Archived The Fine Line Between GSA and GSTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ours do full rotations 32-38 hrs/week with maybe one shift doing CO/breaks/SD/photo.

No, GSA stands for Guest Service Attendant. They are supposed to "help out" at the front lanes - helping both guests and TMs. So if a TM needs change, they get it. If a guest needs a carry out, they either do it or find the cart attendant. Basically they are responsible for tasks it wouldn't make sense for a cashier to do.

The only reason people confuse them for a GSTL (an actual supervisor) is because they do much of the same work.... and honestly, I really don't understand how this confusion happens.

Take a hardlines TL, for example. A hardlines TL does much of the same work a TM does. (zone, work strays, set end caps, help guests, etc) Yet, no one seems to think a hardlines TM is the same as a hardlines TL.

I think the biggest problem with GSA's is that a lot of them try to act like they are a TL. (similar to how sales floor TMs may do this, usually the young 16-18 year olds who get it in their head they are "in charge" for some reason) IMO, a lot of stores don't do anything to stop this behavior.... so when a TM starts to act like a TL, and no actual TL or ETL puts a stop to it, TMs start to think that TM really is a TL.....

Honestly, a GSA would probably be called a "head cashier" at other retailers. (term that is not really used that much anymore, but many years ago at places like Kmart it was) Basically, just a person the other cashiers look to for help.

From experience, no. Team Leader responsibilities and duties are dumped on the GSA. They are scheduled to run the front end as often as TLs, and are expected to do basically the same job. Why? I really don't know. It seemds kinda odd, especially when you have two GSTLs. Do I care that it's like that? Sometimes. But that's only when both GSTLs are there, and one is goofing off at guest service and the other is offstage doing "paperwork", and meanwhile I'm running the front end dealing with dumb cashiers and jerk guests. But even then, I'm still getting paid more than both of them so no biggie.

BTW, if you're a GSA making less than ten an hour, you're getting jipped. Ask for a raise, or ask to not do the TLs job.

Also, if a cashier pulled the "you're a TM I don't have to listen to you card" on a GSA then they would be put in check quickly by a GSTL.

Last edited:
My first point is that we have to throw out the stores that outright ignore GSA guidelines and have them do things that aren't best practice! Just because a few stores are doing it their own way doesn't mean the concept itself is bad!

I think one of the biggest problems I have seen with the GSA position is just the confusion around their expectations! Just because someone can be scheduled as a GSA doesn't mean they need to be held accountable for any sort of leadership expectations or even to a standard as high as the team leaders! For some reason, if "GSA" shows up on your schedule as a TM, you are suddenly held to a higher standard! If you are service desk you suddenly aren't! Its not the workcenter that makes or breaks that, but the person themselves! If I am the GSTL, I should be held accountable to the leadership expectations whether I am scheduled as carts, guest service, GSA, or even cashier! It doesn't matter where I am scheduled... I need to perform those specific tasks (for whatever my workcenter requires) at that time AND be the team leader for the area! A GSA is a TM... and they need to be held accountable for the TASKS that come with their workcenters and not any sort of leadership expectations! If that TM is scheduled as the GSA, they need to speedweave, get change, call for backups, do alcohol sales etc... and nothing else! They aren't responsible for more than their core roles! Just like you wouldn't expect cart attendant to challenge his peers or attempt to engage and inspire others, neither should the GSA who is scheduled to run the front! If the GSTL is scheduled as carts, I still expect him to drive conversion in his area, help replace call-ins etc...

Now what I think causes confusion is that most GSAs are trying to promote to TL... that is when you can be held accountable for more! If you are trying to promote and are the GSA, then you need to be pushing yourself to model different expectations for that! My original point a few posts back was that I don't think that just because someone is a GSA doesn't mean they need to develop into a TL... its ok to have some GSAs that perform their core roles well and want to stay where they are at! In a perfect world, everyone would want to be developed into a TL and to stay with the company, but we all know that isn't quite the case...

Last edited:
Confusion at our store is when GSAs are held to the same expectations as GSTLs but aren't being developed (much less considered) for GSTL.
I was considered capable of doing a GSTL's job - no disciplinary duties (although I was expected to give 'feedback') or reviews (but GSTLs actively sought my thoughts when doing said reviews because I knew every TM up front) - but wasn't considered worth developing to TL.

