Archived Target Treating TMs Like Walmart Does

• Thread starter PassinTime
  • Start date
  • Replies 61
  • Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
NO, dont need a treat to do my job which is cashier (scan customers items and accept their payment.) Target isn't paying for a salesperson.... This is why sales people tend to be well compensated and why they usually get a commission off of the sales that they generate. Really doesn't make sense that they lowest paid workers in the store are expected to generate repeat sales (and larger shopping basket totals) by getting people to sign up for a RedCard.

You are hired first and foremost as a salesperson. This is retail. Every single thing that is done in the building from signing to cleaning the bathroom is done with increasing sales and generating repeat business in mind. Target's mission statement says "Our mission is to make Target the preferred shopping destination for our guests by delivering outstanding value, continuous innovation and an exceptional guest experience by consistently fulfilling our Expect More. Pay Less.® brand promise." That equates to SALES. Your part of that is to sell RedCards in a way that makes Target the preferred shopping destination. Cashiers are not the lowest paid workers in the store; they are at the lowest paygrade. The lowest paygrade is usually given to the jobs that are the least required skills for all tms. Other workcenters, including the salesfloor, are paygrade 3 and begin at minimum wage. All tm's are expected to promote RedCards (not a cashier or salesfloor tm, but I talk it up on the floor and average 1 per week, not a lot, but again, I am not a cashier.) Every tm in our building can cashier. Every tm should be able to sell our merchandise. Not every cashier or salesfloor tm are trained to do other jobs. (Some are, but not all.) No tm gets a commission. I haven't seen the core roles of a cashier, but I would bet it doesn't only say "scan merchandise, collect payment and bag merchandise". Perhaps it isn't spelled out in quota numbers, but it is our job to help the company meet the corporate financial goals. RedCards, subscriptions, using flexible fulfillment, selling attachments and warranties, promoting Cartwheel are all a part of that ("continuous innovation"). If you feel strongly that you were hired without being given a true description of your duties, talk to HR about it to clear it up. If nothing else, it may help them to be better at describing job requirements when giving a job offer. Talk to your GSTL about how you can better "sell" the RedCard if you don't think that educating guests is enough. It may be a help for them to know that you are trying and that you want to succeed.

@Onizuka hit the nail on the head with the Macy's comparison.

I honestly can't believe there are people here defending the Redcard (they must be TLs).

@Rarejem

cashier team member
https://nro01.target.com/ape/jobcatalog/welcome.do?_ga=1.212082902.372339784.1442210822
job id 5093866
date posted 08/31/2015
location minneapolis, mn – united states

Description: Want to work with a team that has fun every day by helping guests and making them happy. Offering a fast checkout and genuine interaction with every guest by being friendly and respectful. Be empowered to make decisions and resolve guest concerns in a courteous, helpful manner. Educate guests on REDcard benefits and all the ways the guest can save, pay and shop through digital tools and services. Use excellent guest service skills. Strong work ethic and integrity. Inspired by the merchandise we sell. Learn new technology and enjoys solving problems. Values learning, growth, development and has interest to cross train and work in other areas of the store as needed. Quickly and accurately scan and bag all items, handles money and collect payments. Target merchandise discount. Competitive pay. Flexible scheduling.

Morale is pretty damn good at my store, since we got approved for another base pay increase (up to 10.50), and with all the new hires we're actually well-staffed for once since we're preparing for Q4. If our hours remain the same throughout all of Q4, it might not quite be enough for during the peak, but it's great for where we are at now. I've actually had a couple of shifts where I've had too many cashiers and not enough working registers, because of them constantly crashing since the chip update and yada yada. Past few days we've actually been able to lend out a few cashiers to help hardlines and softlines do reshop.

I wouldn't view anyone suggesting the redcard sign up commissions to be expecting to get a "treat" for doing their job. If you want to push people to sell something, you attach an incentive to do so. Doesn't have to be huge, like $.25 per redcard signup. With that kind of incentive, you might be pleasantly surprised at how many cashiers would push redcards harder than their superiors even do and be more diligent about learning how to sell it to as many guests as possible. Am I saying that their hourly pay shouldn't be their incentive? No. But if cashiers started with an hourly base pay of say, 8.75, with the possibility to make $.25 for every redcard sign up (up to a maximum based on length of the shift averaging 1/hr worked) per shift, it might be the boot in their ass they need to really WANT to push those sign ups, lest it reflect a lower than average paycheck.

