Archived Team Lead Position Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I'm going to try to make a long story short. I've been working at Target for almost 7 months now as a flexible fulfillment team member but have worked in other areas of the store when needed (flow, hardlines, guest experience). I regularly assist different team leads in their positions by jumping into different areas of the store when sfs is done for the day and helping them meet their workloads by overseeing other team members. Recently with all of the new changes that Target has been implementing two team lead positions became available, one for general merchandise and one for closing. I talked with a couple of my leaders and decided that I would go for the gm team lead. I applied and went through the first part of the interview and some basic training for the job but never heard anything back, just recently the position was filled by another tm. Now here's where it gets confusing for me. When I first inquired about the positions my TL-HR and former closing tl (she since tranfered to TL-GM) told me I could go for either position and she would train me to take her place as closing tl if that's the one I want. However, my TL-SFS, TL-GM, and ETL-LOG told me I wouldn't even be considered for a closing team lead position since it requires me to be an LOD, hence me deciding on the general merchandise position. So my question is would I be considered for closing team lead if I applied for it and is it a smart idea to apply again this soon after appling for the general merchandise team lead and not getting the position. Thanks for your advice.

Talk with your TL, ETL, and STL. If all of them don't support you promoting it's not going to happen. Ask them for feedback before applying. The Closing lead is basically the STL but at night. They are the eyes and ears of the store and have to have a great working relationship with the STL.

Seek advice from your leads then apply if necessary.

Seems like DTLs in some districts want existing key carriers for the closing lead role, while others were allowing GSAs to take it.

Our closer was a non LOD TL before the change up. Sounds like your ETL team already had some plans before the moves. Definitely ask for feedback and ways you can improve as a TM. Best of luck

You need to ask for feedback from the interviews. Need to work on said feedback to show you can improve and show your dedication to wanting promoted.
So I did ask for feedback from the interviews before I knew the GM-TL position was filled and after. My team lead keeps telling me she doesn't know what's going on and my ETL keeps saying she'll go over it with me but never does. I want the feedback so that I can improve what made them think I wasn't qualified for it yet but don't want to keep bugging them for it.

I think you are benched for more development.

For closing team lead... yes I agree I need more development. I've gotten mixed feelings though because my former closing lead seems to want me in this position. Even after I have expressed to her I am not famiIiar with all areas of the store she says that she will train me once I get the lead position. The GM position was more up my alley because I'm thoroughly experienced in backroom operations and they still didn't see me qualified enough yet for that so I'm not sure why her and my HR-TL think I have such a good shot at it.

Last edited:
So I did ask for feedback from the interviews before I knew the GM-TL position was filled and after. My team lead keeps telling me she doesn't know what's going on and my ETL keeps saying she'll go over it with me but never does. I want the feedback so that I can improve what made them think I wasn't qualified for it yet but don't want to keep bugging them for it.

For closing team lead... yes I agree I need more development. I've gotten mixed feelings though because my former closing lead seems to want me in this position. Even after I have expressed to her I am not famiIiar with all areas of the store she says that she will train me once I get the lead position. The GM position was more up my alley because I'm thoroughly experienced in backroom operations and they still didn't see me qualified enough yet for that so I'm not sure why her and my HR-TL think I have such a good shot at it.

Because your most likely experienced enough for the role but your ETL wants one of there favorites to have the job and thats why there not giving you feedback because they dont have any

I think they have you Leading GM because it is a good stepping stone into the Closing Lead position. There are many opportunities to learn in that position while setting you up for success in accordance with your future goals. You will be working with vendors, pogs, and building relationships with the team members that will be your closing team. Also, you may get rotating closing shifts based on your store. If you are a super target and not a key carrier then you may not be on this rotation. However, I think they made a good decision in placing you in GM. If you can rock leadership there, then you can run the whole store at night. As a closing lead myself, there is a lot to know. I need to know every process of every department. I can run all of Specialty, Front End, and GM, which is a great asset when team members run into problems or have a million questions. The TLGM position also allows you to gain a relationship your fellow leads and leaders so they can observe and provide feedback to be successful. Don't feel discouraged. This is a great stepping stone.

Because your most likely experienced enough for the role but your ETL wants one of there favorites to have the job and thats why there not giving you feedback because they dont have any

Unfortunately that seems to be what happened. Only one team leader who I have worked extremely closely with was pulling to get me the position but wasn't successful up against the ETLs.

I think they have you Leading GM because it is a good stepping stone into the Closing Lead position. There are many opportunities to learn in that position while setting you up for success in accordance with your future goals. You will be working with vendors, pogs, and building relationships with the team members that will be your closing team. Also, you may get rotating closing shifts based on your store. If you are a super target and not a key carrier then you may not be on this rotation. However, I think they made a good decision in placing you in GM. If you can rock leadership there, then you can run the whole store at night. As a closing lead myself, there is a lot to know. I need to know every process of every department. I can run all of Specialty, Front End, and GM, which is a great asset when team members run into problems or have a million questions. The TLGM position also allows you to gain a relationship your fellow leads and leaders so they can observe and provide feedback to be successful. Don't feel discouraged. This is a great stepping stone.

