Archived The Job Search Resource Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The purpose of this thread is to get as many websites or articles as possible to help those looking to leave Target for better employment. All I'm looking for in your replies are links to stuff involved in the job search. I will be going through the replies and adding the links to this post. This original post will be organized as best as I can manage it in BBcode to make it easier for viewers to find the information they're looking for without having to sift through dozens of replies.

If you're contributing something region specific and feel that it may reveal you to the watchful eyes of Spot, feel free to PM it to me.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Nationwide
Bureau of Labor Statistics - http://www.bls.gov/home.htm
USAJOBS: Federal Gov's Official Job Site - http://www.usajobs.gov/
Dept of Labor Workforce Investment Act stuff - http://www.doleta.gov/usworkforce/wia/act.cfm
Dept of Labor Job Seeker site - http://www.doleta.gov/jobseekers/
Regional Help Wanted dot com - http://regionalhelpwanted.com/corporate/our_sites_usa.cfm

Freelance
Docracy - http://www.docracy.com/

News / Blog Articles
Lifehacker - "How do I deal with interview questions I'd rather not answer?"
Lifehacker - "The Interview Question that's always asked (and how to nail it)"

By State
IA Iowa

MA Massachusetts

MN Minnesota

MT Montana

ND North Dakota

NY New York

NC North Carolina

RI Rhode Island

SD South Dakota

TN Tennessee

WI Wisconsin

WY Wyoming

By Industry / Field

Last edited:
here are some great links done by the us dept of labor for employment & training:
http://www.doleta.gov/usworkforce/wia/act.cfm

it has several links for training & jobs offers for the federal, state, local governments & private sectors. they offer several tyoes of assistance programs: for ex: job loss, training, career opps, find a job, & self assessment of yourself(help you find that career).
http://www.doleta.gov/jobseekers/

these programs are paid for by taxpayers & various govt agencies. most services are free or at little cost to you.
i hope this helps!

Can you necrobump a sticky? Updated with some info gained via PM.

Out of Curiosity I looked at the job requirements to be a Frito-Lay Vendor.

I laughed because I am a PA and the job requirements to be a Vendor for them literally spell out my job to a T. It is nice to know that there ARE other opportunities outside SPOT. Ones that actually probably pay better, with half the stress.

So any Perishable Assistants out there, you could have a possible opportunity with them. And if you treat your Vendors right, you could have the perfect job recommendation come from one of your past vendors if Target doesn't give them one.

I have a habit of getting my hopes up in anything in life. Any time I think something good might happen to me I always get disappointed.

I went to a petsmart interview this morning and yep I got disappointed.

I put on my application that I wanted to be a cashier but nope. I was interviewed for a stocker position. It's early morning too. Pay and hours are bad. Just 8.50 an hour and maybe 26 hours a week.

I did my best to fake it and talk about my retail experience but I just don't know what to do in life.

Theoretically if Target decided to keep me, I could do both jobs but it would likely kill me.

I'd rather have a gas station part time job where I could go in at 10pm and leave before sunrise. That would be better for me.

I have an invitation to take a math test on Tuesday for QT. I just wish I had a rich friend or someone with connections that could put in a good word for me for a job.

I have a habit of getting my hopes up in anything in life. Any time I think something good might happen to me I always get disappointed.

I put on my application that I wanted to be a cashier but nope. I was interviewed for a stocker position. It's early morning too. Pay and hours are bad. Just 8.50 an hour and maybe 26 hours a week.

I did my best to fake it and talk about my retail experience but I just don't know what to do in life.

Theoretically if Target decided to keep me, I could do both jobs but it would likely kill me.

I'd rather have a gas station part time job where I could go in at 10pm and leave before sunrise. That would be better for me.

I have an invitation to take a math test on Tuesday for QT. I just wish I had a rich friend or someone with connections that could put in a good word for me for a job.

That sucks man, I hope you can find something. Are there any other Targets that you could transfer to? Another store in your area might be better off than your current store.

Nope. I have zero chance of a transfer. The STL can't stand me. I'm not dumb. I know I'm a negative prick but I show up and what's required of me every shift I work. I even stay late to finish pulling the price change. Shit, I was scheduled for less than 6 hours each shift on Tuesday and Wednesday but still took lunches because I was worried about the price change batches.

@Jackswastedlife99

Go to fucking China, goddammit! What the fuck you doing, applying at PetsMart? All retail is the same. Get on indeed.com or some other job listing site, write a fancy resume, and submit it to as many companies as possible.

I have obligations ie a grown man baby older brother that I have been designated to take care of. Why do you think I'm always so hostile and bitchy?

I have a worklife that I hate and a home life I hate. I also have no money lol. I scrape by at Target. I want a 2nd job because I want to save up money for my escape.

I know I probably have up too easy on the China thing but I don't think I'm ready. If I'm being completely honest, the money is the only thing holdime.back. I would need at least 2 to 3 grand saved up in addition to a plane ticket to China. I still want to go over there but I want to plan it out.

With that being said, I'm aware that I'm getting older. I'll be 33 in May and I know I'm running out of time but I still have time left.

Just got to somehow get some money in my possession and hold onto it.

not trying to be a jerk or anything but if you're physically able to work 2 jobs then just bite the bullet and do it. I work 2 jobs and many of my coworkers at Target work 2 jobs. Yes, it truly sucks but so is being broke. I can't stand it when people throw pity parties for themselves and expect others to relate. I work 2 jobs because I have a family to support and there's no way in hell i'm gonna put myself in a position where I can't provide.

I'm in my late 50's, a grandma that never sees family and a husband with serious health issues that is retired.. I work 2 jobs, do truck and cashier AND I have autoimmune issues that I "have to deal with". Had my hours cut from 30 + down to 12, lost my flipping insurance and now have had my hours slashed again...and it's 4thQ.

You're 33? OK, let me tell you like I'd tell my own 33 yr old kid.... REALLY... grow up, suck it up and just do what you have to do to earn a living. Go to college for something you like, education doesn't guarantee you'll live the life of Riley but it does have it's advantages. Don't think "You still have time" because you Don't....it moves faster than you think. The old saying.. Time waits for no one... is absolutely true.

Out of Curiosity I looked at the job requirements to be a Frito-Lay Vendor.

I laughed because I am a PA and the job requirements to be a Vendor for them literally spell out my job to a T. It is nice to know that there ARE other opportunities outside SPOT. Ones that actually probably pay better, with half the stress.

So any Perishable Assistants out there, you could have a possible opportunity with them. And if you treat your Vendors right, you could have the perfect job recommendation come from one of your past vendors if Target doesn't give them one.
I have a tm that use to work for me at spot , he left to be a vendor , and now he comes and merchandising the store . He makes a lot more that he was making at target. He was with spot for 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back