Target will not cross train me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work Flow Over Night and have been for almost a year now. Six months in I was asking to be cross trained since they were getting a lot of new hires for our team. I have asked my team LOD and the leader of the area I wish to train in. Both of them just tell me they will talk to HR. I was already team member of the month for my second training month and know how to do everything on flow except for the back stock side of the line. Faster then everyone else and most of the time work Toys/Sporting Goods and Seasonal all solo and have them done in about an hour in a half. I work six days a week and max out my hours so they aren't withholding hours.

The other area I want to know is just Backroom, it feels like they do not believe I could do it. Is there something I should or shouldn't be doing? We do not have a pleasant HR and I really do not want to talk to her. Whenever she is actually there that is. I don't want to be that guy who works B everyday for example. Please any suggestions on what to do, what I am doing wrong or who to go to?

Sounds like you work flow team. Have you asked the dayside back room tl for training?

Yes and with the same results. I asked some back room team members about it and they say "you're too valuable to _____'s team" which I am starting to feel is a crock of sh!t. I thought that FINALLY convincing them to release me from Ad Team would open up hours and allow for training but no unfortunately.

I was stuck in Food Ave trying to get moved to Salesfloor/Electronics for 3 years with the excuse, "Food Ave has a high turnover and no one wants to work there. We need you to stay in Food Ave until we can find someone willing to work there in your place."

I was stuck in Food Ave trying to get moved to Salesfloor/Electronics for 3 years with the excuse, "Food Ave has a high turnover and no one wants to work there. We need you to stay in Food Ave until we can find someone willing to work there in your place."

Our Flow Team has a high turnover rate with most new hires quitting or being so bad that they are fired. Still some of our team is pretty bad. My team lead even says good luck with trying to leave the team and leaves it at that. If I am not learning new things I start to feel stagnant and maybe I should be looking for other work instead if this is going nowhere?

A lot of the flow team members that they are hiring at our store at getting at least a couple days of training for backroom day....I'm pretty sure since they've run out of people who know what they are doing back there except for those of us who actually work backroom day, they are looking for people for covering call-ins, busy times, and eventually transferring the bad ones (why give up the good ones?)

I tried for a long time to get out of the fitting room, but even when my work center changed from sales floor to photo, I was still getting scheduled back there. I threatened to quit, so they didn't schedule me back there for 2 weeks...and then I was there weekly until I left last August. Same reason...couldn't find anyone to work there.

I had asked almost every logistics ETL if I could get trained in the backroom (because we always needed extra help back there), and I got the run around...a LOT. Finally, the backroom TL trained me on the wave, and six months later, I had a friend (who was a backroom TM) train me. It helped that I was doing hanging on the wave during the winter. I guess leadership stop fighting me, because then I got trained on the stacker and the baler, and was able to pick up lots of shifts back there.

I'm not saying go behind their backs (since you've only been there a year) but keep looking for opportunities to get trained. I got lucky that our store went through a remodel two months after I got trained, so backroom shifts were doled out like candy. Plus we had someone give up her shifts a lot...that helped me get my foot in the door.

Communication, too, is key. Go to your TL, the dayside backroom TL, the ETL, and (if you must) the STL.

Of course, if you're really valuable, threatening to leave may work...I did it twice, and I got moved from cashier to sales floor and that 2 weeks I was out of the fitting room...

Interview for promotions, too, even if you're not serious about them. It shows that you're interested in your job, and that you'd like to learn new areas.

Same thing happened to me. I guess some store leads' just want certain employees to remain complacent with what tasks they are given. A complete and utter shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back