I wouldn't view anyone suggesting the redcard sign up commissions to be expecting to get a "treat" for doing their job. If you want to push people to sell something, you attach an incentive to do so. Doesn't have to be huge, like $.25 per redcard signup. With that kind of incentive, you might be pleasantly surprised at how many cashiers would push redcards harder than their superiors even do and be more diligent about learning how to sell it to as many guests as possible. Am I saying that their hourly pay shouldn't be their incentive? No. But if cashiers started with an hourly base pay of say, 8.75, with the possibility to make $.25 for every redcard sign up (up to a maximum based on length of the shift averaging 1/hr worked) per shift, it might be the boot in their ass they need to really WANT to push those sign ups, lest it reflect a lower than average paycheck.

I've always used starbucks as a good motivator. If one of my cashiers gets a bunch of Red Cards, I'll get them something from Starbucks as recognition. Some people would be more motivated by getting $.25 for every Red Card, but others would be more satisfied with having their efforts acknowledged with something besides money.

I've always used starbucks as a good motivator. If one of my cashiers gets a bunch of Red Cards, I'll get them something from Starbucks as recognition. Some people would be more motivated by getting $.25 for every Red Card, but others would be more satisfied with having their efforts acknowledged with something besides money.

Well what about like a points system? Like for every redcard signup you gain a set number of points which could be saved up indefinitely and then redeemed for things like Starbucks or food Ave, gift cards, extra discount coupons, etc.? I can't speak for anyone else, but, you're right, it's nice to be informally recognized for doing a good job. It's even better, though, if it's formal recognition with something of monetary value. Don't get me wrong, I'd take free Starbucks all day long, but honestly, at work, I'd rather get paid for doing well (in the same fashion that most other retailers and salespeople in just about every field imaginable get) instead of getting coffee. In fact, if it's coming out of your pocket, I'd rather have the $4 you'd spend on that coffee instead.

That's just my two cents tho. I'm not even a cashier, but I've worked in a job that was hourly + commission on up-sales before. It was the most rewarding and pleasant job I've ever had and my superiors didn't have to breathe down my neck the entire day to make me want to sell extras and provide the best service I could.

Some stores used to do that in the form of Bullseye bucks or what have you.
We used to stock some pretty neat prizes from the company store until the store offerings went south.
Then we offered neat things from the floor - accessory items, DVDs, home items, hoodies & the like before corp put an end to that so they mainly offered Starbucks (I had a pretty hefty stack every week) but even that's getting pretty old now.

That's a shame. It's really difficult to make people want to do that little something extra when it's overshadowed by the constant nagging to do so because of a contractual obligation and making their job depend on it. I dunno, that just sounds like something that wouldn't get me amped up to do much more than the bare minimum I'm required to do.

Well what about like a points system? Like for every redcard signup you gain a set number of points which could be saved up indefinitely and then redeemed for things like Starbucks or food Ave, gift cards, extra discount coupons, etc.? I can't speak for anyone else, but, you're right, it's nice to be informally recognized for doing a good job. It's even better, though, if it's formal recognition with something of monetary value. Don't get me wrong, I'd take free Starbucks all day long, but honestly, at work, I'd rather get paid for doing well (in the same fashion that most other retailers and salespeople in just about every field imaginable get) instead of getting coffee. In fact, if it's coming out of your pocket, I'd rather have the $4 you'd spend on that coffee instead.

That's just my two cents tho. I'm not even a cashier, but I've worked in a job that was hourly + commission on up-sales before. It was the most rewarding and pleasant job I've ever had and my superiors didn't have to breathe down my neck the entire day to make me want to sell extras and provide the best service I could.

We tried to run a game board for a while. Basically, it was a map of our store and there were dots going along different paths to reach the "End" and for every RedCard you got, you advanced one space. every 5 spaces or so there was a prize, something like a food ave pizza, an extra 15 minute break, a $5 movie, something like that. We stopped doing it because it was hard to keep track of.

We tried to run a game board for a while. Basically, it was a map of our store and there were dots going along different paths to reach the "End" and for every RedCard you got, you advanced one space. every 5 spaces or so there was a prize, something like a food ave pizza, an extra 15 minute break, a $5 movie, something like that. We stopped doing it because it was hard to keep track of.

