...Guest Service?"
...the FRO?"
"Team walk your areas and check for any walkies or PDAs"
"Does anyone have an extra walkie for the CA?"
...crickets...
"Team does anyone have an LPDA for the LOD?"
Wait a minute...what?
... Seriously?

Sounds about right. My favorite is when I print out the equipment report in the morning and I see the pharmacy tech's name on a PDA from the day before. Of course it's no where to be found because it's in the pharmacy! Also when I see the same person has the same PDA every day. Hmmm...

Equipment report? Hmmm...
Who is allowed to access the report?
*Evil laugh in my head...

It used to be really bad at our store, but last summer we got more equipment, so there's only the occasional call for a PDA, and usually someone is willing to give one up. There are times when, as the GSA, I cannot get an lpda to save my life...that's when things get difficult...especially when they are being used by ETLs who aren't on the floor at all or by TMs who have no reason to be using them.

You're right about people giving up their walkies! Our equipment shortage is out of control. I've noticed lately the SrTLs and even ETLs are using the regular walkies w/o channel 6 more and more. Wonder what happened to all of their walkies...

Not sure about your store but at mine the only people using AP-capable walkies (intentionally as far as I kn0w) are the ETL-AP, APTL, TPS, and STL.

We've brought back equipment logging for PDAs only. So far it's actually working pretty well. Walkies are FFA but we have quite a few of them so they're only in short supply normally on truck day mornings...I keep mine stashed in a locker. I'm a bad person but it blows pretty hard to try and run the front end without one, or do service desk, and I'm there 5-6 days a week for 6-8 hours so it sees plenty of use.

Our walkies and chargers are so old and defective m..ost walkies don't even charge and in order for pda chargers to work at all we have to put stuff on top of it to make the charge even work... so lack of equipment isn't really a factor at my store.. but we are in short supply as well

Cel The STL, ETLs, SRTLs and AP all use those walkies at our store. Or they did. Our walkies and PDAs lie. They have their little green light on and claim they're fully charged but by the time you get out to the sales floor with them they die! I don't trust any of them!

Yes! I grabbed a walkie yesterday morning (always grab one with a green light) and within 15 minutes, it was beeping at me.

Pharmacy has some very strictly timed things for ordering, and not having a PDA was a HUGE issue. HUGE.

They finally put a charging station in there with some, so the STL and such get theirs from there too now.

Don't ever get into it with the STL over equipment. I learned that the hard way. I basically got lectured for the dummies at my store that break and/or steal the PDAs and walkies. I got told about how hard it is for the store to order them and pay for them and how expensive they are. I told the STL that I didn't care about the cost and that it wasn't my problem. I am now on that person's crap list. I stand by what I said. If I'm going to doing a task that requires a PDA, I expect a working PDA that is reliable and does not suck. That means I want a PDA that isn't going to be slow or freeze. That also means that the laser works and the trigger works too and no buttons are missing or broken in any way. And I have to be able to toggle between STO and SUBT with the ESC button. Yeah, I'm picky.

Every day I come in for a backroom closing shift I have to go beg for a PDA. No, salesfloor TM or flow TM, you do not need your PDA the way that I need it. You can do your job without it. I can't. I hate it because it turns me into the bad guy.

Cashiers definitely don't need PDAs. I can understand guest service and the GSTL but that's about it.

I don't think anyone mentioned cashiers, there's really no situations where a cashier needs a PDA if they're solely cashiering. Walkies on the other hand are occasionally necessary (GSA in CO and nobody at SD until later, or GSA needing to take back defects at the end of the night after GS leaves, cashier who also gets carts, etc.)

I spend the first 10-15 minutes of my shift walking the store and begging for equipment to use for scanning instocks. So do the other members of my team. I think it's outrageous that teams who depend upon a PDA or LPDA to do any part of their job have to do this. For my team that equates to 30-45 minutes of scanning time. That is a tremendous waste of payroll over the course of a week. I also don't understand how there are no walkies in the cabinet but no answers when someone calls for help or backup.

There's really never an equipment shortage at my store but when the 4am people are still there and there was a lot of people scheduled, there might not be a walkie when I come in the morning. So basically my thoughts come down to this:

"Okay, so I have to go push CAFs without being interrupted for front lane back-up, guest service back-up, fast service calls, break coverage in electronics, guest assistance with another TM, or helping with team lifts? SIGN ME UP. DON'T WORRY I'M NOT SAD THAT I DON'T HAVE A WALKIE."

I don't think anyone mentioned cashiers, there's really no situations where a cashier needs a PDA if they're solely cashiering. Walkies on the other hand are occasionally necessary (GSA in CO and nobody at SD until later, or GSA needing to take back defects at the end of the night after GS leaves, cashier who also gets carts, etc.)

This, too! We let one cashier, one service desk, and the GSTL have a walkie. The service desk needs a PDA because they have to check flexible fulfillment at our store. Sometimes the GSTL has one, but we don't really need it most days (coming from a ULV store experience.)

At my store the STL, LOD, and GSTL have their own LPDAs that aren't in general circulation. Service desk usually has the GSTL one. A backroom TM is supposed to carry an LPDA for FF alerts, but I think that practice has already died (they have been calling out hourly status checks lately).

Bosses should step up and just either hold people accountable when it comes to equipment or don't be cheap and get more equipment. I have no sympathy when an ETL complains to me about the price of a walkie or PDA. I don't care. You won't get an ounce of sympathy from me. I don't steal or break them. I just want one that works the way I need it work and I want one when I want one. Don't think that's asking for too much. However, this is Target and complaining about needing equipment is probably "playing the victim" on the Target ETL script. They will probably be like "well, you should have been faster on your way to the equipment room to get a PDA or walkie".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back