Archived The "Vent about all the crazy shit that happened during your shift" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came back from a three day weekend and what do I discover?
  • The TM I thought was scheduled to cover for me traded shifts with somebody else.
  • Neither of them knew how to check in vendors with the new app, as told to me by the second TM, who apparently called everyone but me for help.
  • The only thing this person did was check in vendors and start (but not finish) a credit. No ESIM, no recalls, no taking care of the mail. They didn't even fill out the store stamps correctly.
  • A few vehicles of salvage just scattered around the area. Most of it's furniture thank God. Some of it's broken stuff that belongs in the compactor. Like the bag of syrup marked "Donate."
  • AP getting on my ass about MIRs and vendor credits that he already talked to me about last week.
  • A GSA trying to pawn off to me some gift cards that the register printed off slips saying "Give to the GSTL," with instructions as to what the GSTL is supposed to do with them.

Then when I went on break, FedEx and a freight truck showed up to make deliveries and a the TM who had the misfortune of answering the door almost had a moment trying to get somebody, anybody who knew what they were doing to come back and do whatever it is receivers do.

So now I have to add "Go back to the ETL-HR and tell her that no matter what anybody else in this store tells her about receiving-trained TMs in this store, disregard that and find me an actual fucking backup I can trust to be scheduled and stay scheduled when I take time off."

Even better yet, I have another day off coming up and if I'm reading the schedule right, they haven't scheduled anybody for receiving that day. I'm debating if I want to let somebody know or just grab some Xanax and popcorn for when I get back.

I am dreading my first week vacation as a Signing TM, not so much the hangover after the Margarita or 5 I will have on the beach, but more so the Margarita or 5 I will need while on the clock for when I get back.

I find the best time to go on vacation is the 2 to 4 weeks before Christmas, because after black friday there isn't really any signing to do and you just join flow/salesfloor

Sales goal $236,000 three cashiers until 2pm.. Can you say back cashiers were doing nothing else. And the electronics opener called out.

Lazy ETL who wrote that cashier schedule bitching on the radio call boxes were going to third request!

"ETL everyone in the store save the operator is on a check lane, you want someone to get the call boxes you need jump on a lane, the lines are backed up to active wear!"

Call boxes are still going third request but the radio silence is deafening.

Some kid (somewhere between 16-23yo, but he seemed very young) tried to return a pokemon game yesterday that I'm pretty sure he bought earlier in the day- as soon as the GSA saw him she let out an exasperated "Oh Lord."

--kid looked exactly like Shia Lebeouf in Holes, baseball hat and all, but talked like a miniature Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons--

Kid: "I would like to return this. I'm just highly unsatisfied with the product"
GSA: Okay, what was wrong with it?
Kid: *nervous/awkward* nothing. I'm just extremely unsatisfied
GSA: Ok...well, we can't really do returns on opened video games if we don't know what's wrong with them, so to help me out could you tell me what was wrong with it?
Kid: I was just EXTREMELY unsatisfied with the product.

I had to get back to work before I could see how it resolved, but it was just so weird. He almost seemed personally offended because he hated the game or something. I don't know...hard to tell if he was trying to scam or if he was genuinely upset with the game...but based on his overall demeanor I think he probably bought the game, thought it'd be cool, and then hated it for some reason only psycho-hardcore-fans of pokemon could understand and it basically became a life or death matter for him.

I'v been with Spot for a long time but I can honestly say I've never seen our store so ill prepared for the holidays. We have not hired enough people and the ones we have are not trained. Our STL has just checked out. He does not have a leadership team he can depend on as he's had in the past. I've read here about some of the sorry excuses some stores get for ETLs but I've been lucky, UNTIL NOW! If I wrote about everything you would all think I was exaggerating, it's that bad! I find myself repeating the mantra, "What a ridiculous way to try to run a company!" I am just dismayed.

The ETL-LOG spent the last two days cleaning up and rearranging receiving. Which I should probably be a little bit grateful for. Its way, way cleaner than it's been in ages back there. The problem is, I didn't have any real say in what changed. He asked for my input but ignored or overruled most of it. Now my workflow's all fucked up and I spent part of today trying to not have an anxiety attack because of too much change in too short of a time.

The ETL-LOG spent the last two days cleaning up and rearranging receiving. Which I should probably be a little bit grateful for. Its way, way cleaner than it's been in ages back there. The problem is, I didn't have any real say in what changed. He asked for my input but ignored or overruled most of it. Now my workflow's all fucked up and I spent part of today trying to not have an anxiety attack because of too much change in too short of a time.

Be thankful it wasn't done over the weekend. You may have had a stroke first thing Monday morning, lol. I feel for you

Be thankful it wasn't done over the weekend. You may have had a stroke first thing Monday morning, lol. I feel for you
I'd almost prefer the sudden shock to spending an uncomfortable amount of time trying to ignore a madman invading my personal space while I'm trying to work.

We're talking about somebody who decided using a milk pallet for anything other than "put outside with the other milk pallets" was a good idea. Even after I pointed out that it's a piece of wood that's probably been soaking in milk for who knows how long. But nope, he can't smell anything on it so let's store beer on it!

