Archived Team Work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok im new to Target. I know they preach team work all the time. In orientation we watched videos on it. So a few days ago my TL pulled me to the side and said 2 team members were complaining I dont work as a team. I was perplexed because I felt that was completely wrong. So I asked the TL to give me some examples. He said when they are pulling the pallets they said you dont help. I said thats not true I stopped to put away a few pieces of furniture. He said well we take it all over then do it. I said ok no problem. So I said well one person who I knew said something to the TL feels bossy. Sorry for the long story. I just felt if these people or the whole team have a system keep me in the loop without barking orders at me unless you are the TL The person who said something to the TL does not like me. Another of my team members told me. Now I do not like that person either but i am too busy to pay attention to other people. It just seems sad that someone would complain hey my TM is working but not as a team.

What is your work center? We'd be able to help you more if we knew what type of position you're in.

That being said, yes. Your post is a bit confusing. Try asking your TL how you can improve and what exactly they think are the issues.

I'd really like to help you but your post is a little hard to follow, so I'm going to parse it out as best I can.
I get a couple of people complained that you weren't acting like a member of the team. (If one person does it a TL is going to take it with a grain of salt, more than one and they are going to going to have to act.)
And that the example the TL gave was about pulling pallets and you responded that it wasn't true because you had only stopped to put away some furniture. (Did you tell them that's what you were going to do and see if they were almost done? Was putting away the furniture more important than the pallets?)
Now from this I'm guessing you are flow or BR, correct? (Those are the two areas where being part of the team is really important and they will make your life miserable if you can't figure it out.)
So the TL responded that the process is to finish the task completely before you start something else (which makes sense by the way).
You said that you felt you should have been told that, without someone being bossy unless they are the TL. (It pays to listen to older workers, even if they come off as a bit bossy. They know what needs to be done and when, sometimes better than the TL.)
You also felt the person who complained about you to the TL doesn't like you, or that's what another TM told you. (Please don't listen to other TM on stuff like that it only cause trouble. Stores can be like high schools.)
And you don't like that person either. ( Did you tell the TL that because you significantly weakened your case by bringing any of this up. Talking about teamwork, then bringing up how you don't like members of your team does not make for a good sales pitch.)
Yeah, it's rough that they complained but take it as a learning experience. listen to what was said, take it to heart, and do your best to part of the team.

I'm thinking that only the one TM complained and the TL acted on it because he/she trusts them. And of course the TL would never admit to coaching based off a single complaint.

Eh that's happened to me before. A TL said some tms complained that I wasn't going up to back up cashier, it was one hour into my shift and my first day back from maternity leave. Take it ALL with a grain of salt. Instead of justifying the reasons you couldn't help or whatever, just cover yourself by doing everything you can. Communicate! It is key! "Hey let me put this away and I'll help with the pallets." Simple enough, sometimes people can't see out of their task and all they see is an empty spot that you could've filled. Just communicate as much as you can. Don't go into life disliking people, it's a waste of energy and solves nothing. Find positive things to focus on in people.

Eh that's happened to me before. A TL said some tms complained that I wasn't going up to back up cashier, it was one hour into my shift and my first day back from maternity leave. Take it ALL with a grain of salt. Instead of justifying the reasons you couldn't help or whatever, just cover yourself by doing everything you can. Communicate! It is key! "Hey let me put this away and I'll help with the pallets." Simple enough, sometimes people can't see out of their task and all they see is an empty spot that you could've filled. Just communicate as much as you can. Don't go into life disliking people, it's a waste of energy and solves nothing. Find positive things to focus on in people.

If I could like this post more than once, I would. Communication is a big issue for a lot of people, and it solves so many problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back