• Thread starter PassinTime
  • Start date
  • Replies 61
  • Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PassinTime

I've only been with Spot for a year, but feel like the way that I am treated and the way my store is run has changed a lot. Unfortunately, the changes are not for the better. As a cashier, the pressure to get RedCards has really escalated, no rewards when you get a RedCard, almost never any treats in the break room, no supplies at the lanes (bags, pens, etc), less hours, more guests to check out with much longer lines, and no time to zone. Morale is very low in my store.

How's your store doing and how's morale?

I'm new to Target and new to retail, but I have to say that my store is fantastic and the retail aspect is very interesting to me. I never expected Target to hire me because of my age (over 60) but they hired me for hard lines on the spot. They then moved me to cashier, then to self check out and then guest services. There is even a possibility of getting a TPS position. I have been most impressed that all team members, regardless of rank actively work the floor. It is not uncommon to see the HR manager acting as cashier, or the STL moving carts. It is one of the only companies I have ever worked at that truly practices what they preach.. teamwork. My team members and management are upbeat, albeit sometimes tired and it's always a pleasure to come to work. The guests provide enjoyable and sometimes interesting opportunities to interact with other people that I would miss if I were retired at home.

I've only been with Spot for a year, but feel like the way that I am treated and the way my store is run has changed a lot. Unfortunately, the changes are not for the better. As a cashier, the pressure to get RedCards has really escalated, no rewards when you get a RedCard, almost never any treats in the break room, no supplies at the lanes (bags, pens, etc), less hours, more guests to check out with much longer lines, and no time to zone. Morale is very low in my store.

How's your store doing and how's morale?
Pretty crappy since newbies like you make more than old timers like me. And all the new people do is bitch how $9 isn't enough to put up with this place...

I don't bother worrying myself over stuff like that.

However, I would if I thought it would help. ;)

So you want a treat everytime you get a Redcard? Isn't it apart of your job expectations? I give out high-fives every time a cashier gets a credit card, but I'm not about to start passing out treats because someone wants to do thier job.

Treats are nice, but I'm with RedorBlue on this. At our store only cashiers get rewards for meeting their expectations. I have never heard of the backroom getting a DVD for finishing the CAFs on time, or salesfloor tms getting an item from the OneSpot because they pushed the pulls or finished their zone. TL's don't get a prize for completing PCV's or setting the salesplans, Cart Attendants aren't rewarded for every 100 carts they bring back into the store. etc. Why do cashiers get prizes for doing their job? A prize for going well above and beyond is understandable (those are bonuses in most places), but we get paychecks for doing our jobs.... that's sort of why we work here.

BTW - IMO the pressure to meet expectations more quickly is definitely not unique to the cashiers. Every job center is feeling it. The fact that most are able to do it would indicate to me that it is not unreasonable. When it becomes impossible for a majority to meet the expectation then it might be time to reevaluate those expectations.

Treats are nice, but I'm with RedorBlue on this. At our store only cashiers get rewards for meeting their expectations. I have never heard of the backroom getting a DVD for finishing the CAFs on time, or salesfloor tms getting an item from the OneSpot because they pushed the pulls or finished their zone. TL's don't get a prize for completing PCV's or setting the salesplans, Cart Attendants aren't rewarded for every 100 carts they bring back into the store. etc. Why do cashiers get prizes for doing their job? A prize for going well above and beyond is understandable (those are bonuses in most places), but we get paychecks for doing our jobs.... that's sort of why we work here.

BTW - IMO the pressure to meet expectations more quickly is definitely not unique to the cashiers. Every job center is feeling it. The fact that most are able to do it would indicate to me that it is not unreasonable. When it becomes impossible for a majority to meet the expectation then it might be time to reevaluate those expectations.

Our job, as outlined in the core roles, is to educate guests about the benefits of the REDcard. Actually getting guests to sign up for one is completely out of our control, yet we are constantly pressured to get a certain amount per shift. CAF's, pulls, zoning, etc are all things that are at least somewhat in your control. I understand that unrealistic expectations exist for all TMs and more often than not you are not given enough time to complete the work you are given.

Other stores that have card signup quotas (like Macy's) give their employees some type of commission or bonus for getting sign ups, so how are REDcard prizes any different? No matter how much I "educate" the guest on all the benefits I can't force them to sign up. That's what makes all the pressure and goals so stressful. I can give it 110% and still not get a single sign up.

At my store prizes are rarely given, especially since my GSTL went on maternity leave. Some of the GSA's offer Starbucks drinks or $10 gift card if we get 2 in one shift, but that only happens towards the end of the day if we haven't even come close to achieving our daily goal. My SrGSTL doesn't give prizes at all but she also hardly ever pressures cashiers about REDcards either.. Most of the pressure comes from the ETL-GE. The last day of tax free weekend I stayed later to help out with the crazy amount of guests we had in store. Many of them yelled and complained to me about long lines so of course they weren't going to want to listen to my REDcard pitch. Still, I tried really hard to get a sign up that day but I didn't. I stayed until close and my ETL GE has the nerve to ask me why I didn't get a REDcard after I worked a 9.5 hour shift without getting my last 15. I was physically and mentally exhausted and hearing him tell me I didn't try hard enough was crushing. I actually broke down and cried in my car after that.

