Archived There needs to be a company wide strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
BNLqNqq.jpg

I think our unethical managers should be removed. A strike/walkout/lawsuit is highly unlikely. However, these piece of shit managers CAN be dealt with. Life isn't fair but people should be able to work without fear, intimidation and harassment. Corporate needs to address it accordingly.

I think that the company is looking at the ADA very hard right now.

I know there are stores where disabled individuals are being given far more than the ADA requires, and the company is trying to be more in line with the legal minimum.

Is that wrong? I don’t really know. I don’t think it is particularly fair to pay someone who can do everything the same wage as someone who can only dust and do reshop. I also don’t think it is right to performance out someone you hired knowing full well that their abilities are limited. And it is certainly discrimination to pay the disabled person less in the same job title, as it would be to create a special job title for disabled people.

You mean that thing they just had us sign at my store? I have no clue what was in that training.
Yeah..... ethics actually are important to Target, don't get me wrong on that. The real issue when a large company combines a huge change in the workloads people are supposed to do in their existing jobs, plus a sharp reduction in hours available to actually do the work. Something has to give. Ever heard the axiom, "if it ain't broke, break it!"

I think that the company is looking at the ADA very hard right now.

I know there are stores where disabled individuals are being given far more than the ADA requires, and the company is trying to be more in line with the legal minimum.

Is that wrong? I don’t really know. I don’t think it is particularly fair to pay someone who can do everything the same wage as someone who can only dust and do reshop. I also don’t think it is right to performance out someone you hired knowing full well that their abilities are limited. And it is certainly discrimination to pay the disabled person less in the same job title, as it would be to create a special job title for disabled people.
Many disabled (physical or mental disability, including those related to age or injury) employees earn a subminimum wage. It is legal. I don't know for a fact that Target pays subminimum wages, but it is not unusual at all. Theoretically, Target could pay all employees under the age of 20 the youth minimum wage of $4.25/hour for their first 90 days.

I just want to state no ones saying a multiple day strike, just a walkout on one particular day to get some media attention, google has done it, uber did it last week why can’t we?

It would at the minimum send a message to corporate.

You can't strike as you aren't unionized. You CAN picket. Target CAN fire you for not showing up for work. Realize that most folks in retail are a dime-a-dozen, and there are many people out there who will take your job in a hot minute.

So go ahead an picket. Target will say everybody simply didn't show up. Bye bye.

You want to organize, fine. But you have to go about it the right way and the company will fight you tooth and nail the entire time.

By the way, this is coming from a steward for a union.

Yeah..... ethics actually are important to Target, don't get me wrong on that. The real issue when a large company combines a huge change in the workloads people are supposed to do in their existing jobs, plus a sharp reduction in hours available to actually do the work. Something has to give. Ever heard the axiom, "if it ain't broke, break it!"

I'm not so sure. It would be super easy for them to have designed that ethics training in such a way that team members had to log in and take the training with that result saved and anyone who hadn't taken it being flagged.

Instead, they had a system where apparently the store HR just says everyone completed it, and maybe have to back it up with a sign-up sheet. That allows stores like mine to just put the sign up sheet at TSC and have everyone sign it never to be seen again.

You can't strike as you aren't unionized. You CAN picket. Target CAN fire you for not showing up for work. Realize that most folks in retail are a dime-a-dozen, and there are many people out there who will take your job in a hot minute.

So go ahead an picket. Target will say everybody simply didn't show up. Bye bye.

You want to organize, fine. But you have to go about it the right way and the company will fight you tooth and nail the entire time.

By the way, this is coming from a steward for a union.

If everyone did a multiple hour walkout on one day it would get enough media attention for people to start asking questions. They wouldn’t dare risk the PR of trying to fire that amount of people.

Uber drivers did it last week.

“More and more unions are turning to one-day or other short-term strikes to add punch to contract campaigns. Walmart, fast food, and other non-union workers have also used the tactic to demand changes in wages, working conditions, and safety, and to protest discharges.

