Archived Target to remove Gender Based Labeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen this in our store yet (I probably just don't pay attention) but I don't see the big deal. Most kids in general just want to play with toys. They don't care what it is if it looks badass and fun they will want it. I used to play tea party with my girl cousins and play with their toys and don't get me started on the hours we spent on barbie.com cutting her hair and doing fashion shows. Never once was my mom like "Omg he's gay!" and my mom is super religious. Kids will be kids.

My husband has a MASSIVE tool collection. He got tired of everyone taking and not putting back his tools and now keeps it locked.
He bought me my own tool box and I got to pick it out. He thought I'd go for the pink or lime green one but they were about $100 more so I chose the standard black one. Us women can think past the pretty pink color! BTW, the pink tools are really cheap quality.
I don't have the ones we sell. I have the nice quality ones sold at Sears. ;-)

Today I heard a parent tell their kid "Do you really want that pencil case? It's not a boy's color."

Another parent told their kid "do you really want the snoopy thermos? Get the Avengers one."

Is crazy how kids are pressured to fit a certain norm.

Today I heard a parent tell their kid "Do you really want that pencil case? It's not a boy's color."

Another parent told their kid "do you really want the snoopy thermos? Get the Avengers one."

Guess what didnt change when we changed our signing

My aunt used to take toys away from my girl cousin because they were "boy toys" like oh my god no not a transformer heaven forbid!!!!

I have a friend who is thrilled about this. She has two young children...a boy and s girl. She and her husband have encouraged them to play with whatever they are interested in. She said it's been absolutely heartbreaking as they have learned to read, and start reading signs in the store only to learn the toys they like were for the opposite gender as they stood there in shame and embarrassment...and then she had to figure out how to explain that.

So maybe taking these signs off is good for the kids...especially as they are able to start reading.

This kinda just seems like a non-issue to me. It's not a big deal either way, I'm just surprised that people seem to care so much whether their transformer toys are underneath a "Boys toys" sign.

I had a guest (in her 40's) today who was not happy about "mixing the genders" as she called it. She was trying to argue with me and trying to get a reaction from me. I said it really doesn't bother me and I have bigger fish to fry. She kept saying that girls should be girls and boys should be boys. She wouldn't shut up. She asked if I knew anything about protesting it and I said no. I suggested she make a complaint on the website and said to Google any information about groups trying to stop it. At this point I want her away from my face. She looked at me with a pointy finger and said "You Google it!" I haven't had anyone even mention any of this "gender mixing" until today. I really don't understand what the issue is....uggghhh. The guests behind her were rolling their eyes. Oy! Thanks for letting me rant.

I'd be capital O offended if it cost more than the same set in blue, though.

Touching on this again, I noticed that one of the pink tool sets is actually more expensive than the black colored one. While the boxes are exactly the same size, the black one has more pieces to it.

Last edited:
I assume the post Xmas transition will fully implement the gender neutral stance. Unless they wanna send out some emergency poorly proportioned planograms. I definitely support this move. The country is heading in a very progressive attitude when it comes to gender identity and people being individuals. Spot is a pretty progressive company so it was smart to get ahead in this thing before it snowballed into a PR nightmare

I had a guest (in her 40's) today who was not happy about "mixing the genders" as she called it. She was trying to argue with me and trying to get a reaction from me. I said it really doesn't bother me and I have bigger fish to fry. She kept saying that girls should be girls and boys should be boys. She wouldn't shut up. She asked if I knew anything about protesting it and I said no. I suggested she make a complaint on the website and said to Google any information about groups trying to stop it. At this point I want her away from my face. She looked at me with a pointy finger and said "You Google it!" I haven't had anyone even mention any of this "gender mixing" until today. I really don't understand what the issue is....uggghhh. The guests behind her were rolling their eyes. Oy! Thanks for letting me rant.

With a deadpan stare "I don't Google, I Bing"

UDOTuja.jpg

oh my god it's gendered diapers

the most terrifying thing this halloween

Last edited:
I just had this experience a week ago with a guest.

Guest: Did Target ever go through with that gender thing?

Me: Not sure, I think so.

Guest: I gotta get outta here.

He actually walked out of the store.

Not sure if the diaper thing was tongue-in-cheek, but boys and girls diapers are manufactured to absorb at different positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back