Archived Thanks for the the experience, Spot. It's definitely been...something

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i'm zoning at 10:20 PM, I have ten minutes to go until I can go home. My GSTL calls me into her office with the ETL sitting at the desk, I know what's coming and with all the paperwork on the desk.

So the ETL explains that seasonal is ending and that I'm being let go. She has me sign some paper work and hands me an envelope with the money I earned during my last week or so. I ask her if I did anything wrong or if it was just because they couldn't afford to keep too many seasonal.

My GSTL answers that it's because my attendance was "Extremely poor" ...late twice for honest mistakes, both times I sincerely apologized and felt terrible afterwards. I also called in sick on a random Wednesday because I was in up all night doing...sick things. My ETL said I should've came in sick and waited to get sent home, lol...

That confused me because at orientation I was told by HR that if I'm sick to stay home to avoid getting team members or guests sick.

Anyways, I'm not trying to excuse any of this, listing it all, yeah, it looks bad. But am I wrong for wanting at least to be notified a week before getting laid off? I understand...I'm still on my 90 days I'm "at will" but I thought it was the least they could do. I just expected more professionalism from a place like Target. (I know, with my attendance, I don't have any right...but I can't help but feel that way.) I guess I'm just bummed it was so sudden and so "here's your money, here's the door. enjoy your life."

Idk, I honestly hated working at Target; no offense to anyone that does, retail just isn't for everyone. I'm a shy, quiet, gamer with poor social skills. I belong somewhere where there isn't so many people, it's overwhelming for someone like me.

I'm not asking for any sympathy, my boyfriend is supportive and luckily I have a decent amount of cash saved, so I'm not too worried at the moment.
I guess I just wanted to vent a little and leave this here to remind any future seasonals who actually wants to stay at Spot full time, do NOT let yourself be late for any shift during your 90 days and do NOT call in sick no matter what. Yes, this is a given for most people, but use my experience as an example for those who think it'll be okay to "call in just once" unless every manager, LOD, ETL, and whatever other Target lingo there is for higher-ups is absolutely in love with you or favors you, it's going to bite you in the ass.

It was a bittersweet few months, I learned a lot about myself, but Target during the holidays is like an avalanche of stress and anxiety. Hats off to those who have done this for a long time.

Best of luck to everyone ~ thank you for getting me through my time at Spot.

Best of luck. Just stay positive and look for another job if you feel so inclined. If you ever come back to Spot we will see you again.

As advice for those that are sick, I would say to come in and if the ETLs think you are too sick they will send you home and give away your next shifts to someone if it needs to happen. Saw it happen with a Starbucks TM this week.

For someone who didn't like working there you sure sound bummed. Late twice and called in once in less than 90 days and you can't help but expect them to focus on that. Part of the reason Target employees keep getting treated the way they do is because they don't take the job seriously.

I've been consistently employed in various jobs for 10+ years and I may have been late once or twice. That includes the day my car was t-boned on the way to work that morning and I drove (limped) it to the nearest body shop and walked to work after that.

Even crappy jobs require some measure of responsibility if you plan to stick around.

For someone who didn't like working there you sure sound bummed. Late twice and called in once in less than 90 days and you can't help but expect them to focus on that. Part of the reason Target employees keep getting treated the way they do is because they don't take the job seriously.

I've been consistently employed in various jobs for 10+ years and I may have been late once or twice. That includes the day my car was t-boned on the way to work that morning and I drove (limped) it to the nearest body shop and walked to work after that.

Even crappy jobs require some measure of responsibility if you plan to stick around.

Nah, I'm not bummed. The day after being let go I felt the best I've felt in months. During my three month employment I was constantly stressed out and very irate. Even on good days, upon walking into work my whole mood would be effected. It was hard work just to force a smile on my face for guests. I appreciate my time at Target, it gave me some extra money during the holidays, some experience, and further proof that I need to stay away from retail.

I do agree with everything you said though. Even though I was very unhappy with the job, there was no excuse for the tardiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back