Archived The Fast, Fun, and Friendly Target of the 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember the Fast, Fun, and Friendly Target of the 1990's..?
When stores had a summer picnic, or a "jeans day", dress up in a costume on Halloween...
Maybe even have the STL, milk a goat to help raise money for a charity...?

Are those days gone forever..?

FFF still exists in my store, except it's now TMs buying their individual teams candy/drinks. There's also the FFF in the month before the BTS, but I don't really count that... as that is really just bribing.

Last edited:
Guess my store is an oddball because we currently have some of the sort of stuff described by the OP going on. At the moment we're doing penny wars with TL+ jars (all the money goes to the United Way) with the "winning" TL getting pied in the face. Also if our store has 100% participation on United Way pledge forms (even if not donating anything) our TLs will be washing all the TMs cars next month. After our May GEI contest goal was met we're getting a sloppy joe day, and if we meet the June and July goals we'll be having a meal for the TMs catered by the TLs wearing waiter uniforms. We also had a spring BBQ as a reward for something a couple months back.

Wow I wished our store did that..However, we do get the occasional treats like left over lunches from when district visits, day old pastries in the break room, pb and j once in awhile and stuff like that...

We get the occasional hamburger and hot dog day, complete with stale buns and tiny jars of condiments that are empty within an hour or so. Oh, let me not forget the bowls of expired/near expired candies, cereal bars, and crackers in the break room. Those are always such a treat. :confused:

Guess my store is an oddball because we currently have some of the sort of stuff described by the OP going on. At the moment we're doing penny wars with TL+ jars (all the money goes to the United Way) with the "winning" TL getting pied in the face. Also if our store has 100% participation on United Way pledge forms (even if not donating anything) our TLs will be washing all the TMs cars next month. After our May GEI contest goal was met we're getting a sloppy joe day, and if we meet the June and July goals we'll be having a meal for the TMs catered by the TLs wearing waiter uniforms. We also had a spring BBQ as a reward for something a couple months back.

Yeah we got a BBQ too well I should say the ETLs did, they pigged out first and left nothing for anyone else. Overnight got a share but the process teams and mids - NOTHING but empty trays.

I would love the car wash idea, I have the perfect truck for them to wash. Its been years, its a beater and it lives outside. And lifted.

If only some of todays district & corporate personal could've worked at Target in the 1990's... We had a company picnic, up in until 2003... Many were held at a local park... Target would provide the food & prizes... All you had to do was
come and enjoy yourself (we'd have a great time)... Many times, each team member that came to the picnic would leave with some kind of prize...
Do any stores still hold a company picnic..?

And let's talk "Jeans Day"... Team Members would pay a dollar (which would go to UnitedWay) and could wear there jeans & a red shirt all day...
Do any stores still do a "Jeans Day"..?

A creative endcap (most of the time, it would be soda) a team member would create a unique eye catching endcap ... Sometimes the best looking display (and biggest sales of that product) would win a prize from the district...
Is this something we still do at our stores..?

Dressing up in a costume, at Halloween... We did that for at least the first five years we were open...

And when the Christmas trees came in for the season, and the store was closed for the night (at 6pm on Sundays) many teams members would donate there time to decorate all the trees (and the store would provide pizza for everyone)...
Plus many other events. . .

Ok fellow team members, I sure your thinking I made all this up... But, no... I took photos & videos at many of these events, they all really happened...

Do you think we could ever have fun like that, in Today's Target..?

How degrading for the TLs. No way am I letting anyone, let alone a TM throw a pie at my face. And washing another TM's car? No way. Why don't the ETLs suffer?

How degrading for the TLs. No way am I letting anyone, let alone a TM throw a pie at my face. And washing another TM's car? No way. Why don't the ETLs suffer?

My store this is all ETL's not TL's.

My store is doing the pie thing too, the other event they got going is the winning TL gets hit with water balloons lol I'm sure all my TLs will participate because they're all outgoing and fun...not to mention very very attractive women ^_^

If only some of todays district & corporate personal could've worked at Target in the 1990's...

As much as you don't want to believe it, they did... Tina started as a TM in the 80s and so did Gregg.

And therein lies the problem, they still think all the employees have that kind of life.
They're so far removed from the real world that they assume everything is like it was when they worked in the trenches.
What the company really needs is for them to spend a couple of months on the floor as TMs and try to pay their bills on what you make.
Then we might see a return to some of the principles of the 90s.

It's the whole bunch. TLs, SrTLs, ETLs, and the STL.

I remember the 90s too. Jeans day was great. People actually showed up to work because it wasn't the soul sucking place it is now. We were friends with the people we worked with and actually cared about them. We were able to post wedding and shower invites. We did the Halloween costumes and handed candy out to kids at the lanes. Decorating the Christmas Trees was something we really looked forward to. We had baseball games against neighboring stores. The executives gave and got respect in return. When someone asked where you worked you were actually proud to say "Target"
Those days are long gone

Yeah, really. If they had volunteer events for TMs that were done during store hours in the parking lot for a day, instead of at some random charity/LGBT walk/whatever that I always seem to be working during or just before/after, I'd be happy to wash some cars.

I remember the 90s too. Jeans day was great. People actually showed up to work because it wasn't the soul sucking place it is now. We were friends with the people we worked with and actually cared about them. We were able to post wedding and shower invites. We did the Halloween costumes and handed candy out to kids at the lanes. Decorating the Christmas Trees was something we really looked forward to. We had baseball games against neighboring stores. The executives gave and got respect in return. When someone asked where you worked you were actually proud to say "Target"
Those days are long gone

I'm not saying I doubt you, but this sounds like something out of a dream.

I have a lot of respect for people who make a living with Spot, but my weekend work at Target has really only encouraged me to try harder in college so I can get a job in my major. If things were more like how they were, I think I wouldn't mind making a career out of Spot.

If only some of todays district & corporate personal could've worked at Target in the 1990's... We had a company picnic, up in until 2003... Many were held at a local park... Target would provide the food & prizes... All you had to do was
come and enjoy yourself (we'd have a great time)... Many times, each team member that came to the picnic would leave with some kind of prize...
Do any stores still hold a company picnic..?

And let's talk "Jeans Day"... Team Members would pay a dollar (which would go to UnitedWay) and could wear there jeans & a red shirt all day...
Do any stores still do a "Jeans Day"..?

A creative endcap (most of the time, it would be soda) a team member would create a unique eye catching endcap ... Sometimes the best looking display (and biggest sales of that product) would win a prize from the district...
Is this something we still do at our stores..?

Dressing up in a costume, at Halloween... We did that for at least the first five years we were open...

And when the Christmas trees came in for the season, and the store was closed for the night (at 6pm on Sundays) many teams members would donate there time to decorate all the trees (and the store would provide pizza for everyone)...
Plus many other events. . .

Ok fellow team members, I sure your thinking I made all this up... But, no... I took photos & videos at many of these events, they all really happened...

Do you think we could ever have fun like that, in Today's Target..?
I love working for Target and my store, but all these ideas just seem like they would make it even more fun to work at a company like this. I like the endcap idea and decorating the trees, too. I've only been with Target 3 years so I never experienced the Target of the 90's, but it seems like it was awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back