The Breakroom Memes

Hungry

47398081_894593594082879_8213085008873652224_n.jpg

All of our buildings did fine.
After the 9.2 quake in 1964 (which I remember as being really cool but I was a little kid so what do I know) we made all the codes really tough.
That section of road is right on top of the epicenter, it didn't stand a chance.
We have a lot of cracking in the pavement and lost a couple of onramps but I have to give the road construction people major props, they were out fixing them within hours.
I lived in a 11 floor building when mine happened. Obviously i ran down the stairs to the open space park. We all slept outside that day. My dad suffered ptsd from it he had to take sleeping pills after that. He was paralyzed mouth down when it happened so it was tough for my brothers to carry him down as all that was happening.

I lived in a 11 floor building when mine happened. Obviously i ran down the stairs to the open space park. We all slept outside that day. My dad suffered ptsd from it he had to take sleeping pills after that. He was paralyzed mouth down when it happened so it was tough for my brothers to carry him down as all that was happening.

Wow, so sorry to hear that.
My dad had to go through damaged buildings to make sure there wasn't anyone hurt or dead inside.
I'm pretty sure both my parents had PTSD from it since for years after that even when we had a minor tremor they would hustle us to a door frame.
That's where I went for this one even though nowadays they say you are supposed to go under your desk, just because that was what I did when I was a kid.
I had a client with me who had never been through a quake and was scared to death, so I was focused on keeping them calm and didn't really think about myself.

One of my internet friends was in the Christchurch NZ earthquake (he lost a family member). That shit is so freaky, especially the soil liquefaction...cars sinking into the ground like it’s quicksand, down to the tops of their wheel wells. As bad as that quake was it could’ve been a hell of a lot worse, like causing a massive tsunami. Nope nope nope

I remember my dad reading & showing me pics from the '64 quake but dayum - those roads, commie.
Bet you were truly shook.

Was in CA during a 5.8 & folks there didn't bat an eye.

I remember the condiments coming out of the cabinet and breaking all over the newly washed dishes.
As we ran out the door I was thinking how mad my mom would be.

This was Government Hill Elementary the school I would have been going to the next year for kindergarten.

Earthquake-1-1.jpg

About 1500 people died that day.

Attachments

• D511554F-EDB4-4E98-844E-3EF983F354BF.jpeg
    D511554F-EDB4-4E98-844E-3EF983F354BF.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 15
My uncle was in the 94 quake. He was in his office doing work on his computer when the door frame started flexing like a tesseract. Yikes.

My uncle was in the 94 quake. He was in his office doing work on his computer when the door frame started flexing like a tesseract. Yikes.

For me it was like being inside a tool box dropped off the back of a truck rolling at 65mph on the freeway. It was that loud and shook that hard. It was pitch black in my bedroom that day, I would swear on my life I could see the walls coming apart and slapping back together.

commiecorvus My kitchen had I think three coffee cups left. Stuff ended up in the oven that was in the fridge and there was a mystery stain on the floor that was basically every spice I owned mixed with honey and jack Daniel's, that smell will never leave me.

Last edited:
For me it was like being inside a tool box dropped off the back of a truck rolling at 65mph on the freeway. It was that loud and shook that hard. It was pitch black in my bedroom that day, I would swear on my life I could see the walls coming apart and slapping back together.

commiecorvus My kitchen had I think three coffee cups left. Stuff ended up in the oven that was in the fridge and there was a mystery stain on the floor that was basically every spice I owned mixed with honey and jack Daniel's, that smell will never leave me.

Fuckin yikes. I remember talking to my uncle on the phone after the fact (he called to assure us that he was alive and uninjured) and me being a little kid had been freaking out and bawling as soon as I saw it on the news. His office complex was completely BTFO and his boss gave everybody in the company several months off with pay. He flew out to visit us while they were rebuilding and brought his dead laptop to show off. It flew across the room during the quake and was basically smashed to bits. I remember the floppy drive popped out and he had it held in with tape. Lol.

Fuckin yikes. I remember talking to my uncle on the phone after the fact (he called to assure us that he was alive and uninjured) and me being a little kid had been freaking out and bawling as soon as I saw it on the news. His office complex was completely BTFO and his boss gave everybody in the company several months off with pay. He flew out to visit us while they were rebuilding and brought his dead laptop to show off. It flew across the room during the quake and was basically smashed to bits. I remember the floppy drive popped out and he had it held in with tape. Lol.

I had a TV, a dresser mirror and a drawer from that dresser land on me and I didn't know any of that happened until it stopped shaking and I tried to get up and couldn't. I never felt it, it took a moment to figure out why I couldn't get up. I had rolled off the bed on the floor into a turtle cause this was a big one a real big one. I was in Northridge for it a block from CSUN.. My building felt like it got hit by a train, no ramp up nothing just bam all hell breaking loose.. It stayed up but the apartments across the street were not as lucky, it shifted and crushed their garages, which sucked cause they lost their cars, but was good since no one was killed in the collapse.

Ex-BIL kept blowing fuses in his van so Genius decides to hot-wire it direct 'til he could pick up some fuses (except he forgot).
No surprise later when the dash sparked then burst into flames before burning the entire interior.

Back