Archived The Truth About What Execs Really Think of Team Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol spike!!!

yep... 3 new stls in our district. actually, within 2 hours of our store. 24, 24, 26 years old. all very young, diverse, peppy, FRESH out of college with NO job experience. not ETLS--STLS. went to support help to open up their stores. they looked like scared bunnies... in wedge heels. my team busted their butts, got done, audited, etc. and not once did they say thank you to them in person or offer to help out. they just click click clicked around saying "oh, how much longer do you think it'll take..."

They better be paying these guys WAY below what I've been seeing on glassdoor for stls. When I see the 100k figure, and then consider what I see my STL do (and lack thereof), I think they are seriously overpaid.

STLs, really?

yes, really. i was floored. the youngest guy is taking over a new pfresh store. they also had hired 3 fresh outta college for ge, log (i actually trained him at my store before going to help), and hl. their hr is a well seasoned veteran (very.... in charge). she was bossing them around like all get out.
the other two---one is replacing our old stl. she's 24 as well. the other gal is about an hour away, but was training. her store has veteran etls, so she'll probably be ok until she tries to play stl with them. most of them have been with the company a decade.

as far as pay, i know our former stl was making over 100k, but he had been with the company forever. my guess is that it's not only the tm getting the shaft in pay these days. best of luck to 'em.

yes, really. i was floored. the youngest guy is taking over a new pfresh store. they also had hired 3 fresh outta college for ge, log (i actually trained him at my store before going to help), and hl. their hr is a well seasoned veteran (very.... in charge). she was bossing them around like all get out.
the other two---one is replacing our old stl. she's 24 as well. the other gal is about an hour away, but was training. her store has veteran etls, so she'll probably be ok until she tries to play stl with them. most of them have been with the company a decade.

as far as pay, i know our former stl was making over 100k, but he had been with the company forever. my guess is that it's not only the tm getting the shaft in pay these days. best of luck to 'em.

Haha, they're making STLs the new ETLs. "Right outta college? How'd you like to work for a fresh, hip company that's all about energy? No experience huh? Not a problem, how'd you like to run a $50 million business?"

PullMeBackIn, maybe the ALL used the wrong terminology and meant to use "personal leadership" such as Accountability, Relates Well to Others, and/or Resilient and Adaptable. If this is the case, then the person wasn't speaking down to you, but was giving feedback on what may have been observed. Personally, I have been told in the past that I had to work on certain things within the Personal Leadership Expectations (primarily Relates Well.to Others) and I took it as my store's leadership just giving me some feedback and constructive criticism. I listened to what was said, improved on what needed to be improved upon, and now I have a great business partnership with every ETL in my store as well as my STL.

My mistake, misread that you were the APL. I really don't know what the APBP could have meant except if the polo wasnt tucked in or if it would be prefered that you wore a button down twill shirt, but I can't see that keeping you from advancing unless they were really nit-picking

we all agree about that, all upper mgmt and execs are overpaid and all tl's and tm's are under paid
They better be paying these guys WAY below what I've been seeing on glassdoor for stls. When I see the 100k figure, and then consider what I see my STL do (and lack thereof), I think they are seriously overpaid.

Yeah, if it had been more blatant than what it was I would have pursued it more. Is it the real reason behind being strung along for over 2 years? I have no idea. Frankly now that I've moved on to other things and am just working part time as a TPS its not worth me losing sleep over.

This is an image first (and primarily) company, I've come to accept that now. In the short term their endless plan to avoid long-term employees will definitely save them money. As the company continues though it will only hurt them as the truly innovative and worthwhile employees will look to greener pastures. Other retailers such as Walmart and Costco are already getting aggressive about recruiting Target talent while Target continues to look for any college grad that can fog a mirror.

Our store is losing one of our best people, a SrTL, to another retailer just because he doesn't have a 4 year degree. Yet we just hired two "sorority girl" types for an ETL and a SrTL position who have no business trying to run a store. Makes me sad for Target's future.

Our store is losing one of our best people, a SrTL, to another retailer just because he doesn't have a 4 year degree. Yet we just hired two "sorority girl" types for an ETL and a SrTL position who have no business trying to run a store. Makes me sad for Target's future.

yes. this.

so what's with the four year degree thing? is it official now? what areas of the country?

man lots of hate on young people lol.

whats the average age on here anyways? haha.

Not so much 'young' as 'young & inexperienced'. Many of us were young when we started & ETLs were the adults in the building. I've watched the median age - along with experience & maturity - plummet in the last 3 yrs, taking pride in one's work & morale along with it.

so what's with the four year degree thing? is it official now? what areas of the country?

Not sure if it's official, but when I asked him why he was leaving he said he was told that he would never get promoted past SrTL because he did not have a degree. It's really frustrating because he was by far the best LOD we had.

I don't have a problem with our new ETL's because they are young so much as the fact that they have no experience and not a lot of common sense.

Not sure if it's official, but when I asked him why he was leaving he said he was told that he would never get promoted past SrTL because he did not have a degree. It's really frustrating because he was by far the best LOD we had.

I don't have a problem with our new ETL's because they are young so much as the fact that they have no experience and not a lot of common sense.

It's not just that you have to have a degree to promote because there's plenty of team leads that have degrees (I was one of them and I knew of plenty in the same situation). It's that Target has effectively installed a glass ceiling between team lead and ETL whereby ETL is an entry level position if you've just graduated from college and TL is the top position you can attain if you enter Target at any position lower than ETL.

Even making that transition from a TM to a TL is difficult. Think about all the TM spots compared to TL, and all the high potential candidates that get passed up. Then it's even more difficult jumping from a TL to an ETL. Based on my experience, the company much rather gamble on a new ETL fresh out of college with no work experience, than give an opportunity to a TL who has proven themselves time and time again. But think about it from this perspective-- the ETL's in role right now ultimately have MINIMAL say in which TL goes ETL because that's the decision the STL/DTL make. It's nearly impossible to break-though from hourly to salary unless you know the right people, it's mostly politics.

It's not just that you have to have a degree to promote because there's plenty of team leads that have degrees (I was one of them and I knew of plenty in the same situation). It's that Target has effectively installed a glass ceiling between team lead and ETL whereby ETL is an entry level position if you've just graduated from college and TL is the top position you can attain if you enter Target at any position lower than ETL.

Halfway right... The biggest difference is if you are a TL with a degree versus a TL with a NEW degree... If you performed well as a TL, one will get you ETL right away, the other will get you Senior TL if you are lucky :)

Halfway right... The biggest difference is if you are a TL with a degree versus a TL with a NEW degree... If you performed well as a TL, one will get you ETL right away, the other will get you Senior TL if you are lucky :)
I dunno about that, I saw plenty of newly graduate (once again, myself included) get the ETL-string-along. There's just no denying the numbers though, its either 80 or 90% of ETLs are external college grads. They're treating an effectively management position as entry level and its baffling how that's beneficial to the company given the ridiculously high turnover.

An STL told me you are considered a campus hire for the 2 years after graduation. So you could actually be a TL, finish school and be part of the 70% hire group of ETLs. The rest is considered 20% external and 10 internal.

Not so much 'young' as 'young & inexperienced'. Many of us were young when we started & ETLs were the adults in the building. I've watched the median age - along with experience & maturity - plummet in the last 3 yrs, taking pride in one's work & morale along with it.

So true. Every new etl, I am certain is going to be the one to make it, but they quickly lose their sparkle and then disappear one day....

I rarely put too much faith in new etl's until they prove they care about not just production measurements, but also about the team
So true. Every new etl, I am certain is going to be the one to make it, but they quickly lose their sparkle and then disappear one day....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back