Archived The "Vent about all the crazy shit that happened during your shift" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This lady came in and had 3 curtains on hold but wanted 4 so we took her to get a 4th and then she decided to harass employees while making them go through every curtain rod in the store, hit one in the head accidentally With one and didn't apologize, then ran over one With a cart, again not apologizing, then when one was putting a curtain rod back into the box (she made them take them all out even though you could see them in the box) she pushed the box fast and gave her a papercut again not apologizing.

THEN demanded someone help her find matching pillows to go with the new curtains and treated that employee like crap

THEN went to guest services and demanded she gets 20 percent off everything cause someone at another store somewhere gave her 20 percent off her whole purchase

THEN got mad they didn't have any large bags and demanded she gets New bags (she thought one that was a little crumpled was used) and made them put one thing in each bag and then redid their entire bagging.

Everyone was ready to slap her :mad: we were held hostage by this woman for over an hour
Wow. One thing I love about my store is if a guest gets nasty with TMs, management WILL tell them to either calm the hell down or they won't help the guest at all.

I have been lurking for a while, but I just need to vent at the insane shit going on at my store.

So we are normally a 6am truck process, going to 4am for 4th quarter. About a month ago we started having trouble coming clean on truck and backroom (actually we haven't come clean in backroom since March). To help get stuff done, our ETL-LOG started handing out overtime to anyone and everyone and started moving the truck unload earlier until we were coming in at midnight. We had some flow and BR TMs working 70+ hours per week but things just kept getting farther behind.

Our STL apparently did not know until last week that we were coming in that early and spending so much OT, because the LOG didn't feel like asking permission to do this. So when she found out, she was furious and immediately put a stop to it since it wasn't working anyways (she has since eased up and started granting OT and 12am starts for double trucks).

Our backroom is suck a mess, that you literally cannot move tubs through it due to pallets full of backstock everywhere. One of the stockrooms is completely full with vehicles all the way down every single aisle. Due to this, the backroom has apparently started burning every single batch every hour, except for the morning autofills.

Our flow TL had been looking visibly defeated and depressed every day until he finally started calling off and then went on LOA.

Fast forward to today, where we have easily 60 pallets and an ungodly amount of shopping carts full of freight leftover to be worked out and we're preparing to take a double tomorrow. We have freight literally everywhere you can imagine: on a rental trailer, crammed into receiving, on the front and back of the line, shrink wrapped and in the steel, etc.

All of this cumulated this afternoon in an unannounced visit by the GVP, in which he walked in and went straight to the backroom to see what was going on.

I will be extremely surprised is someone does not get fired over this (hopefully the LOG and not the STL).

The floor must be empty if you are that packed with freight in the back.

That was my thought as I read the post as well.

Seems like many of their problems would be solved if they could just skip a truck, purge key areas of the backroom, and kind of "start over." I'm sure there are a million reasons why that wouldn't be possible, but it doesn't sound like it would make anything any worse, at least.

I can't fathom how there were so many people working so much overtime, and the backroom is still so broken. That sounds like a nightmare...sorry you're stuck in that situation, TgtLog.

So a fellow cashier had a crazy lady...like we get some off the wall people but she was seriously nuts...had a small dog in a bag she was carrying..
Okay well then she has a winter hat she brought up to the register and asked if the fur was from a cat...
Kept the poor cashier busy for quiet a while..

Then ended the transaction (the guest not the cashier) by telling her not to eat candy canes as they cause cancer

Seems like many of their problems would be solved if they could just skip a truck, purge key areas of the backroom, and kind of "start over." I'm sure there are a million reasons why that wouldn't be possible, but it doesn't sound like it would make anything any worse, at least.

I can't fathom how there were so many people working so much overtime, and the backroom is still so broken. That sounds like a nightmare...sorry you're stuck in that situation, TgtLog.

I helped a store that sounds like his, and you need a crew to come in and just take pallet by pallet out and just push. After you have a crew find and set all the pogs that are not set. I know things are not set since so much stuff is not located so it gets shoved to back stock that backroom has nowhere to STO. Have price change just sit and scan everything that pog pulls down, and making sure that as people push they are scanning everything they push, cause I will bet they have a lot of clearance in the back, that was never set. As things set and pushed LOCU the back so you can just sto it clean. You will get it cleaned up in a week. Not exactly what we did but a basic framework.

