Archived The Truth About What Execs Really Think of Team Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having just left Target (thank you, Jesus!) for a much better paying, less office politics job... I thought I would share info from an org. chart that was saved to a desktop of one of our store computers. (One of our ETLs was a bit of a computer dummy and couldn't operate MySite)

Every ETL has a chart sent to them by the STL. It contains a table with little symbols as to ratings for TLs.
The figures as described as such:

Symbol 1= Ideal for elevation
Symbol 2= Not Ideal for elevation
Symbol 3= Alternative
Symbol 4= Diverse
Symbol=Male
Symbol=Female

The email attached to this file said to rate all TLs in the store and turn it in by such and such a date to be sent up to our DTL.

The people with the symbol for Ideal for Elevation are all young, fairly attractive and athletic- just like EVERY new ETL we have hired/trained in the last 3 years
The people with the symbol for Not Ideal for Elevation are overweight or older Team Leaders
The people with the symbol for Alternative are the Homosexual Team Leaders in the store
The people with the symbol for Diverse are any race other than caucasian ie: African American, Hispanic etc

If you think that they are not rating you- you're mistaken. If you think that the way you look won't affect how much you get paid or if you get promoted- think again. There is another chart called a GAPS chart. They rate you weekly on the GAPS- it is basically:

Needs Improvement -obvious
Good in current role- they're going to leave you right where you are
Do more- they think you should be doing more despite it not being in your core roles, which might or might not get you into the onto the bench category
On the bench=Headed for ETL position

I've known about GAPS for some time and was shocked to realize we were scored in such a fashion. But when I found this org chart I was unable to hold myself back from absolute disgust. It's a shame Target can physically, racially or sexually choose how they promote us or give raises. They should be ashamed, but they're not. I wish everyone well here that's stuck at Target.

So, HeyThereDelila, Target is knowingly participating in violating the federal EEOC laws? Because this is a form of discrimination. People judged on the basis of looks, age, sexuality, and race is serious. How common do you think this is throughout the company?

Even making that transition from a TM to a TL is difficult. Think about all the TM spots compared to TL, and all the high potential candidates that get passed up. Then it's even more difficult jumping from a TL to an ETL. Based on my experience, the company much rather gamble on a new ETL fresh out of college with no work experience, than give an opportunity to a TL who has proven themselves time and time again. But think about it from this perspective-- the ETL's in role right now ultimately have MINIMAL say in which TL goes ETL because that's the decision the STL/DTL make. It's nearly impossible to break-though from hourly to salary unless you know the right people, it's mostly politics.

It might have something to do with the fact that candidates fresh out of college are more easily indoctrinated.

So, HeyThereDelila, Target is knowingly participating in violating the federal EEOC laws? Because this is a form of discrimination. People judged on the basis of looks, age, sexuality, and race is serious. How common do you think this is throughout the company?

You know that Spot has 100% plausible dependability on this kind of stuff.
The grading is, I'm sure, totally 'unofficial' and would never be included in anything that would come up in legal files.
Of course it will always be what they expect you to judge you people on but you can never admit it.

It's just part of their little 'culture club'....spoken about but never written. All that's missing is the password & secret handshake.

I have seen what HeyThereDelia posted and it is Succession Planning. It is for planning who will be taking over what areas and when. It also lists TL in order of HIPO, Do More, Well Placed, Needs Improvement, New In Role etc. We actually do the same for thing for TMs its called the PPA grid. I know for sure at my store it is not based on looks, but how well a team leader does and what their potential is. Nobody should be surprised when you see or if you see where you are placed if your ETL is doing their job and a team leader is seeking feedback from multiple ETLs.

Every ETL has a chart sent to them by the STL. It contains a table with little symbols as to ratings for TLs.
The figures as described as such:

Symbol 1= Ideal for elevation
Symbol 2= Not Ideal for elevation
Symbol 3= Alternative
Symbol 4= Diverse
Symbol=Male
Symbol=Female

The email attached to this file said to rate all TLs in the store and turn it in by such and such a date to be sent up to our DTL.

The people with the symbol for Ideal for Elevation are all young, fairly attractive and athletic- just like EVERY new ETL we have hired/trained in the last 3 years
The people with the symbol for Not Ideal for Elevation are overweight or older Team Leaders
The people with the symbol for Alternative are the Homosexual Team Leaders in the store
The people with the symbol for Diverse are any race other than caucasian ie: African American, Hispanic etc

After reading this multiple times, I have come to the conclusion that you are completely speculating why each TL was given a specific rating. You only saw one chart, from one ETL. The ratings they gave could have been complete coincidence with your own classifications.

