Archived Taxes...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiminy

I'd like to order 1 large person with extra people
How do you guys do your taxes?

It'll be my first time so trying to get some idea of how to do this...

I did HR Block. Literally took me five minutes (because I'm boring with no deductions and I'm someone elses dependent)

If you are not married, no kids and you don't own a house go turbo tax, yours should be quick and easy. And make sure you have all W2's, if you worked more than one job last year.

Welcome to adulthood. :)

I've been using TurboTax for years so they know me pretty well by now. They have the absolute zero package, which is great if you're just a basic file-er

If you are not married, no kids and you don't own a house go 1099EZ, yours should be quick and easy. And make sure you have all W2's, if you worked more than one job last year.

Welcome to adulthood. :)

FTFY

Don't waste your money on Turbo Tax if your personal situation is so simple that following the instructions on the tax form is quicker than installing the software.

Last edited:
TurboTax! I have a friend who lets me use the pro version for free, and I just spend 30-60 minutes answering really basic questions that TurboTax translates from the IRS forms. It will even import your W-2 for you if you get it electronically. It usually costs extra to file the state taxes, but it will let you go through all the questions and then just print off the completed form to mail in yourself.

If you're feeling adventurous and your expenses, income, and health insurance are pretty simple right now (still live at home), you can download the 1040EZ and fill it out yourself. I used to do it that way and it's not nearly as hard as it seems.

A relative of mine lives in the south and just takes his tax stuff into an H&R Block and they apparently do it for free.

Does anyone know when we should be getting them if we chose to have them mailed?
  1. W-2 – Wage Tax Statement

You are currently enrolled to receive your 2015 W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement) electronically.

Around Jan. 15, 2016 an e-mail will be sent to you from paperlessemployee.com notifying you that tax statements are available online. Please try logging in now to ensure you are able to access the site to view your tax statement.

Accessing the site:

1.Log in at www.paperlessemployee.com/Target

·Verify that your e-mail address is correct selecting Account Settings > View / Update Contact & Notification Options

2.Use Forgot User ID or Password links for assistance

3.For troubleshooting contact the HR Operations Center at 1-800-394-1885

Address

If you moved in the last year, please ensure Target has your correct address on file. Log in to insideTGT Pay & Benefits / eHR > more pay & benefits content > personal information & life events > address

Affordable Care Act Form (1095) - Benefits Tax Statement

New this year, Target is required to provide a 1095 form to team members that were eligible for medical benefits in 2015. If you receive the 1095 form, have it available when you file your taxes.

Receive it electronically – Sign up by Jan. 8:

1. Log in at www.paperlessemployee.com/Target

·Use your existing User ID and Password; do not create a new account

2.Select to receive your 1095 form electronically by selecting Account Settings > View / Update Contact & Notification Options

3.Save Notification Option Settings before logging out

Note: Electronic 1095 will be available around Jan. 22. If you do not sign up for an electronic 1095, and were eligible for medical benefits, you will receive a paper 1095 mailed to your home address on file.

FTFY

Don't waste your money on Turbo Tax if your personal situation is so simple that following the instructions on the tax form is quicker than installing the software.
Only the pro software costs money to install. You can submit your W-2 on the website for free.

If you are just doing the EZ form then TurboTax. If you have any interest bearing accounts, large expenses, mortgage...then go to H&R Block.

Go to irs.gov follow the links from that site. Irs will help with links for free returns if the return is fairly simple. But be sure it is irs.gov

Only the pro software costs money to install. You can submit your W-2 on the website for free.
Fair enough. I haven't touched tax software in many many years because I didn't like paying for something that isn't that hard to do myself. Doesn't change the fact that filling out a 1040 EZ takes less time than installing and running Turbo Tax. If you're single, no kids, no house, and have no college expenses or other stuff that's deductible, an EZ form takes less than 10 minutes to fill out.

In my case, I do my taxes the old fashioned way. Preparing tax statements is a part of my main job so it's nothing to me.

1. W-2 – Wage Tax Statement

You are currently enrolled to receive your 2015 W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement) electronically.