Sounds like it would be hard to keep track of, but it's definitely a neat creative twist on what I had suggested.

I was thinking about this a little deeper earlier and honestly the only way to accurately keep track of it would be to reference tm #'s attached to the card applications and then being required to enter that data somewhere in the application process (would also account for those that decide to apply online, but were referred to it while in the store). Doing it this way ensures that the target system keeps a running tally of which TM's signed up which guests and how many guests in total that TM had outfitted with shiny red cards.

I feel like I could come up with a million different cool ways to implement such a system, but alas, I'm not a dev nor have I even seen any software used in the store yet, so I'd be spinning my wheels. Lol

@Rarejem

cashier team member
job id 5093866
date posted 08/31/2015
location minneapolis, mn – united states

Description: Want to work with a team that has fun every day by helping guests and making them happy. Offering a fast checkout and genuine interaction with every guest by being friendly and respectful. Be empowered to make decisions and resolve guest concerns in a courteous, helpful manner. Educate guests on REDcard benefits and all the ways the guest can save, pay and shop through digital tools and services. Use excellent guest service skills. Strong work ethic and integrity. Inspired by the merchandise we sell. Learn new technology and enjoys solving problems. Values learning, growth, development and has interest to cross train and work in other areas of the store as needed. Quickly and accurately scan and bag all items, handles money and collect payments. Target merchandise discount. Competitive pay. Flexible scheduling.
This is a job posting, not your job description (I should have said core role). They are not the same thing at all, but I sense that you're unhappy and I don't like to argue so darn! They tricked you!

Last edited:
This is a job posting, not your job description (I should have said core role). They are not the same thing at all, but I sense that you're unhappy and I don't like to argue so darn! They tricked you!
Actually I'm not a cashier and have never even touched a register.

But my point is where are these magical "core roles" listed that an applicant would get to look at before being hired?

What I posted is the standard copy and paste job description that most stores use for cashiers, and if the underlined points are actually NOT true, then there's a hell of a lot of cashiers out there who have been deceived as to what their actual job is.

But my point is where are these magical "core roles" listed that an applicant would get to look at before being hired?

What I posted is the standard copy and paste job description that most stores use for cashiers, and if the underlined points are actually NOT true, then there's a hell of a lot of cashiers out there who have been deceived as to what their actual job is.
But would that really surprise you?

That's one thing about working for the government.
When they post a job description it is detailed and complete, there are no surprises.
Of course, you also better be prepared to handle every aspect of that list to the T.

Look, if you don't like the responsibilities of your job, transfer workcenters, quit, whatever. Sorry spot tricked you, but retail isn't exactly the most honest industry.

I get it, you feel you would deserve commission for "selling" redcards. When I was working for a local pizzeria, should I have been given commission for upselling customers (Guests?) garlic butter or breadsticks even though that wasn't in my job description?

You can choose to be there for just a paycheck, nothing more. Or you can choose to work. Your move.

The tough part is many of the cashiers are trapped in a Catch 22.
They are threatened with being fired if they don't produce red cards even when they are asking every guest customer.
So they ask to be transferred to another work center.
Well, they aren't performing up to par as cashiers because they aren't getting red cards so they aren't allowed to transfer.

Some people aren't good at pressure selling, it just doesn't come naturally to them.
That kind of skill can be especially difficult to develop while at the same time handling the cash register.
There are companies that spend weeks training people to sell products like the Red Card before they put their people on the floor, complete with sales methods and ways of overcoming objections.
If Spot wants to get the numbers they are demanding they have to do the same thing.

Look, if you don't like the responsibilities of your job, transfer workcenters, quit, whatever. Sorry spot tricked you, but retail isn't exactly the most honest industry.

I get it, you feel you would deserve commission for "selling" redcards. When I was working for a local pizzeria, should I have been given commission for upselling customers (Guests?) garlic butter or breadsticks even though that wasn't in my job description?

You can choose to be there for just a paycheck, nothing more. Or you can choose to work. Your move.

Oh my, what an empathetic soul, but no need to be sorry

As for your example of up selling someone garlic butter....let's at least compare apples to apples. Asking someone to pay a few cents more for butter is very different than asking someone to provide their social security number to a retailer that had a MAJOR security breach. Furthermore, this action also will impact a person's credit history/score.