Oh then there was the guest who tried to srgue with me the other day. Said another cashier told her that she didnt have to do anything to cartwheel, that the pos would ro anything. When i tried explaining that no it requires you to add offers but apparently i do not know how to do my job :) just smiled and said i would gladly check for items on cartwheel but no our pos system doesnt automatically scan the app and also an empty barcode is unscannable. ..

Today I found out that two instocks TM didn't know the magic trick to researching softlines and instead spent longer than they needed to bouncing from table to table, trying to follow the list. One of them still managed to make good progress and I'm hoping if she gets more shifts she could do a great job. The other one spent most her time in Men's making a map of the fixtures and tables.

I'm really hoping I get this receiving position because I'm getting tired of having to deal with this team of misfits.

If your backroom help is people who know what they're doing but are just tired of deal with this shit and non-backroom TMs who are looking to pick up extra hours but don't really have any experience back there. And that one guy who will work twelve-hour days. It was nowhere near as bad as TgtLog's situation but a few weeks back here they were talking about having to cancel a truck because the backroom was out of control. Somehow it got under control.

Update:

Nobody got fired (yet), but the DTL and GVP set some pretty high goals to get things back to normal.

The DC was asked to hold off on sending the second trailer, so we only got one on Wednesday and are now running a day behind. However, with a large team, early start, and a moderately sized truck, we were able to get a lot pushed out

In order to clean up the backroom and receiving so that people can actually move around, tons of stuff was palletized, wrapped, labeled, and thrown up in every available space of the steel (this was actually the GVP's idea).

The store as a whole is supposed to push out x amount of extra freight every day (forget how much exactly), and the backroom is now supposed to backstock 10 extra vehicles per day, in addition to coming clean on the truck.

The last part is baffling because unless we get a shitload of support help, or keep giving OT into January, it's just not going to happen. Flow coming clean is rare, and the backroom is lucky if they manage to finish backstocking the back side of the line before 11am. Our biggest problem from the beginning has been poor staffing levels. There is an insane amount of retail jobs around here (around 300 stores in 5 miles), and many of them are easier and pay more.

A team member called the lod (me) to the break room. I arrived in a panic thinking something was wrong. The team member called me up to ask how to use the keurig machine.
Sounds like a very efficient use of your time.

I'm seasonal hardlines but ended up cashiering last night for about 2.5 hours straight - came for backup but lines stayed long and I never got off. So while I'm up there, one of our AP guys (not sure of different roles, but he wears the blue shirt) comes to me to checkout. He's still wearing his uniform but he just clocked out. He first buys a $250 giftcard, and then in a second transaction he and his wife buy about $200 of misc. stuff, scan his discount card, and then pay with the gift card he just purchased. I know this isn't allowed (or isn't supposed to be) but it is something I should report? I figure an AP guy, of all people, wouldn't do it if he was told it wasn't allowed.

I'm seasonal hardlines but ended up cashiering last night for about 2.5 hours straight - came for backup but lines stayed long and I never got off. So while I'm up there, one of our AP guys (not sure of different roles, but he wears the blue shirt) comes to me to checkout. He's still wearing his uniform but he just clocked out. He first buys a $250 giftcard, and then in a second transaction he and his wife buy about $200 of misc. stuff, scan his discount card, and then pay with the gift card he just purchased. I know this isn't allowed (or isn't supposed to be) but it is something I should report? I figure an AP guy, of all people, wouldn't do it if he was told it wasn't allowed.

Did he use a debit or credit card to pay for the gift card? If so, he was circumventing the team member discount policy. A team member at my store was termed for this several years ago.

Did he use a debit or credit card to pay for the gift card? If so, he was circumventing the team member discount policy. A team member at my store was termed for this several years ago.