Around Jan. 15, 2016 an e-mail will be sent to you from paperlessemployee.com notifying you that tax statements are available online. Please try logging in now to ensure you are able to access the site to view your tax statement.

Accessing the site:

1.Log in at www.paperlessemployee.com/Target

·Verify that your e-mail address is correct selecting Account Settings > View / Update Contact & Notification Options

2.Use Forgot User ID or Password links for assistance

3.For troubleshooting contact the HR Operations Center at 1-800-394-1885

Address

If you moved in the last year, please ensure Target has your correct address on file. Log in to insideTGT Pay & Benefits / eHR > more pay & benefits content > personal information & life events > address

Affordable Care Act Form (1095) - Benefits Tax Statement

New this year, Target is required to provide a 1095 form to team members that were eligible for medical benefits in 2015. If you receive the 1095 form, have it available when you file your taxes.

Receive it electronically – Sign up by Jan. 8:

1. Log in at www.paperlessemployee.com/Target

·Use your existing User ID and Password; do not create a new account

2.Select to receive your 1095 form electronically by selecting Account Settings > View / Update Contact & Notification Options

3.Save Notification Option Settings before logging out

Note: Electronic 1095 will be available around Jan. 22. If you do not sign up for an electronic 1095, and were eligible for medical benefits, you will receive a paper 1095 mailed to your home address on file.

I know that. I didn't sign up for electronic I was wondering when its mailed out, so I'm guessing Jan 22 as well then.

Pretty sure they have to be postmarked by the January 31st. So sometime after that if not earlier.

That's what I was figuring. Wasn't sure since this would be my first tax forms from target. Thank you!

I would just fill out the forms if NY had an "EZ" form. You basically have to be an accountant to navigate the IT-201.

Love TurboTax. Free federal AND state taxes, and it's very easy.

I've had to pay to do my state taxes on TurboTax the last couple years, but it beats the hell out of dealing with all the paperwork and calling my parents' "guy" to ask a million questions.

As I said in another thread, NY state income tax sucks ass if you're not eligible for any tax credits.

I would just fill out the forms if NY had an "EZ" form. You basically have to be an accountant to navigate the IT-201.
I just glanced over the IT-201, it doesn't look too bad. The first half looks like a copy of the 1040 until it starts getting into state specific stuff. If I have time next week, I'll try filling out a dummy one.

I'm lucky in that respect though. My state has no income tax so I only have to file the federal.

I used turbo tax last year and I remember it being really simple. This year I tried to use it and it kept telling me something weird that I was missing some certain things and it took me to some page and I had no idea what it was asking me. My mom couldnt even figure it out. So i switched over to h&R block and it was quick and easy

Fair enough. I haven't touched tax software in many many years because I didn't like paying for something that isn't that hard to do myself. Doesn't change the fact that filling out a 1040 EZ takes less time than installing and running Turbo Tax. If you're single, no kids, no house, and have no college expenses or other stuff that's deductible, an EZ form takes less than 10 minutes to fill out.

In my case, I do my taxes the old fashioned way. Preparing tax statements is a part of my main job so it's nothing to me.

You don't even have to install it. Been doing mine through their site for the last few years. I did mine and e-filed them last night. The federal was already accepted. Only thing annoying about the free one is that they show you ads for the paid version in between a few screens. I can't use the 1040ez, though.

I've had to pay to do my state taxes on TurboTax the last couple years, but it beats the hell out of dealing with all the paperwork and calling my parents' "guy" to ask a million questions.

You should be able to get all the way through the state taxes before it asks you to pay to file at the end. At that point, just print off your completed return and mail it in. Only costs 49 cents.

Sweet I got to work tonight and they had all of ours for those that didn't sign up for electronic.

Okay... so I don't think I signed up for getting the W2 electronically and I haven't gotten anything in the mail or irl yet...

I did ask HR about it and they were just like "you should be getting the W2... you did sign the tax forms right?" (which I think I did? ...don't they force you to during orientation?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back