Archived The Fine Line Between GSA and GSTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I saw this topic and started reading hoping that someone could actually tell me the fine line (and if there was one beyond no coachings) and I started to get kinda upset.

I agree that the GSTL has more responsibility (because of said coachings), but my store requires me to do the manager restroom checks, defects, and cover any and all breaks up front if there is no coverage (none of which is in my core roles.) But my store has also had an absentee GSTL for almost a year and then no GSTL for three months. In situations like this, the GSAs are easily confused for the GSTL, even though we are all quick to point out we're not. I give advice and tips, but not coachings. I have pulled cashiers aside and into the office, with the GE present, so I can tell them when they've overstepped their boundaries and then the GE delivers the actual coaching. I have talked to people about the length of their breaks (technically a coaching, no matter how it's worded) and then told the LOD about it and they considered it a coaching.

The GSA is a position that is EASILY confused with a GSTL, even when a good GSTL is present, because more than half the time, we run the front lanes. If there is an issue with a guest, the GSA deals with it. If there is an issue with a kiosk and guest service is busy, the GSA deals with it. If I can get talked to for not doing defects one night - again, I will point out that this is not in my core roles - then I can be confused with a GSTL.

I'm sorry, this just bugged me. I'm not undermining the GSTL position, because I'm sure there are great GSTLs out there. My store has just never experienced one. We've had some pretty awesome GSAs, though.

And none of the GSAs in my store make above $9 an hour...grrr...

TLs & ETLs are different tiers of leadership. GSTL falls under the TL tier of leadership.
GSAs are NOT any where in the hierarchy of leadership. They are "assistants" to the GSTL; guest service attendant, if you will.
Many stores, however, abuse them using them as the "cheap" GSTL.
They're in a catch-22 because they're castigated if they don't show 'leadership' (ie: picking up the majority of the GSTL workload) but - should they exhibit too much leadership - they're taken down a peg for being too 'uppity'.
Either way, they can't win.

Okay, I saw this topic and started reading hoping that someone could actually tell me the fine line (and if there was one beyond no coachings) and I started to get kinda upset.

I agree that the GSTL has more responsibility (because of said coachings), but my store requires me to do the manager restroom checks, defects, and cover any and all breaks up front if there is no coverage (none of which is in my core roles.) But my store has also had an absentee GSTL for almost a year and then no GSTL for three months. In situations like this, the GSAs are easily confused for the GSTL, even though we are all quick to point out we're not. I give advice and tips, but not coachings. I have pulled cashiers aside and into the office, with the GE present, so I can tell them when they've overstepped their boundaries and then the GE delivers the actual coaching. I have talked to people about the length of their breaks (technically a coaching, no matter how it's worded) and then told the LOD about it and they considered it a coaching.

The GSA is a position that is EASILY confused with a GSTL, even when a good GSTL is present, because more than half the time, we run the front lanes. If there is an issue with a guest, the GSA deals with it. If there is an issue with a kiosk and guest service is busy, the GSA deals with it. If I can get talked to for not doing defects one night - again, I will point out that this is not in my core roles - then I can be confused with a GSTL.

I'm sorry, this just bugged me. I'm not undermining the GSTL position, because I'm sure there are great GSTLs out there. My store has just never experienced one. We've had some pretty awesome GSAs, though.

From the sound of it ( I don't work in your store so I may be wrong), your leadership is not all on the same page. While you cannot fix that, you may be able to cover your own ass and ask your ETL-GE for explicit instructions regarding their expectations for you and the other GSA's. Whether it works or not, you should get noticed for being willing to question authority for the best of the team. Just make sure you approach the matter in a "seeking feedback" manner instead of a "I'm angry and want things changed now or else" manner. Don't be afraid to let them know that you are frustrated and are unsure how to proceed in a method that protects you while accomplishing the goal.

As for core roles, if I remember correctly there is something in there that basically says you will do what the company needs you to do when they need you to do it per business needs. I have witnessed people trying the "core roles" tact and get shot down hard.

I'm sorry to hear you're stepping down. I'm rapidly approaching that point, but with the way things are in my store, I know I'll lose hours. The last GSA to step down in my store now gets an average of 8-10 hours a week with open availability.

Sorry to hear that, too, Imerzan. I thought it was only happening at my store but it seems to becoming the norm.

Did ae12 change something I don't know about? Coaching has become so routine now even for stupid stuff ...

Did ae12 change something I don't know about? Coaching has become so routine now even for stupid stuff ...

It's probably just your new ETL and TL. Are they new to the job or only new to the store? If new to the job, they will eventually figure out how ridiculous they are being once they learn EVERYONE in the store hates them for being an ass. Don't get me wrong, I love it when newbs do this (it can bring a team closer because of the mutual hatred), but it can become annoying when you have 3+ new leaders in the building that the team becomes so overwhelmed with hate.

I find that as a GSA my tips, advice, admonitions, etc. can basically be blown off because TMs know that I don't have any real authority over them. Sure, if something happens, I can pass it along to my GSTLs, but we're all so overwhelmed with the workload, I'll be lucky if it ever gets addressed. GSTLs barely have any time to deal with matters that they see directly, much less things brought to their attention by the GSAs. I can't even get a 15 minute status with my GSTL once a week (or even once every 2 weeks). ALL communication is done through email, and we know how effective that is when you sit down to 15 emails after clocking in and are expected to be out on the floor covering in 5 minutes.