The way I see it, a GSA supervises onstage, but as their core roles do not include leadership (that's what the GSTL is for, not the GSA), they shouldn't be expected to lead the team. A GSA who can lead would be a good candidate for GSTL.

Since GSAs run the front end when scheduled as GSA, they supervise, but LEADING the team is up to the GSTL.

The way I see it, a GSA supervises onstage, but as their core roles do not include leadership (that's what the GSTL is for, not the GSA), they shouldn't be expected to lead the team. A GSA who can lead would be a good candidate for GSTL.

Since GSAs run the front end when scheduled as GSA, they supervise, but LEADING the team is up to the GSTL.

True, however I think some stores have different expectations from ETLs. Along with the core roles my ETL-GE gave me a Leadership Expectations which more or less is a whole sheet of Target lingo on how leaders should perform. I'm always up for a challenge but when my ETL-GE offered me the position it sounded like she was giving me GSTL based on how in depth it was lol.. went in to more than just GSA but things only a GSTL would be responsible for.

While some people apply for the GSA as a step up to become a TL in the future - I'm sure some would rather just be a GSA.

Sorry guys to spark (lol "spark" ever since I have started working at Walmart that spark word makes me think of my avatar.) this big discussion. I have been thinking of switching over to Target lately and was thinking that I could do it as a GSA. Now that I know GSA has zero leadership responsibilities I do not think I would consider GSA anymore. I might consider GSTL, as I have at least 60 college credits, but I want to finish out college (another 2 years or so.) I really like being a supervisor, so I do not think I would want to step back down. (not that it would be awful, but when trying to work up, going down is not always fun.) Anyway, a CSM at Walmart is like the GSTL as far as I can tell. (The only thing different is that we do not write the yearly eval, but we can still give them. We also do not do anything with schedules, except for making sure people take their breaks at the right time.)

Here is my point... A GSA does NOT fill my shoes when I am not there! I step into their role (plus my leadership) when I am there! They are responsible for a certain set of tasks (speedweaving, getting change etc) that does not require any sort of leadership expectations... I simply perform those tasks when I am there and bring my leadership at the same time... I could have a GSA watching the lanes and I could be the Cart Attendant instead, and I would still be the Team Leader! The only reason a GSA is responsible for more is because 1) the store didn't execute the position properly or 2) the GSA is trying to develop with the company further...

Last edited:
Now that I know GSA has zero leadership responsibilities I do not think I would consider GSA anymore.

The core roles of a GSA doesn't include leadership, however, the actual leadership/responsibilities that a GSTL has is very little compared to other TLs and the most leadership/responsibilities can be done by a GSA. Can you talk up redcards? Anyone in the store can. Can you check DTK and see who needs improvement with conversion? A GSA can. Can you give recognition for responding to backup/getting a redcard? Depends on if you have a walkie.

But it's not like you can pick to be a GSA.

"You have years of supervisor experience related to the front end of a 100+ million dollar store AND you're halfway done with college? You'd be perfect for our overnight flow team!"

The core roles of a GSA doesn't include leadership, however, the actual leadership/responsibilities that a GSTL has is very little compared to other TLs and the most leadership/responsibilities can be done by a GSA. Can you talk up redcards? Anyone in the store can. Can you check DTK and see who needs improvement with conversion? A GSA can. Can you give recognition for responding to backup/getting a redcard? Depends on if you have a walkie.

But it's not like you can pick to be a GSA.

"You have years of supervisor experience related to the front end of a 100+ million dollar store AND you're halfway done with college? You'd be perfect for our overnight flow team!"

Very little leadership? I have the most TMs on my alignment in my building! I currently have 6 coachings that still need to be typed up that are going to have to get done tomorrow... I also have a business walk due, I have to meet with 2 TMs who I am developing into TLs and going over the expectations with them, I have to write the schedule, and find time to get my status planned out! On top of this, I have to perform ALL the duties a GSA would (speedweaving, talking up redcards, giving out recognition)... Those are easy things and aren't anywhere close to "leadership"... I keep having to repeat myself, but a GSTL isn't defined by the tasks he is performing! I could be scheduled as Cart Attendant but still have to perform all my leadership tasks in a shift! What the GSA does is nothing close to what a TL has to perform!

