Archived The End of an Era

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've worked with some racist people in AP before. It was pretty obvious at times. I've also been accused of profiling people based on their race. Truth is I profile people's actions. If you look sketchy I'm probably going to watch you.

I think the "community policing" in a job like this is wise. Yes you are there to bust bad guys but if you are some gruff who says I don't care about the team, you are playing into the assumption that you are a power hungry door greeter. That's all I am saying.

It's not that I don't care about team members in general, it's that I don't think there should be a burden of proof imposed upon me to prove that I'm not racist when I haven't acted in a way that indicates that I am in the first place. A falsely preconceived notion that one is racist by virtue of performing their rightful job duties does not need to be debunked.

It's not that I don't care about team members in general, it's that I don't think there should be a burden of proof imposed upon me to prove that I'm not racist when I haven't acted in a way that indicates that I am in the first place. A falsely preconceived notion that one is racist by virtue of performing their rightful job duties does not need to be debunked.

That's dangerous though to say you are performing your "rightful job duties" as an excuse for racist behavior.

I am against throwing the race card around without merit but just thought it was interesting. Fwiw there is little victimization here, everyone in my store is white or asian. Some folks are rubbed the wrong way though by the racism.

I have been accused of being "a racist mother-f*ing piglet" for simply (and genuinely) asking some little old black lady if she needed assistance finding something.
There are certainly bad apples out there, but I feel that the race card is thrown very early and often times to cover up/divert attention from their otherwise nefarious activities.

Hell, just the other day all our ETL-APs were informed that they must be in plainclothes to ensure a total AP focus on their non-LOD days. I haven't seen a high-level directive anything like that since the old days.

Must be a group level decision? Ours were definitely not told to be plain clothes.

STLs are told to let AP do their jobs and APBPs will partner with the DTLs to make sure that's happening. You also have to realize that shortage numbers affect other leader's reviews as well...

AP owns theft shortage, other leaders own operational shortage. It's been sent out in every single region level visit recap I've seen. I think there is a clear and consistent message that is being communicated and if there are one or two STLs that won't get with the program, I guarantee you they will be gone soon.

High theft markets are keeping extra investigators and each market also gets an investigator. Add that to one APBP per district and I think we are fine in terms of organized crime investigation. Keep in mind the number of APBPs is literally doubling. They get to spend more time in stores helping catch boosters (as my APBP put it) if needed and are generally more available to assist with cases.

My district the STL has final say as to what AP does. APBP wants the Etl to work 1 LOD shift a week? Lol they're getting 3 minimum.

APBP # is doubling but at the cost of the Investigator position. Investigators either have to interview for APBP, return to stores as an ETL or accept a severance.

Question for you AP folks. We have an issue at my store of people accusing our ETL AP being racist.

I know that being in AP you see patterns and what not and you would be ignorant to ignore when something doesn't seem right but I have also seen soccer mom's in coach purses literally walk out of our store with unpaid merchandise.

Do you guys ever deal with those accusations and how do you go about it?

Anytime someone follows a person of a different race they're immediately deemed racist. It really depends on where you live. 90% of my merchandise theft is white people but 90% of credit/check fraud are africans.

So a little background before my mini rant...

I've always worn the silver TPS name tag since I got this job. As simple as it is, I think it looks a thousand times more professional in the uniform. The TPS uniforms are already iffy, and the normal white name tags just make it look even more unprofessional and make us look a lot less official, in my personal opinion. A while back I had a booster find me on social media after getting my name off my old name tag. That freaked me out, and I had a few silver name tags that say "SECURITY" ordered. Never been a problem. Until now.

For some reason, I'm now being "ordered" by my STL to wear a regular white name tag, with my first name and last initial on it. On top of that, I now "have to" wear one of those "Ask me How to Save 5%" signs that attach to the name tags... Now don't get me wrong, the white name tag alone isn't a big deal. I'm an adult and I can get over that. But to force me to put my name and last initial on it after being threatened outside of work before, and add insult to injury by making this uniform look even more ridiculous with the 5% sign!? What the fuck, Target!?

I've always worn the silver TPS name tag since I got this job. As simple as it is, I think it looks a thousand times more professional in the uniform. The TPS uniforms are already iffy, and the normal white name tags just make it look even more unprofessional and make us look a lot less official, in my personal opinion. A while back I had a booster find me on social media after getting my name off my old name tag. That freaked me out, and I had a few silver name tags that say "SECURITY" ordered. Never been a problem. Until now.

For some reason, I'm now being "ordered" by my STL to wear a regular white name tag, with my first name and last initial on it. On top of that, I now "have to" wear one of those "Ask me How to Save 5%" signs that attach to the name tags... Now don't get me wrong, the white name tag alone isn't a big deal. I'm an adult and I can get over that. But to force me to put my name and last initial on it after being threatened outside of work before, and add insult to injury by making this uniform look even more ridiculous with the 5% sign!? What the fuck, Target!?

I think it's bs your STL is making you put your last initial on the name tag. What for?

Maybe a good hrtm can help you out. Our TPS has to wear a name tag but I just shortened her name from Alisa to Ali.

The 5 percent thing is demoralizing but harmless. Glad I am not in a store that does that but who knows I may soon be

Jesus lord, i've never heard that much pain go through our TPS'es at my store. Only thing i think they would want is more hours for AP. But i'm not in there work center so I'm not to sure. I would of left, as soon as someone found me if i were in your situation. But, are stores commonly needing a last initial on there? I would be able to find anyone, jesus lord. Unless you don't use social media that's quite sad. If someone tried hard enough they defiantly could find you. There's also those websites like Spokeo out there where they display peoples address.

I don't like the white name tag on AP, unless your ETL-AP or APTL in red. Makes you look unprofessional, agreed.

You don't even have to try that hard. I guarantee you that with a first name and general location I can figure out your full name, your address, the names of relatives/girlfriends, as well as their addresses, and much more. Give me a last initial and I'll get it done in half the time. This is why I didn't wear a name tag as a TPS, but I was fortunate enough to have a store where nobody cared.
This is also why I have no social media and have removed my personal information form all the websites (I.e. Spokeo) that could show it. I really don't need some whacko tracking me down because he got a felony charge thrown at him for boosting baby formula.

You don't even have to try that hard. I guarantee you that with a first name and general location I can figure out your full name, your address, the names of relatives/girlfriends, as well as their addresses, and much more. Give me a last initial and I'll get it done in half the time. This is why I didn't wear a name tag as a TPS, but I was fortunate enough to have a store where nobody cared.
This is also why I have no social media and have removed my personal information form all the websites (I.e. Spokeo) that could show it. I really don't need some whacko tracking me down because he got a felony charge thrown at him for boosting baby formula.
I have removed my name every where I can, have my Facebook on friends only so it's really hard to find me online. There is a new website that's scary how accurate and detailed it is, 100% Free Genealogy - FamilyTreeNow.com
It's also a pain in the ass to remove your information from it.

Last edited:

Have your AP leader fill out a safe action plan for yourself. The fact you've already been tracked down once is enough reason for it. Part of the plan can include you not wearing a name tag. Your STL can't override a safe action plan.

But you may still have to wear that 5% tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back