Thoughts on extending hazard pay.

Of course you wouldn't have resentment because you took a leave yourself. It feels a lot different for those of us who are working and having to deal with the lack of all the TMs who did the same thing and then can waltz in, resume their jobs and in several cases in my store, decide they still can't do it and go BACK on leave after only a shift or two.

I'm just saying that for those of us who didn't go on a leave, an additional bonus would be a nice gesture.

Anything is possible, but remember the company has an earnings call coming up soon on 5/20. They may not invest millions more for the $2 differential due to how much has already been pumped into that and the paid LOAs.

I would have loved to soak up all the hours that were flying around the past month-plus, especially with the two dollar hazard pay. But I took a leave because I felt forced to, by disrespectful guests and TMs who don't know the meaning of the word boundaries.
Unfortunately, at least in our store, hours were cut sharply at the end of April. We didn't reach "all you can eat" availability of extra hours. ASANTS.

Of course you wouldn't have resentment because you took a leave yourself. It feels a lot different for those of us who are working and having to deal with the lack of all the TMs who did the same thing and then can waltz in, resume their jobs and in several cases in my store, decide they still can't do it and go BACK on leave after only a shift or two.

I'm just saying that for those of us who didn't go on a leave, an additional bonus would be a nice gesture.
It would be a nice gesture. So would extending the paid leave for those of us who are vulnerable, just as they extended the hazard pay.

"Waltz in" sounds bitter though. You can take a leave just like everyone else can. Remember, Target offers up to 120 days of unpaid leave for many reasons, not just a pandemic, with job security. I'm sure a lot of people are coming back only because they have to due to financial need. I would take another month in a heartbeat if it weren't for the almighty dollar. I still might.

Last edited:
"Waltz in" sounds bitter though. You can take a leave just like everyone else can. Remember, Target offers up to 120 days of unpaid leave.

Honestly you got paid leave, not everyone can take that. I resent the team members who took off because they didn't feel safe and don't have medical conditions. I could have easily afforded to take off but I wanted to make the extra money and support my store.

Honestly you got paid leave, not everyone can take that. I resent the team members who took off because they didn't feel safe and don't have medical conditions. I could have easily afforded to take off but I wanted to make the extra money and support my store.
But how can you resent someone for not feeling safe, and for utilizing a benefit that the company is providing?

You stayed because you wanted the money, and that's fine, that's your right. But people also have the right to feel safe at work. I just heard from a coworker that our store has been packed, hitting guest limits regularly and people are not respecting the physical distancing. That sure isn't easing my mind about coming back.

I didn't take a leave and certainly don't blame anyone that did regardless of their reasoning. Hours have been very plentiful at my store and most people that want them have gotten them. We've hired several new people too. I would like the hazard pay to extend though since it's still hazardous.

Given that much of America is still on pretty tight restrictions around COVID-19, and TMs are still facing elevated risk of infection from this miserable illness, Corporate might consider extending the $2.00 Temporary Pay Differential for four more weeks, through June 27th. An alternative would be to offer a cash bonus to store hourly TMs. Target is very, very PR conscious and this might help the company stand out (in terms of "moral high ground") from its competitors who are dropping the "combat pay" for their "heroes". That can buy an enormous amount of goodwill from the public and from Target team members.

Anything is possible, but remember the company has an earnings call coming up soon on 5/20. They may not invest millions more for the $2 differential due to how much has already been pumped into that and the paid LOAs.
This is fucked up for me. I took a leave of absence because I live with my old parents and they didn't pay me shit, didn't even mention it. Did you need to be sick to get that?

I did not take a leave for myself but for my loved ones, all of them. Do you specifically know the reason all the team members took their leaves or are you just assuming?

This is fucked up for me. I took a leave of absence because I live with my old parents and they didn't pay me shit, didn't even mention it. Did you need to be sick to get that?
No, the paid LOAs were offered to team members over a certain age or those with medically documented conditions that would make them more vulnerable if they caught the virus. My store did had a team member with a similar situation to the one you describe for yourself (Living with elderly) and they were denied pay for their LOA under that program.

