Archived There needs to be a company wide strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been going on for the the last 15 years.

The shopping habits of the public have changed to automatic service. They order online, and either pick it up or have it delivered.

The board for over the last 15 years wants to get in and make some newsworthy changes. Pass/Fail they don't care because they get paid millions. Then get out and go work for another company.

Trade jobs are growing and becoming higher in demand. You can now get corporate jobs without having a degree in that field.

Don't settle for Target...just get the hell out of retail.

For some people retail is the most they can do, what about them?

A lot of this is an ASANTS thing. The leadership at my store definitely isn't perfect, but from what I've gathered on this site, it's better than average. (And the recent transfer of an awful ETL and the upcoming transfer of a bad TL will help too.) I think practically all of us are at least skeptical about modernization, but we're still trying because what other choice do we have. And please, let's keep in mind that we're talking retail here - an industry historically low-paying with high turnover. Target is not unusual in that regard. If you want to make more money and/or have more regular hours, you really need to look elsewhere.
As to unsafe practices and terminating TMs because of ADA non-compliance issues, those have serious legal ramifications and there are avenues (OSHA, state labor boards) available for TMs to take in addition to reporting it to the hotline.

In my district it has been 100% been a directive from the BPs to performance disabled people and older TMs and not make reasonable accommodations. They know what they are doing, Sure I agree it ASANTS but I can’t imagine they are coming up with this on their own. The people that are affected by this don’t always have the resources to know what’s happening is even illegal.

Last edited:
You’re assuming that every single store, in a company with almost 1900 stores is exactly the same at this moment. I find it very hard to believe that anyone working at corporate would being sending down a message to the stores that they need to “performance people out”. I find it very hard to believe that all stores are incapable of finding reasonable accommodations for team members with disabilities (I know for a fact my store has). If these things are really happening, I’m curious as to why none of it has been reported to the integrity line, or through any of the ethics channels that were clearly talked about in the ethics training that everyone was required to take. There is literally an entire Corporate Compliance and Ethics team for the company. If you think that Target doesn’t care, then I don’t know how to help you because you’re just going to think that no matter what. If stores are not providing reasonable accommodations, then report it through any of the ethics channels that have been provided. I think we are vastly underestimating how serious ethics actually is to this company. We are taking our personal experiences at our stores, but not thinking that there are other stores that actually do take things seriously. Ethical conduct is important to any self-respecting company that wants to continue doing business. I cannot possibly imagine that Brian Cornell is sitting in his office and saying “I’m going to do everything I can to make sure this company fails”. Really? Is that what we are thinking? They would not do anything that could jeopardize earnings, or the future of the company. They also have stakeholders to think about too, so there is a lot riding on them making decisions that are ethical.

Team members report things all the time, maybe people have given up because nothing changes. Have you ever been on an integrity call? It’s a joke, and this companies ethics are a joke.

It's dangerous to generalize from individual stories, because perceptions about what's happening vary.

For example, we still have disabled people working and being accommodated. Hours vary depending on the store sales. Workers still are being accommodated for schedules.

So the notion that Target has some strategy to harm people is goofy.

Retail jobs ARE changing, along with consumer expectations, so of course how we work will change.

Lighten up. Target isn't evil. It's trying to survive Amazon.

You will NEVER convince me that district and group level leaders are somehow conspiring to performance older TM and TM with disabilities out of the stores. IN FACT, I can tell you right now that some of the people doing the best work, are also some of our older TMs. Don’t sit there and tell me that you honestly believe some of the things you are saying, because it is absolutely ridiculous and anyone with a shred of common sense would not stand by that either. It is insane and dangerous to make these sorts of statements, and it sets a precedence that NO ONE in this company will listen, and work with you to resolve any concerns you have. Any leader who wants to regard themselves as such, will take the time to hear your concerns and at the very least make an effort to reach out to someone who can help. If the leaders are not willing to listen, then they simply should not be in the position they are in. Being a good leader is not always about metrics. The best leaders can meet their goals, and create a welcoming culture for their team at the same time. This is not an all or nothing situation.

