Archived Team Lead Switching Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

So I've been a GSTL for quite awhile now and I am totally and completely burned out. I was the only GSTL for a year in a high volume store and now the new GSTL is someone they put in the position because they knew he couldn't handle it and could performance him out. He's only been up front for a couple of months and was told he is going on a final. So once again I will be alone until they move people around.
I also know another TL is on a final warning and being performanced out and I would love to work in that area. Should I approach HR now and express my interest in moving areas or wait until this TL is actually gone?
I've heard of stores moving TL's around but they don't really do that in my store. I just really need a change and can't switch jobs at the current time because of insurance issues.
Any thoughts?

I would say it is not unreasonable to ask to move. If you have been in role a long time it may be good for your development. You just have to spin it to sound like you don't hate GSTLing! The issue will be timing, because you will for sure have 1 new in role TL at the front end (to replace the guy) and then another to replace you. If they do them too close together the 18 months will align every time.

at my store they used to move us around a lot except for high stress roles like flow or BR unless you were a really good tl anyways. it doesnt hurt to ask and it doesnt hurt to let them know your interested. my etl's all know im willing to move around.. (just not gstl)

I talked with the ETL-HR today and let him know that I felt like I wasn't growing anymore and since i've only worked at the front end since starting I felt like there was a lot of things I didn't know how to do that a TL should know how. (which is true!) He agreed and said that he thought it would be good for me to be moved and asked me where I would be most interested in. I told him and he said that he wasn't sure that was a good fit for me and suggested another area. I'm not opposed to that so we will see what happens. He did tell me not to think this was going to happen NOW but he would bring it up in the ETL meeting on Monday and go from there. We meet again in 2 weeks to talk again. I'm pretty sure he knows I'm burned out and luckily we have a pretty good relationship so we shall see what happens!

Run far away from food side! Corporate doesn't understand food and I get the feeling that they don't quite know what the long term strategy is for food.

Unless you're still in a non PFresh or super. Consumables was way more manageable back then.

I'd still caution against going to food, but I hope everything works out for you!

Going to Food will only transfer the stress. Target does not understand food and the risks to guests are high. Target went into food similarly to how it went into Canada, blindly. Food safety violations could easily put your job at risk because you are the first line of defense at the management level. By far the best TL position is the HRTL. That position can translate to any company, even non-retail. The next would be Plano, price accuracy, Salesfloor, or maybe Softlines. I wouldn't want to be a GSTL or CTL (anything food). Don't think about Flow, not worth the stress.

Moving TLs around is not unheard of. It wouldn't hurt to ask for a change. I have worked in multiple departments in my 10 years with Target and every time I asked to be moved. Unfortunately, I had very minimal say in what department I wanted to be placed. But it all turned out good in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back