Archived The "Vent about all the crazy shit that happened during your shift" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PullMonkey

Ex-Backroom Badass
Don't care if I'm the only one who will actually use this, I just need to bitch for a bit.

So for Flow, our store is a 6am, MWF store. Wednesdays usually bring in the smallest trucks, so we end up having a slightly smaller team this morning.

We had roughly 20 people to work out a 2300 piece truck.

Action started at 6.
By 8, we had just started bowling chemicals.
By 10, we were starting to make our way into C and D. Most of the team left at 10.

We finally finished around 12 or 1, but since everyone was focused on freight, backstock, pfresh, and cardboard didn't get touched.

I ended up staying until 4 trying to get the last of the backstock and cardboard done. Ended up having to leave about 5 cages left, and pfresh never got touched.

To the BR closer and our ETL-LOG, I'm sorry I'm not superman but I did what I could.

Don't care if I'm the only one who will actually use this, I just need to bitch for a bit.

So for Flow, our store is a 6am, MWF store. Wednesdays usually bring in the smallest trucks, so we end up having a slightly smaller team this morning.

Action started at 6.
By 10, we were starting to make our way into C and D. Most of the team left at 10.

We finally finished around 12 or 1, but since everyone was focused on freight, backstock, pfresh, and cardboard didn't get touched.

I ended up staying until 4 trying to get the last of the backstock and cardboard done. Ended up having to leave about 5 cages left, and pfresh never got touched.

To the BR closer and our ETL-LOG, I'm sorry I'm not superman but I did what I could.
1300 piece truck, pulls were set to take over 18hrs when they ran the report this morning...not the full flow team either. First caf hour took over two to pull them all with two waves and four people pulling. We're only an lv store...

that's just awful, when most produce only has 5 days until it expires and dairy, juice, yogurts only 2 weeks.
You're telling me :(
But, I made the decision to do cardboard first, because at least we had closing Market. They may have gotten around to it. I don't know...

that's just awful, when most produce only has 5 days until it expires and dairy, juice, yogurts only 2 weeks.
Produce/meat isn't a flow thing at my store. And if yogurt is empty and they won't get to it, I sure as heck pitch in too at least break out pallets to stock criticals. It's "my" area and letting the c&s team from flow fail is a fail for my guests, not theirs. Assuming we are talking delivery, and not autofills, which can be worked in before open most days.

Action started at 6.

Spectacular failure of the management team at this store.

Some pre-emptive venting about this week: the guy who sort of runs our FDC trucks and handles most the backstocking of it is on vacation for most this week. Apparently there's no actual plan to cover for him not being here so I'm expecting tomorrow's food truck to be lots of "oh shit what do we do?" I don't have much to do with Market/FDC push but this is really bugging me. Probably because yesterday they wanted me to cover an 8-hour shift but only scheduled me for 3 hours of it then 4 hours in a workcenter where I was going to be the only one there.

And today I suffered the crushing realization that despite my efforts my store doesn't have an instocks team, just some TMs who are sort of trained in it. This is after I spent half my shift thinking a coworker had started filling endcaps after RIGS (as we do on Mondays) only to realize way too late that he's probably just been pushing what's left from truck because I'm pretty sure he only knows how to shoot research. And that we have another TM starting for the first time on my day off and I don't know who else (if anyone) is scheduled that day. And fuck coming in on my first day off in a week.

An 1800+ piece truck that took almost 2 hours to unload. We don't have enough vehicles anymore (they're all covered in backstock from previous trucks) so we started using shopping carts on the line. The grocery autos pulled first thing this morning? Didn't get pushed until after 12pm.

Oh and nothing instocks has been done (to my knowledge) since last Monday.

An 1800+ piece truck that took almost 2 hours to unload. We don't have enough vehicles anymore (they're all covered in backstock from previous trucks) so we started using shopping carts on the line. The grocery autos pulled first thing this morning? Didn't get pushed until after 12pm.

:eek:

I'm not even going to post my crazy thing, cause nothing beats using carts on the unload. Hell I thought we were in trouble. Not

Should probably clarify that it was only for HBA from the start and stationery after its first flatbed was filled, but still. Shopping carts.

