Your Target Work Experience

Hey everyone I need some help!! I applied to Target and I should be having my orientation next Friday from today! I have a dilemma that I am stuck in thought and need all the help I can get. My current job was very shocked and sad hearing that I put my notice in. I was pulled aside with them and talked to and told that they would do anything if it would persuade me to stay there. There are just a few things that are making me lean more towards going to Target than staying there.

Just a few things are:
More flexible hours
Variety of work areas
Benefits

I would love if everyone could just help me out and give me all the information you can about working at Target whether you currently work there or worked there in the past. I want to hear all the good and bad!! I also am supposed to be in fulfillment so I would love to hear about that! And GM!

Thanks!!!

First off you put in your notice so if you think about staying just because they turned around and try to keep you , don’t do it . You already thought about leaving so do that .

As for target , I don’t know what you mean by flexible hours that is not really the case you will be schedule based on business needs one day 8 am next day 2 pm and the next 5 am , you don’t get a set schedule unless you are in inbound which is all about the timing on when the store unloads their truck .

Fulfillment is not bad in my opinion is lots of running around but also is times so if you don’t meet those standards best believe they will be on your behind .

I find gm to be the easiest especially since at some store ( don’t know about yours ) inbound owns the process such as pushing of the truck .

I was with target for a long time and did many positions . Target use to be fun now not so much . You will find yourself burn out at the expectation .

Benefits are good but that’s only if you are full time employee. So you need to make sure you get the hours however again hours are hard to come by at certain stores so it would be good to cross train to get hours .

I left Target for work life balance and I couldn’t be more happier .

Don’t sacrifice your mental health and good luck .

First off you put in your notice so if you think about staying just because they turned around and try to keep you , don’t do it . You already thought about leaving so do that .

As for target , I don’t know what you mean by flexible hours that is not really the case you will be schedule based on business needs one day 8 am next day 2 pm and the next 5 am , you don’t get a set schedule unless you are in inbound which is all about the timing on when the store unloads their truck .

Fulfillment is not bad in my opinion is lots of running around but also is times so if you don’t meet those standards best believe they will be on your behind .

I find gm to be the easiest especially since at some store ( don’t know about yours ) inbound owns the process such as pushing of the truck .

I was with target for a long time and did many positions . Target use to be fun now not so much . You will find yourself burn out at the expectation .

Benefits are good but that’s only if you are full time employee. So you need to make sure you get the hours however again hours are hard to come by at certain stores so it would be good to cross train to get hours .

I left Target for work life balance and I couldn’t be more happier .

Don’t sacrifice your mental health and good luck .
Target has reduced the hours needed for benefits. I don’t know the exact number but I think it’s in the 20,s. You no longer need to be full time for benefits.

Target has reduced the hours needed for benefits. I don’t know the exact number but I think it’s in the 20,s. You no longer need to be full time for benefits.
It’s actually 25h . And I’m not sure if there’s an amount of hours to work before you reach the threshold to meet eligibility

But back in the day was 1000h

IMHO if you stay at your current job you are basically giving them time to look for you replacement then fire and/or lay you off.

You are at-will employee in most situations regardless of how long you have a been at any company and can get let go without notice.

So much depends on a store's leadership and culture. Mostly, it's pretty good at my store, but that's not true everywhere. The fulfillment TMs at my store keep very busy - they definitely get in their 10,000 steps! During 4th quarter, it can be pretty nuts, but that's true store-wide. Soak up all the hours you can then because they typically fall drastically in January. (Again, that varies; my store's seasonal hiring was more limited last year and they boosted hours for TMs who are hard workers and wanted more hours.)
The array of benefits offered is pretty wide and they're offered to TMs who average a little more than half-time hours. I don't know when a TM becomes eligible though.
As to flexibility on hours, I'd say not so much. You can choose your availability but you need to be available when they need you to work. We have more fulfillment TMs working earlier in the day than later.
Variety of work areas - yes, although that'll depend on where there are gaps that need filling. If you're cross-trained and a TM calls off, you might be pulled into working a different area. Maybe other stores have a lot of moving around within the store, but mine stays pretty stable for the most part.

I've had two jobs. Target is better than McDonald's that is all I know. It's been "not terrible" enough for me to be here for 18 years. I do have a pretty high tolerance for putting up with BS though

I've had two jobs. Target is better than McDonald's that is all I know. It's been "not terrible" enough for me to be here for 18 years. I do have a pretty high tolerance for putting up with BS though
Is it the BS really as bad as people make it seem or is a lot of people being alittle over dramatic lol? Because I work at a place that pretty much is the same way people are portraying target to be but then I go on YouTube and the job looks fairly decent and they love it. I know it depends on the store but I can deal with bs too until a certain extent though.

