Archived termination right or wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question and just would like opinions. A team member turned in a drs not stating they will n out for a weak. They gave it to hr does the team member still need to call off for every shift, the team member was told dr notes are not accepted an they were not aware that they needed to call off for every shift. The team member was on a final for 2 no call no shows already is this grounds for termination. there is no where in the team member handbook that states anything about excused or unexcused absences it only states u need to call of 2 hours prior to a shift. The confusing part is the dr note did not make target aware the team member will be out for a week. Would just like a lil advice to see if this is policy or something more.

Just wanted to let people know that many team members in the store do not know that with a drs note u still need to call off.

Last edited:
I would hope the doctors note was better written than this post.
If you want opinions, please make the information you are giving easy to understand.
From what I can tell a TM turned in a note saying they would be out for a week.
You want to know if they still have to call every shift, with the added information that the TM was on a final for two NCNS.
But after saying that the doctors note said he would be out for a week you say it didn't make them aware of that fact, so which is it?

If the note says the person has to be be out for a week, than HR will take them off the schedule and that will be that.
The TM will not have to call in.
If it say he should be off but doesn't have to be than he's screwed and has to work.

Last edited:
When something like this comes up, they will tell you if you have to work still or not. At that point, the options are calling in or getting your shift covered. Having 2 previous ncns isn't favorable to the situation either. This isn't school where you turn in a dr's note for having a cold and get a week off. It's a job that other people are willing to do if that TM isn't. There is no reason for ncns, especially with target.com/viewschedule available.

LOL, I had a swollen throat one day. Couldnt talk and could barely breath, still came to work.

First, if you are asking for another TM...why? They should being the question asking.

To the matter, if a TM is having to have a required medical procedure or is contagious and will miss work. The TM needs to report the situation to HR and put in for leave or LOA for that time period with doctors note.

If the schedule has already been made, report the situation to HR and any ETL ASAP to arrange to have the shifts picked up. If they show the effort to inform the store they can't make it for a period of shifts do to illness or injury, then less likely the store will punish a TM.

But being on final, they need to follow procedures correctly.

I was hospitalized and needed to call in for that time. Last time I was out for two weeks. I knew when I called that I wouldn't be able to give an exact date, but that I could give them a few days that I wouldn't be in. So when I went into the hospital on a Wednesday, I made it clear that I would not be available through Saturday, and was calling off for those days and I would call back on Saturday with more information/another call off. But I also had no attendance issues.

You don't have to call off every single day, but you need to be incredibly clear that you are calling off for multiple days, and ask them if they need you to call in again or if you can just call in on such and such a day to update the status.

I had a similar situation at a company that I used to work for (oh, actually twice but the second was my own doing)

First time: I went on bereavement leave when my grandma died. I hadn't been home in a few years so I wanted to take a couple of extra days. I told my boss that I wanted to stay and would use sick/vacation time. He used his tenuous grasp of company policies to try to tell me that if I don't come back to work tomorrow he was going to fire me. A couple of texts later (one to the other person who did my job asking him to read and explain the policy to the boss and then another to my district manager who happened to be my former boss telling him what's going on) and everything was solved. Basically said I was not going to scramble for last minute plane tickets.

Second time I went on personal LOA (for health reasons, but not covered under medical LOA). Got an email from my 401k saying I no longer worked there. I quickly logged into my work email before they cut my account off and saw that my LOA was cancelled. I forwarded every single piece of documentation to my personal account and grabbed screen caps from all of the systems that said whether I was an employee or not. (I had VPN access since I occasionally had to use a laptop for off-site work) Filed for unemployment. Got approved for it until company decided to challenge it saying I never returned from the LOA at the original end date. Luckily I had all of that documentation because I stuck with the story that I was terminated during the LOA for reasons unknown to me. I won the challenge.

I had a TM who called out to HR before I arrived that evening (O/N Log). After that the TM didn't call or show up for 6 consecutive shifts. Because we get a lot of TMs who just quit, I automatically assumed the TM quit. Target policy is that 3 consecutive NCNSs are considered job abandonment. The TM came back with a doctor's note - boom instantly vindicated. I was not able to apply a single NCNS or Call out to this TM. Not once did this TM mention they weren't going to be in for multiple days.

This is a case-by-case issue. Some HRBPs will authorize a termination, others won't. My HRBP did not support any actions towards this TM. Actually I was made to feel that I should have called this TM to see how they are doing. First, I'm not calling every single TM who doesn't show up to work. Second, I work overnight and have very little success contacting any of my TMs. I'm not calling you on my time off or during the day when I'm with family or asleep.

My suggestion for anyone in this case - let multiple leaders know of your absence, especially your assigned ETL and the ETL-HR.

Most states are at-will employment, and there is no wrongful termination unless it is a case of discrimination. You can't be fired for age/sex/religion/race, etc. etc. but most other reasons you can.

Of course Target typically follows a procedure to Term someone, and only in cases of Gross Misconduct will they outright fire somebody usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back