Archived Thinking about demoting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been struggling getting into my role as a Team Lead. I love the task aspect of things, but the leadership part is what I'm having problems with. I don't like how Spot wants me to manage my team. Especially with AE14, I feel like it's just going to get worse for me.

By this time (7 months in) I feel like I should be more settled into my role than I am. Maybe this just wasn't for me. I don't want to be a lackluster employee and an average TL. I want to be amazing, and I think I can do that much better as a TM.

In the back of my head I keep telling myself that I just need to suck it up, that other people do it why shouldn't I, but I can't deal with the stress anymore.

I sat down with my ETL, and we've discussed my options. I love working here, so it looks like demoting would be the best option for me.

Thoughts?

I'm in the exact same boat as you right now. I hope you work well with your ETL; I had a plan and timetable to demote with mine, and now they are deciding to performance me out as quickly as they can. I'm not even sure what I've done wrong, just doing the best with the resources I'm given.

In some districts, if you demote from tl job, spot won't let you stay in the same store. You have to transferred to another store & be a tm there.

I am the same way, but I am an extended intern that will be ETL after graduation... I did okay on my initial internship, and have been doing fine as GSTL, but anytime I have been LOD or taken away from the frontend, I've struggled. I think my current mentor thinks I'm farther along that I am, and even when I ask questions or bring up my concerns, they get shuffled aside... The thought of me having that responsibility scares me. I've worked retail before, I've worked retail management before, but for whatever reason, Target management just, ugh.

I'm trying to find something else that is more in with my major and away from retail... But at the same time, I wonder what exactly that "hey, I know I've worked here because you thought I was going to be an ETL, but I found something else" conversation will go.

i was told they arent letting TL's demote. Because of the changes all kinds of people are asking to demote and its making them look bad. we have 3 tl's in my store that want to but they arent allowed. .

i would be amazed if they let you stay in the same store.. they would usually try and move you out of the the store as it would bring on a lot of questions as to why this happened..

i worked my way up to team lead at my last store and that only lasted for 6 months... i was put in charge of a slow team that was just there for the check and it would make me crazy every day.. i tried everything but we just could not get anything done so i went crazy and quit.

a couple years later im in the same boat again with my TL and ETL asking me about being promoted to team lead again..... i just still dont think im ready for that right now and i dont want to mess it up again... i enjoy my job now with the lesser responsibility... i dont want any extra stress at this point in time..

anyways.. good luck with everything!

We have three team members in our store that were previously TL in our store and they let them stay in store. But as always depends on your own stores particular situation. Good luck and hope all works out for the best.

I keep wondering if the whole 'Spot isn't allowing demotions' is actually 'this store isn't comfortable offering a demotion'.
It just seems weird that I hear of some stores that have allowed it and others that don't.

Why would the company want to lose people with skills and training who were willing to work for less?
It makes no sense.

The only people who would benefit would be bosses who can't handle the idea of having to supervise someone who might know the job better than they do.

Last edited:
How timely. I just got pulled aside today by my ETL for a performance coaching. Ever since they sat all the TLs down and told us how the job would be getting harder, with very little incentive to tough it out, morale has been low all over the store.

I finally gave up and told my ETL that I've been applying to go back to school and that it's been made clear that I have no future at Target, and that I would be stepping down as soon as was feasible. Not my best moment, but At this point I can't see a reason to keep on as a team lead. If for some reason I can't step down I'm already looking for part time jobs. I'm not the best TL for sure, but I'm not terrible, and I'm tired of being held to a higher standard than ETLs at my store. Your situation may be different, but hope things work out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back