Why exactly is this a problem? It sounded like he didnt get a discount on the giftcard and to use your TM discount you have to have either a redcard or giftcard I thought? So he bought a giftcard (without discount) and then used it with his discount. How is this bad at all...Maybe I am just missing something though..idk..im not AP

Why exactly is this a problem? It sounded like he didnt get a discount on the giftcard and to use your TM discount you have to have either a redcard or giftcard I thought? So he bought a giftcard (without discount) and then used it with his discount. How is this bad at all...Maybe I am just missing something though..idk..im not AP
It's circumventing the rule on only using your discount with cash/Redcard if you buy the gift card first with a credit/debit card and then use the gift card as a payment method with your TM discount.

Today was a mess. It was so busy, I hardly had time to do my tasks (end caps), I kept pushing and helping guests. And our line was crazier than BF. It stretched to market and electronics was crazy. To top it off, a father and son decided to get in a fist fight with another guest (cops were called) and another guest was caught stealing. I was getting off lunch and saw a half naked guy in TSC and was like, WTF and kept walking.

Good news, I got picked to win a gift on our 12 days of Christmas giveaway. My HR told me it was only for good TMs, doubtful, I've been late 3 times (excused but still).

We met our goal (348, by 3pm)

Last edited:
I got bitched at by my piece of shit STL and a bitch sample worker. I hate Target and retail. FUCK them both.

When you work in the backroom with me, YOU NEED TO TELL ME WHEN YOU ARE COMING AND GOING. That needs to be said to my face or on the walkie talkie. You need to communicate with me on when you go on lunch or a break and when you come back. You also need to tell me when you are leaving for the day. Also, if you are working on FF for 30 minutes you need to say something on the damn walkie talkie especially when I spend 20 minutes pulling GRC2 at 4pm because it's got 50 DPCI and 300 eaches. And don't tell me to take a breath or cool down. Don't be a shitty worker and there won't be drama. I swear to God I wish I would have been wearing a body cam that day you said the n-word. I would have loved showing that to HR and getting you fired. It would have been awesome. I need to wear a body cam when I work at Target.

Last night, woman wants about 6 or 7 Bose SoundLink III speakers for $119.99 because "the sign says," although the sign says that's for the SoundLink Color speakers. GSTL says no, ETL-GE (who was LOD) says no, but will honor the price for one. Guest doesn't like that answer then says, well, Best Buy has them for $139.99 (still the wrong speaker!). LOD again tells her only one will be matched. Guest still doesn't like the answer and calls LOD a stupid loser and leaves. But, you dumb bitch, LOD is a dumb loser AND YOU STILL DON'T HAVE THE SPEAKERS. lol

If the newest schedule doesn't say anything about getting some actual training with a real receiver I am going to be sorely tempted to drive to the nearest store, grab their receiver and drag them back here to show me what the hell I'm supposed to be doing. I've been getting by with Workbench and bugging our very helpful but also very busy coworker when I need help, but I'm starting to hit a wall.

Like today, when I found out that the CO's coupons should have been mailed out Monday. I thought the envelope sitting by the computer was just a roll of envelopes for later use. Oops. And Workbench's instructions are "1. Coupons go in an envelope. 2. Here's an address and a link to UPS. 3. ??? 4. Profit." Thank God for our HR-TM, she's been seriously helpful on that and other things.

Then there's having to learn ESIM pickups earlier in the week, as the pickup guys are right there, setting up their stuff. Or finding out today that the ESIM log was last done December 18th, 2015. And don't get me started on the pallet of MIR things (I think?) sitting there. Or the pile of what looks like overdue and unfinished MIRs sitting in the system.

I'm still glad I got the position but the whole time I'm at my desk I'm just:
tKYlU5f.png

So today, it was one of the newly-promoted GSA first day and several people at the service desk were up in arms about it. I was dropping something off and they were, he's only been here 2 months, how can he be promoted already? You're not suppose to be within 90 days, I've been here longer... blah blah. And then I chime in, well, I was promoted within my 90 days. And they say, that's against policy. And I was like, well take it up with the ETL-HR & STL because I had proper interviews with them. And they all just gave me a dirty look. So, I walked away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back