When it becomes an issue that is brought to the ethics team, the store has failed. Leadership has failed. A situation should never need to be taken to that level, if the store puts enough emphasis on business conduct that is ethical, and has fostered a culture of inclusivity, then it should never even come up. The store would have handled the situation on their own, maybe only partnering with the HRBP, depending on the issue. I was recently reassigned to closing team lead. Before that I was the Starbucks team lead, and when I took that over it was a disaster. The leader had zero standards, there was no follow up when things were incomplete, and the team was just burnt out trying to deal with it. I lost almost the entire team, and went through several rounds of hiring before I finally found my footing and gained the respect of the current team. For me, it is extremely important to earn the respect of my team. When your team respects you and can get behind what you are trying to accomplish, that’s when you start to see your metrics improve. Now, I have to do it all over again with a whole other team. I am way out of my comfort zone here and now. But I am optimistic because I have seen success with how I conduct myself and how I own my business.

I can only speak of experience in my own store and other targets where friends work. I actually made a post about the unethical things i personally witnessed. Some disabled people from my area are going to the eeoc and other things. My issues stem from the group director on down. And terrible store leadership. The hotline and other ethics reporting has done nothing.

Yes, and no one here is trying to say that those things NEVER happen. My issue with this thread is that things are being said that make it seem like the whole entire company is somehow trying to get rid of people they think are worthless to their cause. I have met my group director exactly one time. As a leader I can tell you right now that not once have the words “performance out older team members or disabled team members” ever been uttered in my building. And you can choose not to believe that statement because I’m a “big bad team lead” who is only concerned with myself, and doesn’t care about his team at all. And if those words are ever uttered in my building, I would feel a moral obligation to stand up to them and tell them it isn’t happening. And failing that, I would quit. In fact that is the only way I would quit working here, because I could not stand by and watch that sort of thing happen at my store.

Last edited:
In my district it has been 100% been a directive from the BPs to performance disabled people and older TMs and not make reasonable accommodations. They know what they are doing, Sure I agree it ASANTS but I can’t imagine they are coming up with this on their own. The people that are affected by this don’t always have the resources to know what’s happening is even illegal.
That, in particular, really upsets me to see. We have a few older TMs, in their 60s for sure, who got stuck in areas where slightly heavier things have to be backstocked up higher. Big boxes of paper, baby wipes, etc. Not the heaviest things we have of course, but still difficult for someone who isn't physically capable of lifting or hauling them up ladders anymore. They are very hard workers and do great in their areas, but they were all told at review time that they can't stay in their areas because they can't lift that stuff. It seems utterly ridiculous. Our TL wants to accommodate them and either help with that himself or grab another TM and have them do that part but the ETL said no. STL seemed sympathetic but their hands are tied, apparently.

Yes, and no one here is trying to say that those things NEVER happen. My issue with this thread is that things are being said that make it seem like the whole entire company is somehow trying to get rid of people they think are worthless to their cause. I have met my group director exactly one time. As a leader I can tell you right now that not once have the words “performance out older team members or disabled team members” ever been uttered in my building. If that truly were the case, I would feel a moral obligation to stand up to them and tell them it isn’t happening. And failing that, I would quit. In fact that is the only way I would quit working here, because I could not stand by and watch that sort of thing happen at my store.

100% I believe you that you never heard those words, but people have.

You’re store can be awesome but it may be an outlier. The amount of examples of unethical and illegal behavior talked about on this board alone makes it appear not to be an isolated store.

100% I believe you that you never heard those words, but people have.

You’re store can be awesome but it may be an outlier. The amount of examples of unethical and illegal behavior talked about on this board alone makes it appear not to be an isolated store.
What so maybe there are three or four stores being talked about here. We are honestly going to sit here and say that because of that, automatically it’s happening at a majority of stores?! Even if it was 10 stores, that’s a tiny fraction of 1800+ stores in the chain. And I’ll state it again, at max only 6-7% of the workforce is even on this site! And it’s a public site, not like it’s hidden from the world. Anyone can come on here, view anything, and create an account to say whatever they want just to get people in a frenzy. Please do not tell me that we just assume that because of a few instances, all of a sudden that somehow makes all business conducted unethical. I call bull on that, and you all know it.

I agree there needs to be some organized protest, but the odds of getting a significant work stoppage is unlikely. I think social media is our best hope, and hopefully there’s some boycott by the general public.