Not coming from Target, I still have some learning to do. I figured I could apply to be a GSA since it seems to be a position, but I am guessing that it is more of a apply from within. I know at Walmart at my store we do not hire outside workers to work at our Customer Service because we don't want to upset the current team by hiring an outside person, we just promote from within.

I feel like you are teasing me at the end "You have years of supervisor experience related to the front end of a 100+ million dollar store AND you're halfway done with college? You'd be perfect for our overnight flow team!":this: :victory: clever :)

GSTL leads the team offstage, and a GSA/GSTL leads the team onstage.

Pretty sure every store expects a GSA to be a leader in one form or another (mine does), there are just certain boundaries that GSAs cant cross (ex: coaching). We're expected to recognize problem behavior, and correct it with "training", or in more serious cases partner with a TL/LOD. We're also responsible for providing recognition exactly like a GSTL does (minus having to choose a monthly top performer).

Very little leadership? I have the most TMs on my alignment in my building! I currently have 6 coachings that still need to be typed up that are going to have to get done tomorrow... I also have a business walk due, I have to meet with 2 TMs who I am developing into TLs and going over the expectations with them, I have to write the schedule, and find time to get my status planned out! On top of this, I have to perform ALL the duties a GSA would (speedweaving, talking up redcards, giving out recognition)... Those are easy things and aren't anywhere close to "leadership"... I keep having to repeat myself, but a GSTL isn't defined by the tasks he is performing! I could be scheduled as Cart Attendant but still have to perform all my leadership tasks in a shift! What the GSA does is nothing close to what a TL has to perform!

That's all paperwork (that every TL does) and it doesn't equal leadership. I'm not trying to call you out or anything. I just think GSTLs doesn't require as much leadership as other team leads. It's not hard to lead a team of cashiers and cart attendants. They're jobs are the easiest in the store.

I feel like you are teasing me at the end "You have years of supervisor experience related to the front end of a 100+ million dollar store AND you're halfway done with college? You'd be perfect for our overnight flow team!":this: :victory: clever :)

Lol I meant it that Target tends to completely disregard previous work history when hiring.

That's all paperwork (that every TL does) and it doesn't equal leadership. I'm not trying to call you out or anything. I just think GSTLs doesn't require as much leadership as other team leads. It's not hard to lead a team of cashiers and cart attendants. They're jobs are the easiest in the store.

It does take a lot of work and leadership to get good results. Anyone can come in and BE a GSA or GSTL, but it takes a great leadership team to drive survey scores, conversion, a knowledgeable team and a good brand all at the same time. Being a GSTL DOES have the perks of having your team around you all at once, but at my store it is very hard to get off the floor to complete that paperwork unlike any other TL (other than cafe or starbucks).

It does take a lot of work and leadership to get good results. Anyone can come in and BE a GSA or GSTL, but it takes a great leadership team to drive survey scores, conversion, a knowledgeable team and a good brand all at the same time. Being a GSTL DOES have the perks of having your team around you all at once, but at my store it is very hard to get off the floor to complete that paperwork unlike any other TL (other than cafe or starbucks).

I do agree with you, but like I said earlier, anyone can drive survey scores and conversion. As a team member, I have done this. It was easy.

I said this once to two ETLs and an STL each of about 25-30 years with Target in my building (basically calling GSTL the easy position)... They didn't hesitate to put me in my place after that comment!

I said this once to two ETLs and an STL each of about 25-30 years with Target in my building (basically calling GSTL the easy position)... They didn't hesitate to put me in my place after that comment!

Easiest TL position in the building, hands down. I've said it for years and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. And yes, I've been one. (Disclaimer: I've never been or worked with either variety of HR TL, so I don't know if they might be easier. Pharmacy TL seems to be basically just another pharmacy tech who also happens to write the schedule, so it could be a contender, but as I've never worked at the pharmacy I can't be sure.)

I will say this though. It can be the most laid back, but it can also be the most stressful. Nobody wants to stand there while a guest insults you every way possible.