Today in numbers:

2 trucks
1200 pieces of backstock
18 hour autofills
~400 SFS orders by noon
88 hours of logistics call offs (FF, BR, and Flow)
14 checklanes open with lines backed up to softlines most of the day
$150k in sales by 4pm

It was a long day...

Today in numbers:

2 trucks
1200 pieces of backstock
18 hour autofills
~400 SFS orders by noon
88 hours of logistics call offs (FF, BR, and Flow)
14 checklanes open with lines backed up to softlines most of the day
$150k in sales by 4pm

It was a long day...

I feel ya. $305K sales goal, we were at $200K by the time I left at 2pm.. It was crazy. One upside was that GSTL was coaching any cashier who hit the additional cashier button. Cause all regular check lanes were open. Cause the lines were backed up like crazy. At least the LOD agreed to my plan of hitting toys first thing getting it pulled and pushed by open. And I bought my backroom dude who pulled my crazy batches his coffee cause I just about killed him.

So how do pull 5 hours in three o'clock CAFs in 2 hours, plus Flex and get-for-guest?
Partner with LOD who should either send someone to help you pull or have a TM usually TL in our store, grab the flexes. In this case both should be happening if there is only 1 in the backroom.

Looks like we've just inherited "regulars" that no store would really want to inherit.

There's this family that I've seen probably 3 or 4 times in the last few weeks, and every single time their ~3yo son is screaming his head off for the entire trip. Like...you can legitimately hear him across the store (PFresh, not Super) The first time I noticed them I actually came out from the backroom to track him down, because I could hear the screams all the way in the back and figured something terrible must've happened.

After realizing he was fine it was kind of funny for the first 5-10min, then incredibly annoying, but at this point it's like...something's gotta be wrong with this kid. His parents don't bat an eye- it's as if they don't even notice. And he's wailing totally incoherently (although they're foreign, so I wouldn't have a clue what he was babbling about even if he wasn't crying)

The front of his shirt is often soaked from the tears. It's so disturbing. They don't seem abusive, so I feel like there's really nothing for me to do. It'd be one thing if I saw them slap him, or even yell at him or something- I'd call AP. I don't know...I try not to think about it, because it's just so upsetting- what could possibly make a kid wail non-stop :(

(side note: I wouldn't call AP just because a parent yelled at their kid (although I would hover for a while and make sure things were ok)- but this is one of those situations where I'd look for any reason to get someone else involved, just to see if everything is ok)

There's this family that I've seen probably 3 or 4 times in the last few weeks, and every single time their ~3yo son is screaming his head off for the entire trip. Like...you can legitimately hear him across the store (PFresh, not Super) The first time I noticed them I actually came out from the backroom to track him down, because I could hear the screams all the way in the back and figured something terrible must've happened.
Kid could be mentally disabled or autistic.
Lots of kids on the spectrum have sensory disorders: bright lights (everywhere), lots of people talking at once, overhead music/announcements, smells from soaps/perfumes = sensory overload.

Spent too long in below freezing temperatures yesterday digging through snow for soda shelves and pallets and dragging stacks of pallets and a bale through snow and ice. So glad I had some help on that but the whole thing was ridiculous. Decided I'm done with storing anything outside unless it absolutely will not fit inside. Trying to ignore the flow TL trying to get me to send extra sweeps or put pallets back outside because they're taking up so much space. It's one stack of pallets. One.

Paychecks didn't get delivered on Thursday. The UPS delivery happened while I was on lunch so nobody who knew what they were doing was around to ask the driver about it. They arrived today but I'm so glad I have direct deposit.

Today's unload was seriously delayed after the driver first got his key stuck in the pin lock, then got his truck stuck trying to move the old trailer. I think we finished just before the lights came on.
Constant, increasingly insistent calls for backup from the front end. Things were starting to get nasty over the radio with a TL promising to hunt down anybody left in the store who wasn't responding.

And finally, can you spot what's wrong with this picture?

Last edited:
Constant, increasingly insistent calls for backup from the front end.
That's all my store seems to have been the last week. Not to mention we were seriously not prepared for half the state to come into the store today, so we had calls for backup, long ass lines and bitchy, rude guests all day. Ugh.

Spent too long in below freezing temperatures yesterday digging through snow for soda shelves and pallets and dragging stacks of pallets and a bale through snow and ice. So glad I had some help on that but the whole thing was ridiculous. Decided I'm done with storing anything outside unless it absolutely will not fit inside. Trying to ignore the flow TL trying to get me to send extra sweeps or put pallets back outside because they're taking up so much space. It's one stack of pallets. One.

Paychecks didn't get delivered on Thursday. The UPS delivery happened while I was on lunch so nobody who knew what they were doing was around to ask the driver about it. They arrived today but I'm so glad I have direct deposit.

Today's unload was seriously delayed after the driver first got his key stuck in the pin lock, then got his truck stuck trying to move the old trailer. I think we finished just before the lights came on.
Constant, increasingly insistent calls for backup from the front end. Things were starting to get nasty over the radio with a TL promising to hunt down anybody left in the store who wasn't responding.

And finally, can you spot what's wrong with this picture?

There is QMOS/FOOD in the ESIM bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back