I make it a point to status with my GSTL during every handoff. Even if I'm a midshift and I'm leaving for the night, I'll status right before I leave just to make sure we're all on the same page. Of course email communication is prevalent, but communication is stressed very highly with my team just because we have so much going on.

Oh, I do the same daily statuses during shift changes. I meant more substantial statuses along the lines of how TLs will sit down weekly (in theory) with their ETLs.

That's all paperwork (that every TL does) and it doesn't equal leadership. I'm not trying to call you out or anything. I just think GSTLs doesn't require as much leadership as other team leads. It's not hard to lead a team of cashiers and cart attendants. They're jobs are the easiest in the store.

in the defense of the salesfloor and other tl's I have to admit they do have to put up with more focus on leadership than other leads. Even in HR i don't do half the leading they do! Getting your team to preform add rotations, making sure they zone, are trained, cross trained, making sure singing is correct, performing ptm's, ticketing and pushing clearance and ALL while also doing coachings, developing their own team members do schedules and so on and so on. Im and HRTL and I envy not being that intense, we have it lucky though. For the most part though a GSA can Lead if they know what they are doing, they coach through proxy which most etl's do as well and they are considered leaders. Basically a strong GSA can easily cover as a GSTL. A run of the mill GSA that sticks to the minimum (core roles) won't and that is was Target does not wan't they want team members they can see as team leads at the start. And development is everyone's expectation not an exclusive team lead trait, Peer to Peer Mentoring is what really gets attention.

in the defense of the salesfloor and other tl's I have to admit they do have to put up with more focus on leadership than other leads. Even in HR i don't do half the leading they do! Getting your team to preform add rotations, making sure they zone, are trained, cross trained, making sure singing is correct, performing ptm's, ticketing and pushing clearance and ALL while also doing coachings, developing their own team members do schedules and so on and so on. Im and HRTL and I envy not being that intense, we have it lucky though. For the most part though a GSA can Lead if they know what they are doing, they coach through proxy which most etl's do as well and they are considered leaders. Basically a strong GSA can easily cover as a GSTL. A run of the mill GSA that sticks to the minimum (core roles) won't and that is was Target does not wan't they want team members they can see as team leads at the start. And development is everyone's expectation not an exclusive team lead trait, Peer to Peer Mentoring is what really gets attention.

I want to go to one of these stores you guys talk about where the salesfloor TL's have TM's (well hardlines anyway as our softlines TLs always have TM's).

I want to go to one of these stores you guys talk about where the salesfloor TL's have TM's (well hardlines anyway as our softlines TLs always have TM's).

Not sure about everyone else's stores but usually we have our team lead in the day, a mid and then all the other hardlines tms close. The TL's will work with them one night a week, and preform a quick huddle at shift change to strategize with the team.

Everyone has made a valid point but I think that alot of people underestimate the GSA's. We do work hard & actually believe it or not we have more pull with the team because we can connect with them on a certain level. Also at my store every leader in the store recognizes that our GSA's out perform our GSTL's. Which is sad, as a GSA I captain over redcards/attachments, VIBE, front-end brand, TM Accountability. I do stand out in my store & I am looking to become a TL but I also feel that the same passion I have my TL's should.

My GSTL and ETL-GE have said we can have "conversations", and we must document them in email or writing for the GSTL or ETL to keep track of later.

My GSTL and ETL-GE have said we can have "conversations", and we must document them in email or writing for the GSTL or ETL to keep track of later.

That whole 'conversations' thing is such a scam.
It's a setup if you want to get rid of a TM because you can stack them until you can performance someone out.
The TM thinks they're being reminded to do something until they're dragged into the office and 'surprise' here is a paper to sign.
I'm sorry but that is the worst kind of sucker punch.

This makes me sad, but it's true. The other two GSA's at my store make about $9 an hour, and I make over $11. I was hired on with experience pay, though. I just keep it a secret and only my ETL, HR, and GSTL know what I make. They've said that they believe it's why I actually care about the job I do..I'm being compensated more appropriately than the others for it.

Yeah I make $8.75 as a GSA. I care, quite a bit, but if I'm still a GSA and not some sort of TL when a better offer rolls around...

Incidentally in my store both my ETL-GE and Sr. GSTL and GSTL have been sure to point out that while I can't coach, I can have conversations and help train people to be better. For the most part they're pretty supportive and don't require any documentation from me (i.e. they're not using it to performance someone out the door), but part of why they promoted me has to do with the fact that I have some real-world experience before target and can get around most situations with professionalism so that there isn't any big blowup/tattling that gets the higher-ups involved. Most likely if I came across a situation like that and felt it was potentially a problem I'd just forward it along to someone who could coach to handle it.

I was wallowing in a tank of self pity until I saw that some GSAs are getting $8.xx per hour, which is pretty cruel. Our store has just one GSA due to the last 4 GSAs they hired stepping down within weeks and she only does full blown GSTL shifts.

It's a very, very fine line. We should be identifying problems via It sounds to me like that was the approach the OP took, and it backfired on them! As a new GSA also, I am extremely hesitant to say anything at all to the team members for this very reason. Unfortunately our GSTL avoids conflict at all costs, including much-needed coachings and final warnings. This really makes for a frustrating situation for the GSA's! I'm quickly finding out we have all of the accountability and none of the power to make changes.:angry:

I deal with the same issues as a GSA. We have no real power, yet are expected to act like we do. Our GSTL never handles issues and coachings..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back