REDcard quotas are unreasonable, and the pressure put on cashiers is ridiculous. When you're a cashier the only amount of recognition you get is tied to REDcards. You can be great with guests, get good surveys, provide a fast and friendly checkout, be reliable, etc. and still no one cares unless you get a REDcard. Leadership and TMs alike write tons of vibe cards in my store, and the only time a cashier gets one is if he/she gets a REDcard. I didn't start to actually feel appreciated at my store until I was asked to run self checkout and cross train at the Service Desk. All workcenters have unrealistic bullshit to deal with, but the less I cashier the better I feel.

I understand. I agree completely that redcard sign ups are out of your control. I feel that way about being railed on about "instock" scores that are tied to the guest surveys. If we don't get kindergarten mats regardless of how often we scan them and everyone that comes in for one says they did not get what they came in for, my team is dirt. It doesn't matter if we scanned 3000 items that week, the trucks were huge refilling outs, every endcap is filled and all discontinued items are out of the backroom. The 8 out of 10 that wanted that item still didn't get it and our score sucks. Good surveys matter to us and we can't control that.

As a manager I cannot coach associates on there numbers, I can only coach to behaviors thay affect numbers. One of the expectations is 100% offer rate. If you offer to every customer you will get someone to sign up. So are you asking every single customer? If no, start there. If yes, then you need to switch up your speech about it cause it's not working. If you don't know what to say, partner up with a high level performer. You need to help yourself in this situation.

And where do you think the money is coming from for those $10 Starbucks cards? They are most likely coming from your GSA own personal bank account. Do you want to buy everyone a treat out of your own money everytime they get a red card?

My store gives away Starbucks drinks like mad.
BUT....when SB/FA tms keep our survey scores 90-100% (consistently pulling up the rest of the store's score), make samples for huddles, samples for cashiers to lift their spirits, samples to hand out in lines when the registers crash....we're never recognized & our TLs have to justify giving US a free drink & it's always a 'tall'.

I know a few people who work at wm in my area and they get treated better than us in some ways, but worse in others. I never asked any of them about card rewards because they either no longer have a card or they don't have to push it anymore. Also, everyone I know over there is on whatever they call the flow team.

On topic.. My store does contests and perks. Monthly perfect attendance people go in a raffle for $100+. Amount varies. Winner is always someone who barely works. They like to do those guess how many candies candy jars. Ice cream sundae sundays on occasion. They order us food during special occasions, but it's almost never good. Elf on the shelf during 4th quarter, but it's always in frigging hardlines.

One thing I actually miss is wellness Wednesday. The salad spread, cheese and crackers, fruit, free water bottles. Ohh and we used to have these nacho average __days where we'd have chips and dips and taco meat etc.

Despite it all, morale is still low lol. So many hours cut, so much work to do. It's frustrating. 4 hour shifts are beyond pointless. Whatever I get finished will be worse than when I started it less than an hour after I leave. Then I do it all again the next day.

Really used to enjoy working at my store before our old ETL-GE left, but ever since they left things declined. We of course weren't meeting redcard goals, getting coached on not asking children about signing up for a redcard of all things, and just continuous reshop piling up to the point where it looks like we're at the Christmas crunch time again. I can't think of a single TM I haven't spoken to in the past month who hasn't expressed interest in quitting if they haven't already. Morale is low and we're waiting to see if the DTL will actually do their damn job or if we should just start finding better jobs.

Honestly I only come to work anymore for just the paycheck and my coworkers. Each new guest interaction is either "You obviously don't give a shit" or "Can you call more people to open some more lanes?"

Damn...

all this drama...

Who needs it?
I think you would me a great TL. and I am totally serious. The attitudes and work ethic, optimism, perseverance and energy of our co-workers can change the atmosphere of a workplace and our own job satisfaction. My T L has made a huge difference to our department. She is at least 20 years younger than I am, but I have learned so much from her.
You should consider it. You could make a real difference. I would love to work with some of the posters on this site, including g you.

I would suggest you share more of your own personal experiences and maybe some
Positive advice

Morale is crumbling at my store...people quitting left and right. Many newbies stay for a week or 2 and leave. I stay because I love my co-workers...that's about it at this point.

My store is going through a high turnover rate currently. Awful employees are even getting hours just because they can't find anyone else to put up with the outrageous expectations in most departments. Those expectations obviously aren't being met, but nothing is being done to change that. Just complaining. I'm not sure why hours have been tightened again, especially since revenue has came back up. We're exceeding sales forecasts, yet hours keep getting slashed.

So you want a treat everytime you get a Redcard? Isn't it apart of your job expectations? I give out high-fives every time a cashier gets a credit card, but I'm not about to start passing out treats because someone wants to do thier job.

NO, dont need a treat to do my job which is cashier (scan customers items and accept their payment.)

Target isn't paying for a salesperson.
When I was hired, I was told I would have to educate the guests about the benefits of Redcards. No one ever said that I was required to get at least 1 per shift. Now I am required to get at least 1 per shift.
I can explain the benefits of subscriptions (a big push at my store these days), cartwheel and Redcards. Explaining is one thing, but salesmanship is a whole "nother skill set. Most people are not skilled in the art of sales. This is why sales people tend to be well compensated and why they usually get a commission off of the sales that they generate. Really doesn't make sense that they lowest paid workers in the store are expected to generate repeat sales (and larger shopping basket totals) by getting people to sign up for a RedCard. My store has more Redcards in the weeks that they offer a SB, giftcard or something that costs more than an .89 cent candy bar.

This doesn't mean that I think my other TM's don't deserve more benefits for going above and beyond when doing their jobs. I just don't know how to measure that or what Spot wants them to do to generate more sales. I just know that Spot shouldn't expect it's cashiers to have above average skills when its cashiers don't get paid anymore than cashiers at any other retailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back