That is a good thing, until you get those trucks caught up. I know when we don't finish a truck I will take a section say chemicals and roll the tubs out and see what I can push before actually putting it to backstock. It helps fill the floor and helps backroom not have as much stuff to work. And if we shoot anything, its "Outs" only so not to screw up counts.

Today, I didn't have anything awful crazy happen. Just good things.. I met 4 dogs today, all very sweet and well behaved.. Nope not service dogs, but its warm today so I was glad no one was left in a car.

That is a good thing, until you get those trucks caught up. I know when we don't finish a truck I will take a section say chemicals and roll the tubs out and see what I can push before actually putting it to backstock. It helps fill the floor and helps backroom not have as much stuff to work. And if we shoot anything, its "Outs" only so not to screw up counts.

Today, I didn't have anything awful crazy happen. Just good things.. I met 4 dogs today, all very sweet and well behaved.. Nope not service dogs, but its warm today so I was glad no one was left in a car.
Oh yeah, I agree research shouldn't be done with how things are. But there's always drastics, PTMs, endcaps, outs like you mentioned, etc. Instead there's been staying on truck and helping backroom with little visible effect.

Could use some more dogs at my store. Or maybe cats. Want to set some kitties loose in TMSC and see what happens.

This is my first post, I've lurked these forums for a couple of months and registered just to complain about today's P/Fresh order.

I've been working in flow for 23 months and I've been working the P/Fresh orders for about 20 months. Our store gets an order 6 days a week and it alternates between Produce, Meat and Dairy one day, and Frozen the other day. Today was it was Dairy, Meat and Produce, over 500pc, and it arrived when I was going to lunch at 8:35AM. My Flow TL was off today and our BR TL was covering. My co captain was off and I had to unload it but the dock door was locked.

The driver backed up in the first dock, the one cluttered with vendor pallets. I had to run to GS to get the Receiving key, wait for the TPS to waddle over to unlock the keys and then run back to Receiving. I cut the seal, opened the truck door, and pulled at the chain for the dock plate and lo and behold the driver backed in too far for the dock plate to go up. I told him to move up and he misunderstood me and moved to the next dock, making the unload easier, but almost hitting the empty GM truck.
By the time I started unloading it was 8:50. Whoever stayed from my team was on lunch. I had 6 pallets, the BR opener stored them in the coolers as I unloaded. I hit meal compliance at 9:00. BR TL told me to submit a punch correction for a meal from 8:30 to 9:01, and she would approve it. The driver was rude and complained about his previous stop, BR TL filed a trailer feedback form after I got the driver's name. I didn't get to have lunch til 9:12.

By the time I got back from lunch a fellow TM was breaking the order down on the line. I had a total of 6 TMs, all near OT to help. I had to leave at 11:30 because I hit 40 hours and the push wasn't complete. BR TL left at 10, when the ETL HL relieved her as LOD. I left and the CTL and PA were pushing produce.

TL;DR: I had a bad day in P/Fresh.

This is my first post, I've lurked these forums for a couple of months and registered just to complain about today's P/Fresh order.

I've been working in flow for 23 months and I've been working the P/Fresh orders for about 20 months. Our store gets an order 6 days a week and it alternates between Produce, Meat and Dairy one day, and Frozen the other day. Today was it was Dairy, Meat and Produce, over 500pc, and it arrived when I was going to lunch at 8:35AM. My Flow TL was off today and our BR TL was covering. My co captain was off and I had to unload it but the dock door was locked.

The driver backed up in the first dock, the one cluttered with vendor pallets. I had to run to GS to get the Receiving key, wait for the TPS to waddle over to unlock the keys and then run back to Receiving. I cut the seal, opened the truck door, and pulled at the chain for the dock plate and lo and behold the driver backed in too far for the dock plate to go up. I told him to move up and he misunderstood me and moved to the next dock, making the unload easier, but almost hitting the empty GM truck.
By the time I started unloading it was 8:50. Whoever stayed from my team was on lunch. I had 6 pallets, the BR opener stored them in the coolers as I unloaded. I hit meal compliance at 9:00. BR TL told me to submit a punch correction for a meal from 8:30 to 9:01, and she would approve it. The driver was rude and complained about his previous stop, BR TL filed a trailer feedback form after I got the driver's name. I didn't get to have lunch til 9:12.