A short-term strike sends a powerful message to management, dramatizing workers’ anger and determination.

Workers, both union and non-union, who take part in a short-term strike have the same legal protections as workers who engage in open-ended strikes. They cannot legally be disciplined for failing to give advance notice or failing to call in early the day of the strike (an exception is the health care industry, where 10 days’ advance notice is required). Nor can the employer count the days as absences under an attendance-control program.”

Last edited:
Paper, plastics, furniture, diapers, and chemicals have all been given to 50+ years old tms at our store. Pull, stock, backstock.... too bad you old, man.
😅 Your store is staffed be retired NFL players or what. Rarely do see elderly TM capable of toting heavy things up the ladder or pushing some ridiculous unsafe flat full of beverage

Its intereesting that the disability and eldee tm debate comes up because at my store we legally cant hire either. The design of our store makes it unaccesible to them (not sure I should eleaborate or not) we havent had either hired or working for several years. When I was first hired on we had one gal in her 80s who was forced out because she couldnt handle the buildings accessability issue.

So hiw does a company manage to get about refusing to hire because of a disability even though the building is not disability accessable for an employee? Funny that :/

Reactions: Fyi
😅 Your store is staffed be retired NFL players or what. Rarely do see elderly TM capable of toting heavy things up the ladder or pushing some ridiculous unsafe flat full of beverage
No. There's not a single one that doesn't believe that this is not a ploy to "encourage" them to quit or retire.

Its intereesting that the disability and eldee tm debate comes up because at my store we legally cant hire either. The design of our store makes it unaccesible to them (not sure I should eleaborate or not) we havent had either hired or working for several years. When I was first hired on we had one gal in her 80s who was forced out because she couldnt handle the buildings accessability issue.

So hiw does a company manage to get about refusing to hire because of a disability even though the building is not disability accessable for an employee? Funny that :/
Holy cow. Who designed your store?
M. C. Escher?

Many disabled (physical or mental disability, including those related to age or injury) employees earn a subminimum wage. It is legal. I don't know for a fact that Target pays subminimum wages, but it is not unusual at all. Theoretically, Target could pay all employees under the age of 20 the youth minimum wage of $4.25/hour for their first 90 days.

In my state Target pays everyone full wages. I believe they do everywhere. Our competition does not for minors but does for disabled.

Bathroom policy, security breach, weights and measures, forcing minors work past legal times I'm sure there are more. Not throwing shade just saying no matter how you look at it it still happens. Also Walmart just got caught trying to force out disabled people till the news caught wind of it. They are doing their own form of modernization. If a company as big as Walmart will try to force out disabled people why wouldn't target? Just sayin

This country no longer supports unions. It would not cause "bad press" because the country has made all of us retail workers look like idiots that can't hold down a "real job."

I'd be in support of a strike more as a fuck you to the consumer.

Holy cow. Who designed your store?
M. C. Escher?
I know right. I had a pretty interesting chat with my hr when she refused a wheelchair bound gal who is a regular at our store to even apply. Apparently becuse our store is not ada accessible they can do that. Which is questionable to me because they could have made reasonable accomadations in my opinion if they cared to. Supposedly with our remodel coming up they will bring the store into ada compliance but yeah. This place angers me on the sense they allow the buildings structure as an excuse to refuse hiring people.

I know right. I had a pretty interesting chat with my hr when she refused a wheelchair bound gal who is a regular at our store to even apply. Apparently becuse our store is not ada accessible they can do that. Which is questionable to me because they could have made reasonable accomadations in my opinion if they cared to. Supposedly with our remodel coming up they will bring the store into ada compliance but yeah. This place angers me on the sense they allow the buildings structure as an excuse to refuse hiring people.
If she can shop there, why couldn't she work there?

I would ask them to apply. Your hr is wrong to say no.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back