The February 2022 Thread

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) has no provisions regarding the scheduling of employees, with the exception of certain child labor provisions. “an employer may change an employee’s work hours without giving prior notice or obtaining the employee’s consent (unless otherwise subject to a prior agreement between the employer and employee or the employee’s representative).”

That’s a fine line to walk as a SD.. expect a new SD in the near future if that’s the case
Dont give me hope 😭 this SD is absolutely insane she does NOT care what people thinkg because SHE is making the store the way she wants 🙄 sanity save us we cannot stand her.
call the cops :)
Dont think I havent thought on it. We were left for 45mins wairing to be let out one night. Started looking up local laws on thst one and looking into new employment I was so furious.

Dont give me hope 😭 this SD is absolutely insane she does NOT care what people thinkg because SHE is making the store the way she wants 🙄 sanity save us we cannot stand her.

Dont think I havent thought on it. We were left for 45mins wairing to be let out one night. Started looking up local laws on thst one and looking into new employment I was so furious.
I would hope nobody would actually call the cops over something like this. Because this definitely isn’t an emergency that they would need to be bothered with. If it happens you do a punch correction and you make sure you note the reason why you had to stay. If It continues to happen have a conversation with the person and let them know how you feel and why you need to leave at your scheduled time . Should it continue to happen after that you can go to HR & AP. If after exhausting all of those options it’s still happening and you absolutely have to be let out there’s always a fire exit. Nobody is ever trapped inside the building.

It boggles my mind that stuff like this is happening in stores. Why would any leader think that it is ok to have TMs punch out and then be stuck inside a building for a significant period of time after? This is absolutely not acceptable. I would refuse to punch out until we were ready to walk out the door.

It boggles my mind that stuff like this is happening in stores. Why would any leader think that it is ok to have TMs punch out and then be stuck inside a building for a significant period of time after? This is absolutely not acceptable. I would refuse to punch out until we were ready to walk out the door.

It's actually a tort, false imprisonment. Even though there is an employer-employee relationship, Target cannot force someone to stay and work, see the Thirteenth Amendment. Target could discipline or fire an employee who refused to comply, but disciplining a TM for not wanting to work past their scheduled shift is against policy.

ETL-HR: "We cut hours all across the board this week, why are you at your scheduled hours on wednesday?"
Me (Receiving): "Vendors don't care that you want me to leave at noon when they get here at 1155... and 1215... and... 1240...."
ETL HR: " You need to cut those hours"
Me: "OK, see ya next week"

It's actually a tort, false imprisonment. Even though there is an employer-employee relationship, Target cannot force someone to stay and work, see the Thirteenth Amendment. Target could discipline or fire an employee who refused to comply, but disciplining a TM for not wanting to work past their scheduled shift is against policy.
Didn't Wal-Mart get slapped down for exactly that a few years back...

I find it nuts that it’s even a thought someone entertained then enforced. It was simply accepted at my store as a closer that you did not clock out until you were leaving the building for the night. Closing email still being written ? You stay clocked in

There’s always a fire exit.

So technically next week is March, but it looks like February is going to carry over. Shit's so bad they canceled a truck this week and gave us a bunch of hours to catch up. We, of course, barely have people to give those hours to so shit's still a hot mess. I've been working 10 hour days so my shit is caught up, but the rest of the store is crap.

Anyway, the canceled truck was naturally just added to next week. Fine. Fine. We expected that. What was not expected was the news we got late this afternoon: They've decided to add another truck for next week giving us a nice suprise double long after the schedule has been written. Thanks, corporate. Thanks.

The real fun part is that next week is the week that leadership decided to make massive changes to who owns what throughout the store because it's a slow time of year so a good time to do it. Some of these changes are long overdue, but doing it now is going to add to the shitshow.

Back