By the time I got back from lunch a fellow TM was breaking the order down on the line. I had a total of 6 TMs, all near OT to help. I had to leave at 11:30 because I hit 40 hours and the push wasn't complete. BR TL left at 10, when the ETL HL relieved her as LOD. I left and the CTL and PA were pushing produce.

TL;DR: I had a bad day in P/Fresh.
Sounds like a normal delivery day for me. Although we get all areas 4 days a week today 8 pallets and 4 tms to push it.

I just want to vent about closing shifts lately. To start off I am pharmacy backup trained and work in pfresh and during the night I am literally the only person who can backup pharmacy. The first close after I was officially trained I was in pharmacy for literally 2 hours of my shift throughout the night backing up. It hasnt gotten as bad since then but usually I have to backup 3-4 times throughout the night and sometimes I can be back there for 20-30 minutes straight.

Between the above and our schedule being crap for salesfloor its been stressful. The last 2 weeks I have looked at the schedule when I come in and its Hardlines 1 shift from 6-10 and the softlines has 3 people from 6-2:30 and then sometimes another from 8-4:30 or so and then a closer 6-10. Anyone else find it rediculous how we have crap for coverage from basically 2:30-6? The time period we seems to be super busy, ya lets NOT schedule anyone on the floor. Everytime I close its just chaotic running to get call boxes, helping guests in all areas of the store since while in Market im usually the only person they can find.

Now when I close it seems like its backup cashier, backup pharmacy, helping guests all over the store mostly outside of my market workcenter both on the phone, call boxes and people coming up to me, and then on C+S push days helping with the push and backstock for 3-4 hours. And they wonder why the store and market look like crap...I WONDER

I dont even bother trying to do any cleaning tasks anymore. There is literally no time. I would love to be able to but with how tight the schedule is there is no way we can get cleaning done on top of everything else

Backup Cashier at front and pharmacy
Working huddles that go 30 min
Opener forced to do Mcclane Candy by themselves on Friday. Usually a full flatbed and another half flatbed
Reshop
Pushing out Clearance for both Dry and cooler sections
Basically being absorbed into the C+S team and process 3 nights a week from 3:30-7. Then if they leave and dont finish backstocking dealing with backstock the following morning.
Backstocking morning and evening pulls
Unloading the truck and we are usually first stop. If anyone else is first stop you know how shitty it is. I would be in heaven if we were last stop. Oh its just our pallets in there, cool, 5 min later done.

And totally forgot to mention our Pfresh is on the opposite side of the store from where our backroom coolers are AND we have to go through Seasonal and Mini Seasonal to get to Market..Thats sure fun!

Last edited:
Unloading the truck and we are usually first stop. If anyone else is first stop you know how shitty it is. I would be in heaven if we were last stop. Oh its just our pallets in there, cool, 5 min later done.

And totally forgot to mention our Pfresh is on the opposite side of the store from where our backroom coolers are AND we have to go through Seasonal and Mini Seasonal to get to Market..Thats sure fun!

After what you said, I realize I have it pretty easy lately, we're usually one of the last stops, but even then the FDC truck usually arrives around 6am, while I start at 4am. The coolers and freezer are all near P/Fresh but lately sharing our backroom with ESFS I have to move vehicles and pallets just to get anything in and out of Produce and Meat. I've been doing the unloads long enough to get the orders where I've had to move every pallet just to get to ours. I'm also the only TM as far as I know to tip over a large dairy pallet, and it was for the next stop. :oops:

My shift today was the typical and normal Sunday. It was busy as Hell, there was an FDC truck, and I was pretty much pulling CAF batches nonstop(I'm not hijacking this plane, I'm trying to save it). So let's begin. I come in at noon to start on the always fun and large 12pm CAF batches. For some strange, I have been told forever that I get to always pull the grocery side of the backroom when I'm working with another backroom team member. I think it's bullshit because the grocery side always pulls more than the hardlines side. The only day it does not is Black Friday. There should be hourly alternations or maybe 2 hour alternations. I shouldn't be stuck with the shitty side of the backroom. I have to deal with deli, produce, bakery, meat and grocery team members and vendors being in my way.
Okay so back to the clusterfuck. I pull the batches but I don't even put the health and beauty shit on the tub because it's backstock. To be honest, I don't think I put any health and beauty stuff that I pulled today on a tub. No point because lazy ass grocery team members won't work it. Apparently, it's too hard for them to walk 10 to 15 feet across from the grocery aisles to the health and beauty aisles.

