Archived the silliest interview/new tm questions you ever heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but....many of our TLs and ETLs wouldn't have the savvy to do that without setting up Target for a lawsuit for asking inappropriate questions.

Unfortunately that's a real issue. If you don't use structured questions, you really set yourself up for a lawsuit for bias. I heard a story once about another company. Somehow the candidate worked the fact he was on antidepressants when told he would need a drug test. When he wasn't offered the job, he sued based on discrimination for mental health problems. Some people will find any reason to call a company out based on racial or gender or disability bias if they don't get hired. Using a structured interview avoids potential for bias because all the questions for all of the candidates are the same and based on actual examples of experience. In theory, it should work. In actuality, I doubt anybody who interviews for a tm position could afford a lawsuit. But a company as large as Target probably doesn't want to take the risk.

Wow....There is a huge difference between being a leader and a manager. Leaders need to have compassion and understanding. They get their team members to buy-in. I think that HR-ETL was having a rough day or something. That's not how one handles that situation.

What situation?

If you mean firing them on the spot for wanting to change their availability then I disagree. That is how you handle it. Lying to get hired is a no-no, and should be dealt with in the manner described.

There are too many to tell. I used to manage at a different company... most unbelievably shocking interview has to be this:

Q: Have you ever witnessed theft?
A: Yes. I used to steal from my old job. Only from the register though.

:eek: What kind of dumbass would say that?! Lol

I also had a guy tell me that he used to sell and distribute drugs..he bragged about how lucrative of a business it was.
Good thing I asked about previous work experience. o_O

There are some seriously stupid people out there lol

One woman came out of orientation with a schedule that she handed to the hrtm, saying "These are the hours I can work because the time blocked out is my OTHER job."
The ETL-HR was nearby & said "Excuse me? When you interviewed, you said you had an open availability."
Newbie: "Well....everyone says that to get the job."
ETL: "We also told you that you could NOT change your availability during the first 90 days."
Newbie: "Yes but--"
ETL: "But nothing. You were hired on this info."
Newbie: "I guess I could work something out...."
ETL: "I don't think so. You submitted false info on your application so the offer is withdrawn. You can use the TM exit to your left." and walked away.
I was at my locker looking at the now ex-newbie & the hrtm.
The hrtm looked at the newbie & said "Yeh, that just happened."

This is what happens when you have an HR-ETL who knows what real power they hold LOL. I would have been on the floor laughing.

I know this post is old but I just came across to this.. I am glad I don't work at your store.. I am deaf and I have worked for Target on Flow for 5 years . I am wondering how worse deaf workers are.. I think hearing TMs who stand around doing nothing but gossiping is worse.

It goes both ways though.
Sometimes the questions asked to us during the interviews are incredibly stupid as well.
I know hundreds of HR people sat around and cast runes to come up with them but damn...

Come up with eight way ways to use a pencil other than write with it.
The HR person was was a bit nonplussed when I suggested putting pencil sized holes in someone.

Even worse is how they come out sounding to someone with ESL or worse deaf.
I had a great conversation with our interpreter about how hard it was for her to convert some of the questions to ASL since it is such a literal language and she's not allowed to help the client but the situation calls for some finessing to have any reasonable outcome.

I know this post is old but I just came across to this.. I am glad I don't work at your store.. I am deaf and I have worked for Target on Flow for 5 years . I am wondering how worse deaf workers are.. I think hearing TMs who stand around doing nothing but gossiping is worse.

I don't work for Target anymore.
I work for DVR, supporting the deaf and hard of hearing team.

We find great opportunities for deaf workers and they make great employees.
To be honest in the places where there are a lot of deaf workers they tend to gossip about as much as the hearing workers.
People are people.

I don't work for Target anymore.
I work for DVR, supporting the deaf and hard of hearing team.

We find great opportunities for deaf workers and they make great employees.
To be honest in the places where there are a lot of deaf workers they tend to gossip about as much as the hearing workers.
People are people.

I know a good bit of ASL so I hired 6 deaf tms over my years at Target. Every one of them were fantastic employees and used paper pads to help customers when needed.

And yes, they also gossip, but no more than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back