Archived Target Won't Sell Beyoncé's New Album

Status
Not open for further replies.
"While Beyoncé's new fast-selling self-titled album is sure to be on many Christmas wish lists, there's at least one major retailer that's opting not to sell the album: Target.

"At Target we focus on offering our guests a wide assortment of physical CDs, and when a new album is available digitally before it is available physically, it impacts demand and sales projections," Target spokesperson Erica Julkowski tells Billboard."

Link here: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5839840/target-wont-sell-beyonce-new-album-walmart-retail

Stupid Target. Losing all that business to Wally World, Best Buy, Amazon, etc. Not to mention the headache for Electronics when uninformed guests ask where the new Beyoncé album is.

Really dumb.
This album has a lot of buzz and I'm sure they would have made plenty of money even with the digital version out first.

Technically speaking, the majority of major album releases are available digitally before they are physically because of the accessibility iTunes, Amazon, Google, etc all provide to music via pre-order. You can literally download a new release the second after it drops, whereas you might have to wait until the next business day if you wanted to buy a physical copy in-store. And besides, you just don't disrespect Queen Bey like that... uh uhhhh.

I agree with all of you above, but personally I'm quite relieved. Just hearing the name Beyonce gives me flashbacks to her previous album release when Target played one of her songs on a loop 24/7 for a week. If I never hear it again it will be too soon.

I agree with all of you above, but personally I'm quite relieved. Just hearing the name Beyonce gives me flashbacks to her previous album release when Target played one of her songs on a loop 24/7 for a week. If I never hear it again it will be too soon.

Better that than when it was Refill by Elle Varner last year... I will never get the screeching "can I get a REEEEEFIIIIILLLLLLL" out of my head.

So Target decides to make no money on a record breaking CD because they though they would make less money on it do a digital release? On top of that they make it clear to people that Target is not the first place you should go to find a hit CD because they might not have it. What idiot thought that was a good idea?

This is an old policy. They did the same to Frank Ocean and a few other people I don't care enough about to remember. Bey's last album only sold about 1.5 million copies in the states. Target accounts for about 5% of album sales. iTunes is #1 in that with some large percentage, and King Bey is already beyond platinum... and expected to sell about 300,000 copies this week. Target isn't losing much from the album, specifically. Buut, the Stans (aka the Beyhive) who doesn't understand that might "boycott" Target, so that could hurt for a week or two.

I did consider buying a physical copy in addition to the iTunes one, though. Then I realized it probably comes with an SD DVD.

Who's beyonce?

4qlah.gif

and Garth Brooks box set 6 cds is only sold at Wal-Mart !

Amazon is following suit with Target. They're not carrying Beyonce either. Is Target being a hypocrite though? Wasn't jayz's last album available digitally first before it hit stores?

Amazon is following suit with Target. They're not carrying Beyonce either. Is Target being a hypocrite though? Wasn't jayz's last album available digitally first before it hit stores?

#shotsfired

Amazon and Target v. Beyonce.

Interesting.

I've had nobody ask for it in electronics.

I like Beyonc� but my bf and I watched all the videos and we only liked maybe one or two songs from it. Was pretty weird, it will probably grow on us.

MCHG doesn't really count just because it was only available to galaxy s3+ phone users. And since it was free to them, there was still a chance that the people who got those would buy a physical copy. WTT's itunes exclusive on the standard edition was only 4-days long, so maybe that influenced the decision? Buut, there was subsequently a Best Buy exclusive on the physical copies of the deluxe edition for 2 weeks and I don't think Target carried that one.

I live for this new Bey, though lol. She's so dirty and she's not hiding her accent, or her hood-tendencies. Not so pristine and inaccessible, like Matthew always presented her. Not sure it has as much crossover appeal as her last album, though

Surprisingly I haven't had one guest ask where this album is, and I didn't even know about it until this thread. I don't think CD's are a big profit maker for spot anyway with the advent of iTunes and MP3 players.

omg. One of my seasonal coworkers told a guest on the phone that we had it. She checked in the pda because whoever was in the fitting room with her didn't know, either, and they couldn't get electronics to pick up. She saw results for Beyoncé and just assumed. I walked in two seconds too late to tell her we didn't have it.

*whispers* I prefer to buy physical albums, still. I almost never actually use the CD, though. Spotify premium ftw. Physical copies are now cheaper than itunes/amazon/google play a lot of the time. Orr, they're the same price but it feels like more bang per buck because you get a physical book/cd. Or Target has an exclusive edition of Janelle Monae's album and I have no choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back