Archived They scheduled me outside my availibility so I can work on Christmas eve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't work on mondays, and this year christmas eve happens to fall on a monday. They scheduled me anyway, and I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I'm only 16, I started in October, and I'm doing full time highschool as well as part-time PSEO. I have a huge annual family event going on christmas eve and I can't miss it.

They don’t pay attention to availability when they schedule for holidays. In your interview when they asked you are you willing to work holidays what was your answer? Because if you said no I don’t see how you got hired lol. I’m unavailable tuesdays and thursdays and still had to work thanksgiving, it’s expected when you work retail.

They don’t pay attention to availability when they schedule for holidays. In your interview when they asked you are you willing to work holidays what was your answer? Because if you said no I don’t see how you got hired lol. I’m unavailable tuesdays and thursdays and still had to work thanksgiving, it’s expected when you work retail.

They never asked me if I could work holidays.

You have a week and a half. Get the shift up on the swap board and start talking to your co-workers to see who might like extra hours. Also talk to your TL. But know that if it's not picked up, you are still responsible for that shift.

What I would do is try to swap with someone, and if that doesn’t work ask for an earlier shift. You’re within 90 days, so I wouldn’t call out.

Last edited:
Unless you are making Target your career, don't be a doormat. Walk in there, tell .... don't ask .... the etl hr or the senior tl hr that you won't be working that day. Period. You are unavailable on Mondays whether it's Christmas Eve or because you have another job or whatever. It's irrelevant. And if the idiots that disregarded your availability try to dissuade you, just know that is the type of treatment you are in for if you don't stand up for yourself.

Unless you are making Target your career, don't be a doormat. Walk in there, tell .... don't ask .... the etl hr or the senior tl hr that you won't be working that day. Period. You are unavailable on Mondays whether it's Christmas Eve or because you have another job or whatever. It's irrelevant. And if the idiots that disregarded your availability try to dissuade you, just know that is the type of treatment you are in for if you don't stand up for yourself.
This isn’t so great for the employment continuation program, maybe word it in a way that’s slightly more humble

Sorry to break it to you. But your SCHEDULED.

At most stores, Black Thanksgiving/Friday and Day After Christmas, and may expand it to the whole Holiday weeks, its....ALL HANDS ON DECK. The store needs trumps your availability.

Unless you made time-off arrangements and approved with your management you will have to work the shift or find someone to take the shift. If you call-out, a lot of stores will write you up or terminate you.

Around the holidays, availabilities aren't always followed especially if you're seasonal/new. Your ETL/TLs should've told you this expectation way in advance. I've had seasonal applicants try to put down that were completely unavailable on Thursdays so that when Thanksgiving comes around, they wouldn't be scheduled. I'm not saying this was your intention but that's what ETLs have to anticipate. Your interviewer also should've explicitly asked if you were available for the holidays. Anyone that answers no or only has partial availability is usually turned down.

You could try to push this issue and get yourself taken off but that's a surefire way to be let go when seasonal reduction comes around. Your best option is to first talk to your ETL to see if you could work a different shift that day instead. If that doesn't work you'll need to find someone to cover you.

Most everyone has family plans around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and NYE. They can't accommodate everyone. Some people will have to work and, unfortunately, cancel their plans. That's life. You'll need to decide which is more important. I completely get why most people choose family over this job though. It's terrible.

I know people that can’t work Thursdays and don’t get scheduled for Thanksgiving. 🤷🏽‍♀️ ASANTS definitely on availability even when holidays are involved.

Just talk to your TL and HR. Tell them that you are scheduled outside of your availability on XMas Eve.
See what they say. Holiday or not, the system should have flagged to let the schedule maker know that
you were being scheduled outside of your availability. If that doesn't get you anywhere, try putting it on
the swap board or switching with a co-worker. You can call off, but if you haven't been with Target for
a full 90 days, you will likely be let go.

At most stores, Black Thanksgiving/Friday and Day After Christmas, and may expand it to the whole Holiday weeks, its....ALL HANDS ON DECK. The store needs trumps your availability.

Unless you made time-off arrangements and approved with your management you will have to work the shift or find someone to take the shift. If you call-out, a lot of stores will write you up or terminate you.
All hands on deck, but then some stores are cutting hours. It’s funny how that works. Just how Target loves employees with open availability and then continuously schedules them with 20 hours or less. Don’t you dare try to get a second job and change your availability, cause it will get denied.

Just go in and respectfully talk to them about the issue. Good communication is key and most people will listen to you instead of going in there and demanding it be fixed. For all we know it could have been a scheduling oversight. HR has to write the store schedule and human error will happen.

Well if you are 16 and you normally have school functions or other extracurriculars on Mondays, they know that there is no school Christmas week. They also would know that you wouldn't probably have anything scheduled on Christmas Eve because most non-retail business close early or don't open at all. Thus, you are scheduled.

I requested to work both the 24th and 25th but yet they schedule me everyday except those :/

No one works on the 25th

I was scheduled for it last year to do price change. I planned to call out and pretend to be sick.

Then I actually got sick. So it worked out.

Anyways ASANTS but some stores do price change for toys.

Christmas eve is a required shift. It's retail. It's one of the biggest shopping days of the year. I'm going out on a limb here and guess you don't have either HS or PSEO classes on Christmas Eve. If you were hired as seasonal you were hired for the express purpose of providing extra help for the holidays. Go ahead and post the shift or try talking to your ETL, but pretty much everyone else is going to be scheduled already, anyway, and you don't really have a compelling reason not to be working that day with the rest of us.

Well I’m lucky because I got those days off without asking, lol. And I’m still getting the amount of hours I requested.

Christmas eve is a required shift. It's retail. It's one of the biggest shopping days of the year. I'm going out on a limb here and guess you don't have either HS or PSEO classes on Christmas Eve. If you were hired as seasonal you were hired for the express purpose of providing extra help for the holidays. Go ahead and post the shift or try talking to your ETL, but pretty much everyone else is going to be scheduled already, anyway, and you don't really have a compelling reason not to be working that day with the rest of us.
I've never worked Christmas eve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back