Reactions: Fyi
I’m not trying to go after anyone here, and I also will not say that I am perfect. There are always things I can improve on. But statements like the ones being made here, hurt me and every other leader who actually care and want their teams to be successful. We lose all credibility when we get lumped together like that. I am truly sorry for anyone that has to put up with leadership that is unwilling to make an effort. I understand that there is a lot of pain being felt by you, and I cannot even begin to fathom that. No one should have to deal with that, and so I would just like to apologize for that. Obviously there must have been some extreme situations which have now caused people to feel so strongly about this. Which unfortunately makes what I am saying probably pointless to most of you, but nonetheless, I feel an obligation to say it. When it comes to sending a message to corporate like that though, in the end I only see it hurting us more than helping us. People can boycott us, sales will obviously suffer, and as a result we all lose our jobs then. To me, that seems like an extreme that maybe helps the few, but hurts the masses.

I’m not trying to go after anyone here, and I also will not say that I am perfect. There are always things I can improve on. But statements like the ones being made here, hurt me and every other leader who actually care and want their teams to be successful. We lose all credibility when we get lumped together like that. I am truly sorry for anyone that has to put up with leadership that is unwilling to make an effort. I understand that there is a lot of pain being felt by you, and I cannot even begin to fathom that. No one should have to deal with that, and so I would just like to apologize for that. Obviously there must have been some extreme situations which have now caused people to feel so strongly about this. Which unfortunately makes what I am saying probably pointless to most of you, but nonetheless, I feel an obligation to say it. When it comes to sending a message to corporate like that though, in the end I only see it hurting us more than helping us. People can boycott us, sales will obviously suffer, and as a result we all lose our jobs then. To me, that seems like an extreme that maybe helps the few, but hurts the masses.

I don’t think people in the many threads are even talking about TLs for the most part.

This is an etl and up problem. Most TLs aren’t the problem and they are being treated as poorly as TMs in most cases with all the unrealistic demands.

When I first read this thread, I’ll admit I got real upset with what was said. @Fyi I got way too heated, and probably a little blinded by my own anger with what you said. After going through this though, I can understand that there is surely many things that have built up to you feeling this way. I also tend to take things a little personally, and when someone says things like that, I start to worry about my team and how they are feeling. Despite the fact that I like to keep communication open with my team, I know that they don’t always tell me everything because there are plenty of things that I just swallow and keep my mouth shut about. And while I may not personally agree with your strategy, that doesn’t mean I want to discredit it. Everyone is entitled to feel angry and upset about things. I just prefer to handle things in a more low key way, but again, everyone has their own ways of dealing with these things.

That, in particular, really upsets me to see. We have a few older TMs, in their 60s for sure, who got stuck in areas where slightly heavier things have to be backstocked up higher. Big boxes of paper, baby wipes, etc. Not the heaviest things we have of course, but still difficult for someone who isn't physically capable of lifting or hauling them up ladders anymore. They are very hard workers and do great in their areas, but they were all told at review time that they can't stay in their areas because they can't lift that stuff. It seems utterly ridiculous. Our TL wants to accommodate them and either help with that himself or grab another TM and have them do that part but the ETL said no. STL seemed sympathetic but their hands are tied, apparently.
Paper, plastics, furniture, diapers, and chemicals have all been given to 50+ years old tms at our store. Pull, stock, backstock.... too bad you old, man.

There won't be a strike. Period. Target won't tolerate it. This has been unofficial policy since Target's founding in 1962. It's not going to change. If you want to get media publicity to expose your complaints, it's not likely to help your own employment status with Target or with a future employer. Sad to say this but Einstein's theory is worth contemplating, "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction".

Hey, hardlines. We want you to focus on guests, so go to the backroom and blackstock your own shit.... but focus on guests....

.... If these things are really happening, I’m curious as to why none of it has been reported to the integrity line, or through any of the ethics channels that were clearly talked about in the ethics training that everyone was required to take. There is literally an entire Corporate Compliance and Ethics team for the company.
Many rank and file TMs are afraid of contacting the integrity line. I am among them. There are too many stories, not just at target but at other companies, where an "anonymous" complainer gets outed and either fired on-the-spot or performanced-out over a short period of time. I've personally met people who worked at other companies whose ethics complaints led to their own job loss, this isn't just an issue with target. I think Target as a company sets high goals for ethical business conduct. But it's a huge company. Store-level HR decisions might arguably be described as "individual job performance" decisions rather than ethics issues. It may not be fair, but much of life isn't fair and our competitors can be very cut-throat as well in order to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back