about why they are suing. At this point, it seems ridiculous. But if they don't want to give their version of events until the trial, then who knows what the truth is.

But the family suing the store is silly. They should sue the person who stabbed her, but I'm sure he doesn't have the money that Target has.

I'm sorry, but why are you suing Target? We don't actually search our guests for weapons when they come in the store, so I don't know what you expected Target to do to keep your daughter safe.

Does this mean TPS are going to have to start frisking guests?

Sounds like they tried to play cop with a mentally unstable man and got a girl stabbed for it.
If they hadn't chased the guy then pretty much dared him to act as he did who knows what would have happened?
It's still possible he could have hurt somebody but who knows.
The lawsuits are a nothing but CYA and fingerprinting.

I fail to see how that explains anything. It still says they're suing because Target didn't keep their daughter safe. What was Target supposed to have done?

It explains why Target is sueing the "hero". He and his friends chased and cornered the crazy knife dude.

Edit: Stabbing victim wasn't a TM.

Last edited:
I'm sure when Allison applied to Target she wasn't expecting to have to wear body armor or worry about an armed psycho.
It's not like she was working overnight at a convenience store in a bad neighborhood so yeh, her parents had some expectations of their daughter to be in a 'safe' workplace.

Well, yes, but unfortunately shit happens. Even getting robbed at a register is a risk we take. It isn't pleasant to think about, but anytime you leave your home, you are taking the risk something could happen. There are no guarantees.

So Targets at fault because three men went after a mentally ill person, and escalated the situation in a Target store? In my book, there not Hero's, there the reason the girl got stabbed.. They cornered him, he felt threatened and he reacted..... Not a single thing is said about a Target Team Member being involved....

I'm sure when Allison applied to Target she wasn't expecting to have to wear body armor or worry about an armed psycho.
It's not like she was working overnight at a convenience store in a bad neighborhood so yeh, her parents had some expectations of their daughter to be in a 'safe' workplace.

Ok, so what was Target supposed to have done?

Ok, so what was Target supposed to have done?
Issue a blade to every TM with the warning that not only will Target NOT protect you from an assailant, you will be termed if you defend yourself.
Let the media know what Target does (not) do to ensure the safety of their team.
If an employer isn't going to ensure employee safety, they should have the right to carry a concealed weapon.
I'm lucky enough to work behind a counter with plenty of items to use in defense.

The victim is not and was not a Target TM. She was shopping there with her family while visiting her nephew who is in a Pittsburgh hospital. The family is from Tennessee. And no, I can't imagine why they would sue Target unless it is for a quick settlement payout.

Well then I'd be termed anyway because I'd have a hard time just standing by & watching some nutcase stab a kid over & over.
What would I do to stop it?
Don't know; have to see what's in reach if it ever happened.

The bitch about that situation is you might have been better off punching out the jerkwads who chased him into the store.
At least if you could get them to back the hell off and reduce the tension he might not have stabbed her.
It was them playing hero when they clearly had no idea how to handle a confrontational situation that got the girl stabbed.
Everybody who watches TV thinks they can jump right into something like that but the reality is a whole lot different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back