Anyway, I do alright on my RCs. The pressure that the managers apply is more of an annoyance than anything. I find it frustrating that what is actually expected of me is not what was explained to me when I was interviewed/hired, however, I digress. Yet when Spot ups his game and offers a bonus/reward for getting RCs, my productivity goes up. Coincidence??

Last edited by a moderator:
The tough part is many of the cashiers are trapped in a Catch 22.
They are threatened with being fired if they don't produce red cards even when they are asking every guest customer.
So they ask to be transferred to another work center.
Well, they aren't performing up to par as cashiers because they aren't getting red cards so they aren't allowed to transfer.
If if they ARE good at selling red cards, the front end isn't gonna let them go so it IS a Catch 22.

Oh my, what an empathetic soul, but no need to be sorry

As for your example of up selling someone garlic butter....let's at least compare apples to apples. Asking someone to pay a few cents more for butter is very different than asking someone to provide their social security number to a retailer that had a MAJOR security breach. Furthermore, this action also will impact a person's credit history/score.

Anyway, I do alright on my RCs. The pressure that the managers apply is more of an annoyance than anything. I find it frustrating that what is actually expected of me is not what was explained to me when I was interviewed/hired, however, I digress. Yet when Spot ups his game and offers a bonus/reward for getting RCs, my productivity goes up. Coincidence??

I do agree that selling RCs should be mentioned during the interview, fair is fair.
However, it is in Cashier tm core roles, that shouldve been given to all new hires.
The biggest thing is, there shouldn't have to be incentive/bonus/reward for getting RCs... its like saying salesfloor TMs should be getting bonus rewards for completing zones or helping a guest find a product... its their role! The reward is, they get paid! I agree with rewarding maybe a standout team member every month for either being the top or most improved, but it should not be a daily thing, as that encourages a culture of pampering rewards for something that should be a job role.

I do agree that selling RCs should be mentioned during the interview, fair is fair.
However, it is in Cashier tm core roles, that shouldve been given to all new hires.
The biggest thing is, there shouldn't have to be incentive/bonus/reward for getting RCs... its like saying salesfloor TMs should be getting bonus rewards for completing zones or helping a guest find a product... its their role! The reward is, they get paid! I agree with rewarding maybe a standout team member every month for either being the top or most improved, but it should not be a daily thing, as that encourages a culture of pampering rewards for something that should be a job role.

You are still missing the point. Cashiering is cashiering. Working flow or sales floor is just that.
Salesmanship is another skill set. You can't teach people to be effective salespeople. Taking a guest to a product they can't locate is not an act of sales! Most people are truly not skilled in the art of sales. Target doesn't advertise their jobs in a way to attract people with these skills or compensate their TMs to have the skills either.

You and others have referenced these ultra secret "core roles", but I haven't come across a cashier, flow TM or sales floor TM who has actually been provided a copy of them. I honestly can't recall someone posting them here either when these conversations pop up from time to time.

Back to my point. Cashier wage is going to get Target cashiers. Same for sales floor, and so on. Target wants genuine sales people, Target should be willing and able to compensate accordingly, or as you call it, "pampering rewards." Stockholders and management shouldn't be the only parties benefiting off of the efforts of the TMs.

My store always exceeds RC goals/quotas when something extra is offered. Coincidence? ?

Anyway, I get paid to be a cashier. I do the duties of a cashier and will ask a guest to get a Red Card and educate them about its benefits. Sell a RedCard...well...that's different than asking.

There is a reason why TMs are not excited about RedCards. Most are not skilled at or rewarded for pushing them. Most management, store level and corporate, doesn't have to push them but reaps the benefits of meeting quota. Until Target gets this right, people will continue to post here about them to vent, rant, etc. If this were to become newsworthy like the wage increase last year, Target might have to change its approach to RedCard sign ups. Consumer pressure and social media are quite powerful.

You are still missing the point. Cashiering is cashiering. Working flow or sales floor is just that.
Salesmanship is another skill set. You can't teach people to be effective salespeople. Taking a guest to a product they can't locate is not an act of sales! Most people are truly not skilled in the art of sales. Target doesn't advertise their jobs in a way to attract people with these skills or compensate their TMs to have the skills either.

You and others have referenced these ultra secret "core roles", but I haven't come across a cashier, flow TM or sales floor TM who has actually been provided a copy of them. I honestly can't recall someone posting them here either when these conversations pop up from time to time.