I’ve been with Target almost 13 years. I do not need the benefits. I average 30 hrs a week. I have found over the years and many leaders if you do your job to the best of your ability you will be good. I will say I love hearing about the drama but am never part of the drama. I left and came back and don’t regret it. No job is fun every freaking day. You will have the good, the bad and the ugly no matter where you work.

I’ve been with Target almost 13 years. I do not need the benefits. I average 30 hrs a week. I have found over the years and many leaders if you do your job to the best of your ability you will be good. I will say I love hearing about the drama but am never part of the drama. I left and came back and don’t regret it. No job is fun every freaking day. You will have the good, the bad and the ugly no matter where you work.
I think this is the most perfect reply!! I’m not expecting it to be perfect at Target what so ever. I don’t care about the benefits tbh, but if they are given to I will ofc take them. I am more worried about going having a somewhat laid back chill job and get the hours I want. I’m big on drama as long as I’m never apart of it so that will not be something I have to worry about.

I think this is the most perfect reply!! I’m not expecting it to be perfect at Target what so ever. I don’t care about the benefits tbh, but if they are given to I will ofc take them. I am more worried about going having a somewhat laid back chill job and get the hours I want. I’m big on drama as long as I’m never apart of it so that will not be something I have to worry about.
Target is not a laid back chill job. Mgmt will be up your ass every minute of your shift.
And they will not give you the hours you want unless you want nights and weekends.

Been at my store since initial setup(former Kmart loc) we handled trucks at reasonable rate w/o getting too far behind. Flash forward to now(4yrs later). We're considered full sized, can't keep up with freight. No help from anyone (no replacements for firings), ineffective leadership direction, cut hours, and new expectations? They're re arranging the deck chairs on the titanic... while band plays.

Target is not a laid back chill job. Mgmt will be up your ass every minute of your shift.
And they will not give you the hours you want unless you want nights and weekends.
How many hours do you normally make a week? Is it night or day hours?

Some people have trouble getting enough hours. Fulfillment doesn't have that problem at my store. The stress/BS comes from conflicting expectations (speed vs accuracy). Learn which is more important to your leadership and set your focus to follow that. It changes from one leader to the next. Also having to constantly clean up after guests, and pick up after your coworkers too. Once you can accept that it will never change, the stress will become less intense.

If I could change work centers, I would go to fulfillment in a heartbeat. I currently work front end and with the lack of cashiers, the closing of SCO at certain points during the day and the ridiculous expectation that someone is just standing at the front directing traffic (hello...that was so pandemic, why are we bringing it back), the demands of the DU position and the lack of people to support it makes it very stressful and not at all chill lately.

As fulfillment, you will NEVER be called to back up and basically are just doing your own thing. If your store has Ship though, it gets trickier but still what I would still consider fun. Also unless a FF TM is in school, they all get 35-40 hours a week.

Target:

- hours are dogshit, your availability can be 90 hours a week and you’ll be lucky to get ~20
- your leaders are extremely likely to be snotty, insufferable 20-somethings who were filtered for during the promotion process to be unthinking, unquestioning, inflexible turbo-shills for BryBry Cornell and his goons
- all Target stores are broiling hot hellholes because the AC is never running even in stores located in the southernmost latitudes, every bit as stuffy and sweltering as a restaurant kitchen
- $40 an hour’s worth of expectations for $15 an hour, when $15 is the new $7.25
- too much goddamn bloody RED assaulting your eyeballs, an unrelenting monochromatic crimson nightmare reminiscent of the sickly dull yellow of the Backrooms but somehow even more unsettling

fools sometimes ask me about TGT when they find out I used to work there, while the fact that I don’t work there any longer seems to be lost on them and I compiled this helpful list to help them find it 💯

Last edited:
If I could change work centers, I would go to fulfillment in a heartbeat. I currently work front end and with the lack of cashiers, the closing of SCO at certain points during the day and the ridiculous expectation that someone is just standing at the front directing traffic (hello...that was so pandemic, why are we bringing it back), the demands of the DU position and the lack of people to support it makes it very stressful and not at all chill lately.

As fulfillment, you will NEVER be called to back up and basically are just doing your own thing. If your store has Ship though, it gets trickier but still what I would still consider fun. Also unless a FF TM is in school, they all get 35-40 hours a week.
That’s where I’m looking to get into, fulfillment. I hope I’m making the right decision switching jobs. I’m extremely stressed out about it 😭

I put in over half a decade and dealt with mediocrity every day. Fine at the start, we were a new store. We had a good time with decent people. I voluntarily put in my 2 wks, told no one, last day slapped my badge on the TSC desk and walked out. We had a fucking totally useless 50 yr old new TL who was out to get the guys. She was a pig, trash, and got the boot a few months after I left.

Back