The last of signing captains

So I identify
with the orca..after 11 years at T0817 in Bradenton FL I am phased out. Forced 2 retire or be termed out because for almost 11 years I refuse to operate a
Cash register. I supported the front end in other ways...carry outs/carry ins/ cart pushing.. when I started I said I do not want to run registers but although I tried to prolong my career at target it became a decision at a early stage because I embraced making a difference. I enjoyed being a Signing/associate/signing supervisor and signing captain..so many titles but was only paid back pay one time because It was 😑found out I was operating in 2 departments. interesting because i took on two jobs in two different departments the signing and general merchandise Perhaps j am old but I really enjoyed that job ..I could even audit the planogram team and my boss. I think Target is special because Target inspired me to be the best I could've been in that position but alas It was for naught because now the store is so much
more different ..I see target as carrying on by the signing...this is what sets us about as a special experience... I loved setting up overheads for spring.summer fall and creating a Christmas winter wonderland.and then I am pushed out because I did what they required yet my job was eliminated And had to support visual merchandisers who were afraid of getting on the wave. I am not afraid ...my name is Donald Starrett and I tried my best at # T-0817 but was denied. I am retired and was only trying to make some pocket money. It wasn't about the $$$ only making a difference in what I was taught...perhaps only Brian Cornell can extend his career ! Old guys rule !

You made the right move. You can never reason with a drunk. The young guns without class, experience and brains are in it for the advancement and will slice your nuts off in a heartbeat. Others out there, pay attention and learn from experience. We've forgotten more than they have learned. Enjoy the later years, they are really quite nice. Advice to those close to leaving: DO NOT piss your money away. Be smart. Rotate your 401k around for security. Cash funds are zero risk. Low yield, no risk. Given the morons in the White House you never know the next day's financial volatility.

I tried 2 be of service but enough is enough..I hate to say it but there are many women who refused to operate machinery. And said they were uncomfortable doing it but i carried them.. but now I am eliminated because I never wanted to operate a register but there are different standards that must be adhered to ...there cannot be different rules...everyone is special and all people have limitations..if Target would realize that...they could move into a bright future.

Excellent advice Captain...save $$ and get out...damn Whitehouse cost me some $$.

I tried 2 be of service but enough is enough..I hate to say it but there are many women who refused to operate machinery. And said they were uncomfortable doing it but i carried them.. but now I am eliminated because I never wanted to operate a register but there are different standards that must be adhered to ...there cannot be different rules...everyone is special and all people have limitations..if Target would realize that...they could move into a bright future.
I understand where you are coming from signing is not as easy as most think .However when you applied and accepted the job you said you are able to perform all the duties of a cashier . What you said about not wanting to do it and what you signed are 2 different things as well.And you stated that you refused to do it . Would I have hired you if you said that to me ? No. Would I have let you refuse it for 11 years ? No .
Now does my signing person ring the register ? No but if I asked and refused I would term that person on the spot .

I can see where both sides are coming from here, however I lean to agree with RetRobution slightly more than allnew2.
Term on the spot seems a bit harsh.
If my store did this we would have NO workforce.
-we certainly have some that are excused from ringing
-we also have some that don’t speak English therefore do NOT help ALL guests
-we have some that will NOT use the wave
-we have MANY that will NOT answer the phones
we only have about 3 people that will make a bale and 2 that will wrap the salvage pallet - yet the workload gets completed…….as a team.

I am misunderstood when I started I only accepted the position under the condition that I would not operate a register only because I did that for 12 years as a teamster in parking lots. I worked thru the pandemic without ever getting sick.

Technically, we're all (I think?) supposed to be trained on the registers so we can provide back-up. But. The team at my store is a lot like what @Far from newbie describes. Not everyone knows how to make a bale, yet it always gets done. Not everyone picks up on phone calls, yet it gets answered. We have a TM who can't climb the ladders because of bad knees; other TMs do the high-up back stocking and pulls for her - and she loves cashiering even though that's not her work center, so she helped out a lot up front the last few weeks. We have some TMs who I've never seen on a register in all the years I've been there, but they do excellent work in other areas.
My store's leadership recognizes that different TMs have their own strong points and doesn't push too hard when it comes to those tasks that are less popular. It's too bad that @RetRobution's leadership doesn't think the same way.

I was trained on registers and was called up a few times.
Each time I asked all the questions about the red card I was supposed to, and did all the steps they told us we had to do in training.
Which meant I was incredibly slow.
Working to the job can be fun.

I think they only called me up four times.

Last edited:
Pushed, did the line, made hundreds of bales, wrapped sweep, pulled skids, cleaned up shit that broke and spilled and never once was asked not told, to go on a register. I'm not friendly enough to interact with people for extended periods of time. Always volunteered for Ad Set on Sundays.

Someone just wants you out if they are making it that big of a deal. If the store can work for 11 years without you touching a register then I'm sure they could of found someone else to cover it when they needed it. 13 years here at Target and I never used a register for probably the first 8 or so years. I've still never done back up once, but have checked out a few guest here and there at the tech boat when no one was available. There are tms who have been trained and are available to back up that should go before I ever should. I don't ask them to make bales or get carts when I need help. Very limited thinking that because target says everyone should be register trained means that everyone should actually be used to cover a register.

I rarely was backup. As in half the time a supervisor had to re-authorize me in the computer since I had gone so long without doing so the computer had dropped me from the active list.

I can see a lot of reasons why someone would not want to be on a register and nothing would destroy the store by skipping them but a lot of hard workers would be lost by eliminating those that won't/can't.

And a lot of those reasons are no one's business, except possibly HR, but possibly not even HR.

Back