I'm Lost! They Don't Want Me

I was a seasonal cashier last year, I reapplied this year, they interviewed me, was not rehired. I have wracked my brain as usual after a fizzled interview, can't come up with it.

I am all-availability. I am 63, so that might be a problem, but there are others my age working there too. Maybe they have enough oldies?

I keep telling myself to get past it, put it away, let it go and apply somewhere else.

What is your advice?

Many stores are not rehiring previous team members. My store’s excuse is that it’s too difficult to break old habits and retrain, other HRs have said they don’t want to hear more stories about how things use to be.

Not all stores have this mentality, maybe try another store near you

Not to be ageist on purpose but at our store the older cashiers always need help and slow down the process. We have a few vets who are older but the new hires from last year have made a significant spike in back up calls this past 9-10 months. I know two who have basically become experts though. It's hit and miss with all TMs regardless of age though. I would hate to be treated different if I were 60+ just trying to get a simple cashier job. If I'm that old you bet your ass I aint showing up late or giving you any back and forth. Just hire me. Jesus.

Thank you all, for taking time to post. I will be trying other places.

I did notice there have been lots of changes to the store. It has been renovated and things look spiffier. I was back in the Employee area for my interview, and it is really different now, much less clutter, all painted and fresh. I'm thinking other things have changed, not just the decor.

I can't tell you why they don't want to rehire you, I have never worked with you and I don't see the benefit of making assumptions about you, but, there is one red flag in your post that I picked up on.

Why were you not kept around last year? Did you intentionally only want a seasonal position, or were you let go after the end of 4th quarter?

At my store at least, seasonal employees are basically always kept if they want to be kept and work hard. If they didn't offer you a permanent position last year, there was probably a reason why. It's probably the same reason they don't want to rehire you now. What that reason is though I have no idea without having worked alongside you.

Let it go and move on.

The alternative is you try to fight with your old store and management to force your way back in. How successful do you think that will be? And if you succeeded this year, I am sure they will screw you over with minimal hours and there would be no chance in hell for future years.

Find another retailer who can use someone with open availability and old enough to be responsible/reliable. A lot of younger kids are not responsible, not reliable to show up on time with minimal call outs, and would rather socialize than work.

I would also take it a step further. I would personally boycott Target during the next year. If Target doesn't think you are good enough to work there, then your money is not good enough to be spent there. Don't give them your money to support their sales/profits. One person boycotting won't change anything. Take your money and spend it elsewhere.

Last year seasonal, no cashiers were kept. They didn't need every register manned, so it was back to not many cashiers after Christmas.

I always thought they liked me. I figure if they didn't, they would have fired me after a week or 2, like they did to several others.

I will take my good qualities elsewhere!

My store looks at the incoming for potential rock stars while looking in the ranks for the dead weight.
After the holidays they assess to see if the rock stars want to stay then start cutting the dead weights' hours to the bone until they self-term or job abandon.
Later, the rock stars realize how crazy this place is & eventually job-abandon.

Back