Archived team night out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so my TL wants to do a team night out. a way to get to know each other and not deal with work.
but, when discussing this, another TL said we couldnt do that. however my TL says that we can and its something CORP would prefer us do, and its well within brand to do so.

my TL made it clear there was to be NO drinking otherwise they cant be there.

but is it really a big deal? are TLs not allowed to do that?

Depends on your store/district. Some don't want Tls hanging out with the people they supervise. They also want to avoid any work talk. And regardless of how much fun you have work will come up. Its easy to get caught up in the conversation and say something about someone else in your store. Also if everyone in that TLs group don't come it can look like favoritism. Having said that we all went out every Thursday night after close. ETL,TL and 3 TMs.Usually to a Perkins and stayed until 4 in the morning. It was a great time. But we told no one just in case

Technically I think leadership isn't supposed to hangout with anyone outside the same level of leadership outside of work. IE, TM's should only hangout with TM's, TL's with TL's, ETL's with ETL's, etcetera. I've seen some people obey that, others not so much. Never seen anything bad happen from it but I would ask your HR leader.

I have not see anything bad happen either,personally for you as a tm I don't see any reason why you should ask HR anything,as it is your time off and none of their business what you do in this regard,as for tls and etls they are in a slightly different position but they should be able to look after themselves.

In theory, no drinking with leaders or on paid time. Be smart about it, and no one cares. No minors present, leaders don't provide the booze, nobody ends up in jail.

In theory, no drinking with leaders or on paid time. Be smart about it, and no one cares. No minors present, leaders don't provide the booze, nobody ends up in jail.

Yup our team leads hang out with team members all the time.

I don't think it's completely wise for ETLs or an STL to hang out with team members.

Technically I think leadership isn't supposed to hangout with anyone outside the same level of leadership outside of work. IE, TM's should only hangout with TM's, TL's with TL's, ETL's with ETL's, etcetera. I've seen some people obey that, others not so much. Never seen anything bad happen from it but I would ask your HR leader.

Yep and this is a problem with Target. You should be able to bond with your team..... it's absolutely ridiculous. This was one of the rules I strongly disliked as a Team Leader. However, you bet a** we had team building events and had FANTASTIC morale. Loved my team, and miss them.

if something happens you can always say "we all coincidentally were at the same place at the same time" ;)

I've gone shooting with a few co-workers at a local gun range recently, even turned one towards wanting a gun after he had previously disliked them. Of course these are all floor level TM's, don't need TL's knowing I'm right wing.

I used to work at a target in a small college town, it was inevitable that tl's would run into tm's off the clock at bars for karaoke/trivia night or any other event that took place in the 5 or so bars in town. We would end up hanging out and drinking together. We never really made plans with tm's, but if we saw them out and about we'd just shrug our shoulders and the party grew. Our stl/etl's knew about it and didn't mind.

It's funny - I was telling an ETL about this place and she told me they weren't allowed here.

Ain't that some silly shit!

Yep and this is a problem with Target. You should be able to bond with your team..... it's absolutely ridiculous. This was one of the rules I strongly disliked as a Team Leader. However, you bet a** we had team building events and had FANTASTIC morale. Loved my team, and miss them.

It seems Target does everything it can to avoid team building. The more I work there ( at my store at least ) the more it feels it's every man / woman for themselves.

That's a shitty atmosphere to have.

You would probably need to get the STL's blessing to make it kosher. And you would have to make the offer to the entire team

I used to hangout and cat sit for one of my GSTLs.

Then another store, it was strictly forbidden for TLs to hang out or socialize TMs especially the same area.

Yes Target and others frown upon going out and having a drink with co-workers but the fact of the matter is it's not something they can police. I used to go out all the time to bars with co-workers including TLs and nothing came of it. Unless the ETL is there at the same bar as you, and even then I'd protest it. What you do on your own time is none of Spot's business.

yes all of market, food ave and sbux is invited. no other TMs as we all have the same TL.
it is a team building type thing. and were going to use as much from Spot as we can so we can also say how good our product is.
its being held at a TMs house as we are doing a BBQ. the sbux AST, myself and my TL and all chipping in to help with the food bill. the hosting TM will do the grilling. and they are cool with it. they even offered their house up when we said we should do a night out.
i feel more positive about this now. thanks guys!

I've gotten shitfaced with one of my Sr.TLs on multilple occasions and went to another ETLs house for board game night. I don't think anyone cares as long as favorites aren't played.

It seems Target does everything it can to avoid team building. The more I work there ( at my store at least ) the more it feels it's every man / woman for themselves.

That's a shitty atmosphere to have.

I don't think that's totally true. I think the company just knows the precedent it can sit and issues it can cause. If you are out drunk and your etl HR sees you, next time you have an accident at work don't you think that could be the first thing in their mind? Better for you and her to simply not be in that position

That's how it is at my store, no fraternizing outside of your rank. Leadership TL and up actually had a meeting about it some half a year ago.

That said, there's plenty at our store that don't adhere to that and as far as I've heard there've been no issues. There're a couple leads that I hung out with regularly before they promoted, and that's not changed anything

tellmeaboutatime mentioned it could look like favoritism. From my end, my TL was a TM with my fellow coworkers years ago. Now that she's a TL, she still hangs out with these people, and I'm never invited. Now, I don't drink or smoke so I don't particularly care, but seeing snap chats of them out at 1am gets annoying, especially when she does play favorites at work and I'm not one of them. My store itself doesn't care who you hang out with but as a TM who sees a lot of games...it's pretty frustrating.

My store only does TL nights out.

As a Non-TL and having a family member who owns and runs the local Professional Sports Team, I am tempted to invite every single one of my colleagues to a "No Lead out"?!? any TLs or ETLs are barred from coming.

Oh and yes, Alcohol is free as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back