Easiest TL position in the building, hands down. I've said it for years and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. And yes, I've been one. (Disclaimer: I've never been or worked with either variety of HR TL, so I don't know if they might be easier. Pharmacy TL seems to be basically just another pharmacy tech who also happens to write the schedule, so it could be a contender, but as I've never worked at the pharmacy I can't be sure.)

Just because a position is the easiest in your building doesn't necessarily mean the same applies to the rest of the stores! You guys make me wonder if you have seen a GE process scored red (especially for extended periods of time) and had to deal with the mess that it causes? I have more coachings on performance than any other TL in my building because the team sat for so long with low expectations that it is now difficult to get them back to performing at the level they should (along with following new best practices)... And no, you can't just "drive" for conversion with them because they just don't care no matter what kinds of games/motivation you try! You have to have consequences on having a red conversion or they don't care! I'm just saying, I wouldn't overgeneralize what you see in your store to every single store... If I did that I would call BS on the PTL position since our team has been running without one since fourth quarter and maintained green because the ETL-HL just oversaw it and the team was already trained well enough to run on their own! Do I think the PTL is an easy position? Nope! It can be difficult but in some stores it may not be :)

Having worked at 2 stores, GSA at one, GSA and now GSTL at the other (among my many roles over the years), my experience is that the line between GSA and GSTL is drawn by your ETL-GE and STL.

My current store is ULV and our GSA's are expected to perform at a higher level of responsibility because they frequently are the ones that are on site when issues come up. Having said that, my GSA's have the backing of myself, the other GSTL and our execs to make mistakes of going over their authority. The worst I would do for a GSA overstepping would be to explain how they overstepped and thank them for taking their job seriously.

My other store, on the other hand, had sufficient leadership at any given point that GSA's were very careful about what they said and did.

Whichever way your store wants to go, your leadership needs to make sure that they are on the same page and explain the expectations. I don't hesitate to let my leaders know when they are giving mixed messages and ask for clarification.

To the question of easy TL positions, my experience is that easy TL positions are ones where you are allowed the time to be a leader and hard positions are when you have to spend the vast majority of your time doing TM level work and try to fit in leadership where you can. And those positions will switch from store to store and vary due to business needs throughout the year.

Just because a position is the easiest in your building doesn't necessarily mean the same applies to the rest of the stores! You guys make me wonder if you have seen a GE process scored red (especially for extended periods of time) and had to deal with the mess that it causes? I have more coachings on performance than any other TL in my building because the team sat for so long with low expectations that it is now difficult to get them back to performing at the level they should (along with following new best practices)... And no, you can't just "drive" for conversion with them because they just don't care no matter what kinds of games/motivation you try! You have to have consequences on having a red conversion or they don't care! I'm just saying, I wouldn't overgeneralize what you see in your store to every single store... If I did that I would call BS on the PTL position since our team has been running without one since fourth quarter and maintained green because the ETL-HL just oversaw it and the team was already trained well enough to run on their own! Do I think the PTL is an easy position? Nope! It can be difficult but in some stores it may not be :)

Wow salesfloor has it tough it seems like its all about politics and making sure not to step on anyones toes. I guess Im spoiled as a pharmacy technician. I correct "coach" my team members and the different pharmacists I work with all the time. My ETL doesnt have a problem with it she actually encourages it. I never feel scared to speak my opinion and let people know if they are slacking or not working up to my standards at work. The only thing I dont "coach" people on is repeatedly not following the rules like being late, cellphones, etc. But anything else is fair gain. Just this past monday I told one of our newer techs that he is too slow and not learning fast enough. It might be harsh but its effective in the pharmacy because time is money and speed is life. I even told him that the next time he works with me he needs to make sure he is putting the drugs back in the correct place in the shelf and to learn atleast 20 more drugs from the top 200 list.:girl_sigh: Then again we arent technically allowed to have a team lead because target is cheap and says we dont do enough scripts per week to be in need of a TL so me and another senior tech get to do the TL stuff in the pharmacy sucks because we are not monetarily compensated for it.

But yeah I have mad respect for anyone working in the front end, sales floor, backroom etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back