Archived Terminated for non-meal compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a senior who was fired for climbing into the compactor. It's a big no-no when it comes to safety.

In my time I have had 3 SFT's go into the compactor, and I have as well. With the power box off and locked.

There is not much of an option when some clown puts a display into the compactor and it gets jammed. Things like crib displays, furniture, old POG fixtures. Now that many things are sent back for recycling, this happens much less.

I had a senior who was fired for climbing into the compactor. It's a big no-no when it comes to safety.

In my time I have had 3 SFT's go into the compactor, and I have as well. With the power box off and locked.

There is not much of an option when some clown puts a display into the compactor and it gets jammed. Things like crib displays, furniture, old POG fixtures. Now that many things are sent back for recycling, this happens much less.

"Off and locked" being the key difference between your SFTs and my Senior. Looking back, kinda wish some of the ETLs in my building made the same mistake.

So how exactly are violations reported to the state/city/whatever? Is Target audited randomly or do timesheets get sent to whoever audits them every week?

So how exactly are violations reported to the state/city/whatever? Is Target audited randomly or do timesheets get sent to whoever audits them every week?

Not every state or municipality has the same labor laws. I think the company just takes the more strict rules and tries to apply them to most stores. Your ETL HR may try to get you to believe that it is the law that you take your lunch before 6 hours, but in most cases that is not true.

Your ETL HR may try to get you to believe that it is the law that you take your lunch before 6 hours, but in most cases that is not true.
A lot can factor into this - so don't assume it is only the law.

I worked at Best Buy in CA, which is strict in the labor law department.

Regardless, we had a lunch BY 5 hours in a shift - it wasn't the CA law, it was however part of an agreement that CA and Best Buy worked out in regards to violations. If we continued to violate THAT, then there was going to be fines and such. We hired a sales manager from Staples and it was very hard for him to adjust to the 5 hour lunch - he always had compliance issues on his shifts. He could not wrap his head around the fact that there could be alternate rules in place.

So there can always be things behind the scenes, and really, just do what you are told, even if you think it doesn't jive with the law.

I had two compliance issues in two weeks...mis-communication and probably my own fault. I have always been salaried (not that I'm using that as an excuse) but have always just done as much as possible to get the job done at hand...didn't even realize I was on compliance until I was called in. When I was called in a second time for the same thing (different LOD who wasn't aware I was already coached)...I clarified it and afterwards watched my time like a hawk. Lesson learned, though..If you have a watch that has an alarm, set it if you have to--do whatever you need to, because I do understand the importance of it, and even though "stuff happens" it is essentially our responsibility...:) Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back