So we barely finished the 12pm CAF batches before 1pm. I'm working with a new bubba. This was his 1st full weekend in the backroom with me and his speed hasn't improved. He was horribly trained by the Monday thru Fridayer backroom person. The person didn't even show him how to pull FF, use M-Delete, or what the fillgroups are and where they are located in the backroom. Just terrible but oh well. I'm used to it. I was carrying him the entire day. I didn't take my lunch until about 551pm. Couldn't squeeze a break in.
After the 12pm CAF batches, I had to get in the freezer and move pallets so the grocery team members wouldn't fuck up the freezer when the FDC truck arrived. I did the same thing in the dairy cooler after the 1pm CAF batches. When I have to do that shit, I complain tremendously about it and make it known that FDC is a lost cause and that the whole process is a joke and needs to be changed. I don't care if bosses don't like what I'm saying. FDC should not be arriving at 3pm while I'm pulling stuff off the shelves. That shit should be coming at 9pm, 10pm, or midnight. FDC and flow should happen when the store is closed or when it's about to close.
I purposely put the vendor ice scream at the front of the freezer by the wall because I know that dumbass vendor would come and make a mess like he always did. He was late today. The little shit usually comes in at 3pm but today it was 5pm. On FDC days, the freezer batch is the first CAF batch I pull every hour. I was able to pull the freezer batch at 5pm before he got there.
I also predicted something that he would do. I was pulling price change and there were some stowaways in GRC2 and HBO2 so I pulled those first and I saw the empty pallet and pallet jack that the stupid ice scream vendor used so I jacked his shit cause I thought he was gone. I pull the stuff and take the pallet to receiving. I parked it by some soda vendors because I was going to come back to it. I went ahead and moved the pumpkin pallets that were blocking the crowns. While I was doing that, that ice scream vendor is back there and he takes that pallet jack, lol. I stared him down and laughed very loudly. He didn't see me but I kept laughing. I knew as soon as I saw him that he was gonna take that pallet jack. So predictable.

Another funny thing that happen is when I'm heading to the time clock in the backroom to punch out for lunch, I tell my helper bubba "hey don't worry about the EXFs and POGs in the PDA, just backstock and clean up because there's no one to work EXFs and POGs right now". And he agrees so I'm thinking "okay, he's gonna backstock and clean up". Nope. Instead he pulled two big ass softlines EXFs and most of the shit that he pulled didn't go out because the LOD worked it. Just sad.

But yeah that's pretty much a Sunday for me. Oh I also loved how the meat team member backstocked a ton of case stock of raw meat and did not put any barcode stickers on the boxes so I had to open up probably a dozen full boxes of meat. Good times.

Haha! Inventory was 3 weeks ago and the dump that I'm at still hasn't recovered from it. The whole backroom at my store has just turned into a turd. We never have everything backstocked. It's just not possible. The freezers and dairy cooler never get completely back stocked. Just always behind. I don't really care that much anymore. I'm not even half assing it on CAF batches. I'm probably 1/3 assing it. When I pull the freezer and dairy shit, I just throw the crap on any tub I can. Sometimes when I'm in the freezer, I throw the stuff I pull up against the wall or just throw it on the ground. I don't care. It's pointless. No one's gonna work it anyway.

Eternal Backstock

Rated R

Starring: Nicholas Cage, Wesley Snipes, Rutger Hauer, and Kate Bosworth

First time I'm able to actually research in almost three weeks and what happens? Somebody wrote the dumbest fucking instocks schedule for today. Here's how it goes:
-I'm 10a-2p, not that I start on time because of truck.
-Next up from 11a-4:30p is the cosmetics TM who researches cosmetics maybe once a week? No other instocks experience far as I know.
-Then from 1a-2:30p is the newest instocks TM who has actually gotten to do instocks two or three times, way back before the backroom collapsed two weeks ago.

Speaking of which, the only reason the backroom's back under control? They had to bring in another store's backroom to do the job. Again.

Three lists, 112 items each. It takes me pretty much most my shift to get through my list because its been forever since I researched and I want to get a good, hard scan in. When I left at 2 there were 160+ left. I don't want to think about the research batches that are getting left for backroom day to deal with. Assuming they didn't pull the last person off to do some other bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back