It kind of makes sense, though. Overweight and older people tend to be less capable in a physical capacity. This is not an insult, I'm making a general assumption based on my own observations. So, if these TLs move a little slower, they may be perceived as "not ideal" because speed is life. As far as alternative and diverse, these terms are fairly ambiguous and could mean different things to different people.

Or, maybe you're right. :boredom:

After reading this multiple times, I have come to the conclusion that you are completely speculating why each TL was given a specific rating. You only saw one chart, from one ETL. The ratings they gave could have been complete coincidence with your own classifications.

It kind of makes sense, though. Overweight and older people tend to be less capable in a physical capacity. This is not an insult, I'm making a general assumption based on my own observations. So, if these TLs move a little slower, they may be perceived as "not ideal" because speed is life. As far as alternative and diverse, these terms are fairly ambiguous and could mean different things to different people. Or, maybe you're right. :boredom:
At 50, I still haven't found anyone that I couldn't work under a table. Guarantee. Our 50 something backroom guys also work circles around the younger guys who tend to get bored and distracted easily.

I'm appalled that this company would condone putting a faceless symbol to a real person. Its morally reprehensible.

Speed is life? sheesh Life is speed.

At 50, I still haven't found anyone that I couldn't work under a table. Guarantee. Our 50 something backroom guys also work circles around the younger guys who tend to get bored and distracted easily.

I'm appalled that this company would condone putting a faceless symbol to a real person. Its morally reprehensible.

Speed is life? sheesh Life is speed.
So true! I am an old fart too. Young tm's can't keep up With me at my store either.

So true! I am an old fart too. Young tm's can't keep up With me at my store either.

Right there with ya! I'm older, have tendonitis (that truly despises pushing milk and laundry detergent) and a bad back.
A few of us had a discussion about this, we came to the conclusion that older generations have a different work ethic. If you are going to do a job, you're going to do it right, no matter what. We don't expect to get paid for just showing up.

Not only work these kids under any table, taken on duties after other TLs departed but I sought out ADDITIONAL duties in my area that I felt were being neglected so your stereotype doesn't fly here.

Totally asking my ETL about this tomorrow! I am headed towards my ETL interviews the end of next month. This would be interesting to find out more about.

They're not gonna own up to it unless you make ETL.
For all practical purposes, this DOESN'T exist as it would border on violations of several labor laws

Right there with ya! I'm older, have tendonitis (that truly despises pushing milk and laundry detergent) and a bad back.
A few of us had a discussion about this, we came to the conclusion that older generations have a different work ethic. If you are going to do a job, you're going to do it right, no matter what. We don't expect to get paid for just showing up.

Absolutely!

Our etl hr discussed this chart with us during a TL chat session. I only heard about needs improvement,good in current role, do more, on the bench. Nothing about diverse, ideal for elevation, not ideal, etc. In my experience TLs who got promoted to Etls some were fat, some were ugly, some were thin, etc. the only thing they all had in common is that they were lazy SOBs and knew how to kiss ass.

Our etl hr discussed this chart with us during a TL chat session. I only heard about needs improvement,good in current role, do more, on the bench. Nothing about diverse, ideal for elevation, not ideal, etc. In my experience TLs who got promoted to Etls some were fat, some were ugly, some were thin, etc. the only thing they all had in common is that they were lazy SOBs and knew how to kiss ass.

LMAO!!!! Well, I certainly hope so! Now that would be completely understandable. LOL!

They're not gonna own up to it unless you make ETL.
For all practical purposes, this DOESN'T exist as it would border on violations of several labor laws

saw this last year. there's nothing on paper to tie it to those meanings, but that's how they were using it. of course, legally, there's nothing written that would break a labor law. it's all coded. just like when our old stl told us not to hire people over 30. she had a special code word for them in the interview packet. disgusting.

saw this last year. there's nothing on paper to tie it to those meanings, but that's how they were using it. of course, legally, there's nothing written that would break a labor law. it's all coded. just like when our old stl told us not to hire people over 30. she had a special code word for them in the interview packet. disgusting.

That can be tracked by spot, by using the age, or birthday on the app. Too rejections will cOme to someone's attn, if a complaint was made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back