Archived Target Vet; New to Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo90

Sr GSTL
Hey Everyone!

I'm a Guest Service Team Leader and I'm brand new to these forums. I'm excited to see what I can learn and help others learn on this forum.

Little bit about me:

I recently did my 4th-round interview for Senior Team Leader. I'm in school for Business. Graduating in a couple years. I've worked almost everywhere in Target, but my biggest goal right now is to become an Executive Team Leader so that I may move on to even better things with Target in the future.

Glad to be here!

Last edited:
One more thing change the time frame. You are the first one I have heard in that job. Congrats!

Last edited:
Thank you. I've been a TL for 10 months now and working for TGT for only 3 years. =) Big step.

Welcome to The Break Room! I didn't know GSTLs could be Senior TLs. Then again, what does a lowly cashier know about leadership?

Welcome to The Break Room! I didn't know GSTLs could be Senior TLs. Then again, what does a lowly cashier know about leadership?

Bingo!!

I think that most people look at cashiers as being "the bottom of the barrel." However, we cashiers know better because we are the greatest!

Seriously, most of the time cashiers are looked down on as failures who can't find anything better to do or have no other skills.

Bingo!!

I think that most people look at cashiers as being "the bottom of the barrel." However, we cashiers know better because we are the greatest!

Seriously, most of the time cashiers are looked down on as failures who can't find anything better to do or have no other skills.

I was actually referring to the way the store's structure of leadership works (TLs, SrTLs, ETLs, etc.), not actually being a leader. But I agree. It's probably because it's one of the easiest and dullest jobs, and people think anyone off the street can do it. And we get crap hours, even this time of year. In my store, almost every cashier wants to be cross-trained. Not necessarily for prestige, but for better hours and less boredom. Some of them actually enjoy cashing, but they need a better paycheck.

Now that I think about it, as far as that whole "bottom of the barrel" perception, forget cashiers - more like the cleaning crew and cart attendants (no offense to any cart attendants who are reading this - only because you guys have to brave the elements, dodge traffic, and [shudder] clean the restrooms). It seems like the more work you actually do and the more physical your job is, the less prestige there is.

I absolutely do not think cashiers or cart attendants are the bottom of the barrel. I take great care selecting each new team member that I hire for my team. My peer and I actually get angry when other TL's or ETL's interview for our dept, and we dont take just anyone off the street.

Cashiers are iconic of Target and need to exude the brand - they're the last people our guests see when they leave the building, so its our last chance to deliver great guest service.

Cart Attendants play a critical role in 'Best Looking Stores.' Our guests shop in our stores because they are clean and clutter free, and our Cart Attendants (unfortunately, too often dont) take credit for that by ensuring they have the tools they need to shop (carts/handbaskets) and that the facilities are well maintained.

^^ Sound like I drank the Target Kool-Aid, but I genuinely love what I do. And Typically, Senior Team Leaders aren't supposed to be GSTL's (according to some random un-written rule). GSTL's are the most global position in the store, so it only makes sense. It's how we convinced my STL.

I was actually referring to the way the store's structure of leadership works (TLs, SrTLs, ETLs, etc.), not actually being a leader. But I agree. It's probably because it's one of the easiest and dullest jobs, and people think anyone off the street can do it. And we get crap hours, even this time of year. In my store, almost every cashier wants to be cross-trained. Not necessarily for prestige, but for better hours and less boredom. Some of them actually enjoy cashing, but they need a better paycheck.

Now that I think about it, as far as that whole "bottom of the barrel" perception, forget cashiers - more like the cleaning crew and cart attendants (no offense to any cart attendants who are reading this - only because you guys have to brave the elements, dodge traffic, and [shudder] clean the restrooms). It seems like the more work you actually do and the more physical your job is, the less prestige there is.

Being an ex-cart attendant, I pretty much agree with what Roo said.. Cart Attendants are critical in store brand, and they are definitely not "bottom of the barrel".

That being said, not every Cashier or Cart Attendant is a high performer, but the same can be said of almost any workcenter, Front End just happens to be the biggest. I take pride in developing our Cart Attendants on brand management, and make sure they get the recognition they deserve, so they don't feel like they are peons that no one cares about. That being said we do have a couple of debbie downers who think they are peons, and they despise Target leadership due to all their negativity :(

Welcome to The Break Room Roo, glad to see a fellow GSA/GSTL :) Grats on your Sr.TL promotion!

I think Sr TL makes the most sense as a GSTL. I know a Sr that is a POG TL and that's just craziness.

Being an ex-cart attendant, I pretty much agree with what Roo said.. Cart Attendants are critical in store brand, and they are definitely not "bottom of the barrel".

That being said, not every Cashier or Cart Attendant is a high performer, but the same can be said of almost any workcenter, Front End just happens to be the biggest. I take pride in developing our Cart Attendants on brand management, and make sure they get the recognition they deserve, so they don't feel like they are peons that no one cares about. That being said we do have a couple of debbie downers who think they are peons, and they despise Target leadership due to all their negativity :(

Welcome to The Break Room Roo, glad to see a fellow GSA/GSTL :) Grats on your Sr.TL promotion!

Very true. Especially when it comes to cart attendants, I give them a lot of credit. They work very hard to maintain the brand image, even if it means (literally) cleaning up s**t. But only us Target people seem to understand that. A typical guest would probably think we were too lazy/uneducated/whatever to do anything else. Which is complete bull****. People seem to think that those who work the hardest contribute the least to society. They judge based on wages rather than workload.

Cashiers are iconic of Target and need to exude the brand - they're the last people our guests see when they leave the building, so its our last chance to deliver great guest service.

I said this ALL THE TIME when I was in the front end, and I'm really glad to see people in other stores are saying the same thing.

Very true. Especially when it comes to cart attendants, I give them a lot of credit. They work very hard to maintain the brand image, even if it means (literally) cleaning up s**t. But only us Target people seem to understand that. A typical guest would probably think we were too lazy/uneducated/whatever to do anything else. Which is complete bull****. People seem to think that those who work the hardest contribute the least to society. They judge based on wages rather than workload.

Wanna come work on my team? =) I wish more and more of my people had your attitude! (Dont get me wrong, I love my team. Just some of them can be downers)

I said this ALL THE TIME when I was in the front end, and I'm really glad to see people in other stores are saying the same thing.

One of our GSTLs is really intense about this. And, go figure, she was the one in charge of my training last year and I'm on her "team" for that alignment thing. So I get to hear it more than most of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back