Back to my point. Cashier wage is going to get Target cashiers. Same for sales floor, and so on. Target wants genuine sales people, Target should be willing and able to compensate accordingly, or as you call it, "pampering rewards." Stockholders and management shouldn't be the only parties benefiting off of the efforts of the TMs.

My store always exceeds RC goals/quotas when something extra is offered. Coincidence? ?

Anyway, I get paid to be a cashier. I do the duties of a cashier and will ask a guest to get a Red Card and educate them about its benefits. Sell a RedCard...well...that's different than asking.

There is a reason why TMs are not excited about RedCards. Most are not skilled at or rewarded for pushing them. Most management, store level and corporate, doesn't have to push them but reaps the benefits of meeting quota. Until Target gets this right, people will continue to post here about them to vent, rant, etc. If this were to become newsworthy like the wage increase last year, Target might have to change its approach to RedCard sign ups. Consumer pressure and social media are quite powerful.

While you can't magically gift someone the skill to be a good salesman, you can give them the tools to develop their ability. Especially since a lot of the people who are applying for the position are minors who have never had to sell anything in their lives, they need some basic instruction on how to pitch it correctly and how to fluff the benefits of the RedCard.

While you can't magically gift someone the skill to be a good salesman, you can give them the tools to develop their ability. Especially since a lot of the people who are applying for the position are minors who have never had to sell anything in their lives, they need some basic instruction on how to pitch it correctly and how to fluff the benefits of the RedCard.

I agree with that, to some extent. Give people the tools and you will likely see some decent improvement. However, sometimes you just gotta move in for the kill! Not everyone can do that, so they aren't likely to get 2, 3, 4, or more in one day on a regular basis.

We have different opinions then. Based on yours, the Cashier position then, may as well be based on commission if rewards and incentives are constantly needed for cashier tms to ask guests to sign up for RCs.

When you are asking guests to sign up for RCs you are basically selling RCs. You are educating them about the benefits. Agreed? Well on the same spectrum, salesfloor tms are responsible for not only "locating items" for guests, but 'engaging, educating, and selling' products for guests- they are trained to suggest products for the guest to add to basket size. This is also selling, its the definition of selling! This is why they are called salesfloor team members!

There should not be constant rewards based on getting Redcards. Like I said, it leverages a culture where, if no incentives were given, no tms would try to get RCs. I've seen stores that drive daily/sometimes hourly rewards such as sign up for a redcard in the next hour and get an extra 15 minute break. Its a failing mindset to have. Its a core role to drive the redcard program just as its a core role for salesfloor to vibe with guests. However, there should be monthly/weekly competitions, as this is an awesome way to drive the redcard program as well as see top/bottom performers.

We have different opinions then. Based on yours, the Cashier position then, may as well be based on commission if rewards and incentives are constantly needed for cashier tms to ask guests to sign up for RCs

When you are asking guests to sign up for RCs you are basically selling RCs. You are educating them about the benefits. Agreed? Well on the same spectrwould heesfloor tms are responsible for not only "locating items" for guests, but 'engaging, educating, and selling' products for guests- they are trained to suggest products for the guest to add to basket size. This is also selling, its the definition of selling! This is why they are called salesfloor team members!

There should not be constant rewards based on getting Redcards. Like I said, it leverages a culture where, if no incentives were given, no tms would try to get RCs. I've seen stores that drive daily/sometimes hourly rewards such as sign up for a redcard in the next hour and get an extra 15 minute break. Its a failing mindset to have. Its a core role to drive the redcard program just as its a core role for salesfloor to vibe with guests. However, there should be monthly/weekly competitions, as this is an awesome way to drive the redcard program as well as see top/bottom performers.

No where in my post did I state that a cashier needs a reward to ASK or EDUCATE about RCs. We seem to disagree on asking vs. actually getting a RedCard sign up. Educating a guest about the benefits of RC is one thing, sign up is another. Sign up requires the guest to provide personal info to the retailer with one of the largest data breaches in US history, some guests don't want a hit to the credit report, etc These aren't even considerations when a floor person tries to upsell a throw pillow that would go geat with that comforter you are looking at. That is where that salesmanship can come into play in getting a RC. Also, no one from my store's sales floor has ever mentioned getting written up for not asking every guest about upselling or that they didn't meet their upselling quota.

I am going to guess you are not a TM. Your expectations suggest management at some level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back