I think you might have misunderstood my original post but I didn't get the GMTL position. My primary job is flexible fulfillment making me "flexible" in different areas of the store when SFS is not busy. However I have been asking to be cross trained in different departments since I originally started working at Target. My HR-TL always tells me I can't and my SFS-TL won't let me. There was a point a few months ago when I worked with my former closing TL (now GMTL) and she cross trained me on a few different areas that I still wouldn't know but since then they haven't let me work with her to get further trained. It just so happens to be that the team leader who was training me in different areas was the one to suggest I go for GMTL initially and now closing TL. The big road block I keep hitting though is that I don't have much cross training and my direct leader isn't allowing it.

The closing TL position is still open at my store. When I applied for GMTL I was told that if I didn't get that position then my name would be placed in the "pipeline" for all other possible team lead candidates; therefore if another team lead position opened up I wouldn't have to apply again but would just be called on. Does anyone know if this information is correct? I'm not sure if the TL that told me that was misinformed or if they just aren't calling me because they think I'm not experienced enough yet. If the "pipeline" info isn't correct then I might talk to my SD and take a shot at closing TL.

I have a question what is the “pipeline” because i was just recently told i was put on it since they started developing me to become a lead. Sorry to go off your topic. I think for you though they probably didn’t think you were cross trained enough and dont have the hours to allocate for proper training for you in other departments. Because it took forever for my etl to get hr to give me the hours to learn how to do the trailer.

I have a question what is the “pipeline” because i was just recently told i was put on it since they started developing me to become a lead. Sorry to go off your topic. I think for you though they probably didn’t think you were cross trained enough and dont have the hours to allocate for proper training for you in other departments. Because it took forever for my etl to get hr to give me the hours to learn how to do the trailer.
You are on the bench..

Really it’s an outdated term. For all positions TL and up required a backfill so stores were supposed to have one person that has interviewed and been signed off for the position just waiting for an opening. They got rid of the idea for TLs and still do it every now and then for ETLs but every district has 1-2 ETLs or BPs signed off for SD that can be moved into role at any point. Being signed off as SD comes with a raise too even though you’re still an ETL. Being on the bench used to be a legit position but now it just means that like you and you’ll probably get the next spot unless something better comes along.

Last edited:
There's more pressure on you when you're benched then when you're actually TL. When you're benched you have to keep yourself as one of if not the highest performing TM in your store. When you're TL you don't necessarily have to be the best TL ever. It makes sense in a way but it definitely seems backwards 😂

As for being cross trained, in our store we are told that the role you were hired for is the role you are going to do. The store isn’t doing cross training because we are all suppose to be “experts” in our own department. Our HR used the analogy that we wouldn’t have a cashier help in electronics because that’s not her expertise. However all of our sales floor knows how to do OPUs for when SFS gets behind. We’ve had others transfer into that department (sfs), and usually if someone transfer out its to work the help with push and pulls. Maybe they don’t have the hours to train you in other areas and need you where you’re at. You should mention that you wish to become a lead so they can think about how to start trading you. I believe they have an idea who they like for the position prior to posting. If you had not told your ETL OR STL what you’re interested in it probably won’t be you. Be persist though and keep reminding them of what you want. Don’t get discourage and keep up doing you’re work. Check in with your leaders to make sure your still on track so they don’t forget about you. ALSO...... every store seems to run a little different with some process. What one store does doesn’t mean that’s how’ll it work in yours. Good luck I hope you get your promotion.

There's more pressure on you when you're benched then when you're actually TL. When you're benched you have to keep yourself as one of if not the highest performing TM in your store. When you're TL you don't necessarily have to be the best TL ever. It makes sense in a way but it definitely seems backwards 😂
You’re not even kidding. Last year they signed me off in April and I didn’t get a position until October. The entire time I was waiting I was expected to be a TL at minimum TM pay (to turn around and get minimum TL pay.)

You’re not even kidding. Last year they signed me off in April and I didn’t get a position until October. The entire time I was waiting I was expected to be a TL at minimum TM pay (to turn around and get minimum TL pay.)
I accepted the position 3 months before I actually got to train and promote but those 3 months they still expected TL level work from me with TM pay. It sucked

lol reading this thread is super relatable because I'm "on the bench" after being passed over for the last TL opening (which was in my department nonetheless) and I'm still referred to by my ETL as a "leader in the building" and held to a much higher standard despite the fact that I'm somehow not good enough to have gotten the position I interviewed for before >:/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back