Archived Target terms you hate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohhhh... the little ones that have like baby medicine and skidders (baby slippers with grippy bottoms) on em. I knew the endcaps, but I just was overthinking the sidecap thing. I work the baby gondolas often, but I never knew that, because I was never actually trained over there. The AP guy told me a couple weeks ago about the "facings" number and I've been here for over a year lol. And I still don't know how to answer the red phones. Training at Target is top notch.

alsoo, "huddle" can be added to my hatred of all the team language.
Anything that's ever been printed on a poster or billboard in tsc, as well.
Our "wellness captain" used to have "wellness wednesday" every week and it went from these nice spreads back when I started to almost at the sell by date salads to absolutely nothing. So I roll my eyes at any mentions about our "wellness."

You're 'on' compliance (?)
Non compliant?
You were on the compliance list(?)

Makes me shake my head.

An oldie; "safeness"
I still don't know the difference between safety and safeness!

I don't either. I challenge anyone to explain it logically.

It's been years since I have heard a discussion on the meaning of each, but if I remember correctly...

Safety is a global term. Keeping wet footprints off floors from rain or snow.
Safeness is individualized. Not using the bottom tier of the speedrack as steep stool.

"drinking the koolaide" my stl says i all the time.. i hateeeeeeeeeee it.. dont they even care that it refers to death?

s95h6.png

I've always wondered: why do we call it Food Ave. when its name is Target Cafe?

When Super T's were first opened, they were called Food Ave.

How about this gem from a couple summers ago: MAKE SUMMER FUNNER.

If I remember correctly, that was on the FOS overhead, so I'd see that and cringe every time I walked into the store.

This holiday season, when they jumped on the bandwagon of adding periods. After. Every. Word. To emphasize the words. They did that in the add, on holiday signing, etc. It's one thing to do it on your Facebook status. It's another annoying thing entirely to do it on your ad campaign.

"Can I help you find something?" Proper English will tell you "May I help you find something?"

This is it for me. I actually had an ETL threaten to coach me for saying "May I help you find something?" Her case was that it's not brand, I said, "that's fair, but CIHYFS makes me sound like I don't know what I'm talking about." Eventually she just gave up and I have continued rocking MIHYFS.
I wasn't there for this but one of our FRO was coached by the HR BP for not answering the phone with "CIHYFS" I have taught all of them that it's not proper English, and even if it was....it does not sound right on the phone. I never, ever got in to trouble with anybody for answering with "how can I help you?" Not from any of the muckity mucks who call into our store. I am guessing this HR BP had a stick up her butt and the FRO answered other questions wrong.

I always ask if I can help the guest find anything and since I am always praised for guest interaction I am guessing they don't care it doesn't come out as "CIHYFS"

I have heard of a few stores in the north where FA was called American Grill.

All the old PDA (STO LOC NOP...) function names. Just give me a straight forward menu screen.

But we do have a menu screen now. It's a lot better than the LRT days when the only menu items were (IIRC) "Stockroom Locator" and "Research" and everything else had to be typed in.

You're 'on' compliance (?)
Non compliant?
You were on the compliance list(?)

Makes me shake my head.

An oldie; "safeness"

It's been years since I have heard a discussion on the meaning of each, but if I remember correctly...

Safeness is individualized. Not using the bottom tier of the speedrack as steep stool.
The way I explain it:
The difference between falling off a step stool, or me hitting you with it.

The way I explain it:
The difference between falling off a step stool, or me hitting you with it.
Thank you @dr latex .... perfect!

We still call it food ave at my store. The old store in my area before it moved to it's new location had an actual grill too. I remember eating burgers there when I was younger.

We still call it food ave at my store. The old store in my area before it moved to it's new location had an actual grill too. I remember eating burgers there when I was younger.

Classic Food Ave had amazing burgers and chicken quesadillas. I was heartbroken the day I went in and they told me that they couldn't do them any more.

Classic Food Ave had amazing burgers and chicken quesadillas. I was heartbroken the day I went in and they told me that they couldn't do them any more.

The fish sandwiches were the best!

Technically, cihyfs isn't improper English. It didn't used to mean what Target meant to say. The definition for the word "can" has been expanded, though. Language evolves based on how it's used, so dictionaries change as we change the use/meaning of words. I'm sure many older English teachers and grammar "nazis" are not here for that, though.

I still don't care for the phrase. Sounds so unnatural when I say it. I think hearing it so much from all the ETLs/TLs when they ask people also made it sound Stepford-y, robotic, cult-y, and brainwash-y. Now I'm imagining my store's "leadership" plugging into chargers at night, and inserting a new disc into their mouths to install the next new Target buzzwords.

Last edited by a moderator:

The fish sandwiches were the best!

I don't care for fish... but the burgers and quesadillas? I could still go for one, and it's been about 7-8 years since there was one in my store.

People who refer to the Vestibule of the CO as the "Vegetable" (it's where we keep all the PDAs/most of the walkies).

Walk the vibe. I'm not a TL, I don't even know exactly what it means. Just hearing it mentioned sets my teeth on edge though.

I don't care for fish... but the burgers and quesadillas? I could still go for one, and it's been about 7-8 years since there was one in my store.

I remember very vaguely, that some stores had some fake chinese offerings, too. Like Egg Rolls, and Soups. Anyone remember that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back