I completely understand but people who stayed should get some type of bonus. Let’s face it an extra $2 in this virus is nothing when all other businesses are shuttered, & people are staying home. Many stores also had confirmed cases which made the hazard bigger. My store has 6 confirmed cases as of right now. & there’s probably more we don’t even know about. Also the front end was hit the hardest.. at times we’re left with four cashiers the entire day on a busy Sunday.

I would have loved to soak up all the hours that were flying around the past month-plus, especially with the two dollar hazard pay. But I took a leave because I felt forced to, by disrespectful guests and TMs who don't know the meaning of the word boundaries.

I feel bad for those of you who have remained on the front lines, and I can't speak for everyone who went on leave, but I can say that I would've preferred not to but felt my hand was forced. I am very grateful that I was able to get one month paid due to asthma, and also grateful that the stimulus check is covering my current unpaid month.

I am usually a real stickler when it comes to attendance, but during this crisis I have not one iota of resentment towards anyone who felt or still feels the need to call out or take a leave because of this mess.
I completely understand but people who stayed should get some type of bonus. Let’s face it an extra $2 in this virus is nothing when all other businesses are shuttered, & people are staying home. Many stores also had confirmed cases which made the hazard bigger. My store has 6 confirmed cases as of right now. & there’s probably more we don’t even know about. Also the front end was hit the hardest.. at times we’re left with four cashiers the entire day on a busy Sunday.

'Waltz back in' is the right terming for some tms. We can all determine who took the leave for genuine reasons, and who didn't. I had a lazy tm who took the leave get mad at me for implying he was lazy by taking the leave. He came back and acted like he was part of the stress the entire time when he wasn't. I ended up showing symptoms and I felt so awful and stressed out by it, it made me angry to think some people were sitting at home while I worried about the guilt around calling out when my dept needed me. Ultimately I called out because that was responsible and I ended up getting covid tested.

On the subject, I think Target will extend the hazard pay because they see it as a PR opportunity, but we will see.

One of Target's largest competitors, Kroger, has reversed its position, but as a substitute for the $2/hour hazard pay will offer lump-sum "bonus payments".

Last edited:
Given that much of America is still on pretty tight restrictions around COVID-19, and TMs are still facing elevated risk of infection from this miserable illness, Corporate might consider extending the $2.00 Temporary Pay Differential for four more weeks, through June 27th. An alternative would be to offer a cash bonus to store hourly TMs. Target is very, very PR conscious and this might help the company stand out (in terms of "moral high ground") from its competitors who are dropping the "combat pay" for their "heroes". That can buy an enormous amount of goodwill from the public and from Target team members.
“store employees”? Are dc employees somehow immune to the virus?

'Waltz back in' is the right terming for some tms. We can all determine who took the leave for genuine reasons, and who didn't. I had a lazy tm who took the leave get mad at me for implying he was lazy by taking the leave. He came back and acted like he was part of the stress the entire time when he wasn't. I ended up showing symptoms and I felt so awful and stressed out by it, it made me angry to think some people were sitting at home while I worried about the guilt around calling out when my dept needed me. Ultimately I called out because that was responsible and I ended up getting covid tested.

On the subject, I think Target will extend the hazard pay because they see it as a PR opportunity, but we will see.
Target will not do it unless the public is made aware of it.

We've had to hire seasonal team members because of over 50 people taking LOA. Only about 6 of them were paid, and when their 30 days were over they came back to work. No more safe than they were before they went.

Slowly people have been coming back but their hours are reduced since we had to hire seasonal tm to replace them. They complained and got angry, even some quit, but we were running a business and had to do it. I'm sure they didn't think it through before they took LOA and that's fine but you can't blame Target for wanting to be able to run their stores.

Yeah, loading cat litter pallets on top of paper is scientifically proven to boost immunity to Covid 19. So y'all have a ton of it.

I kid. I kid.
Talking about gripes, it sure must be hard to sort repacks into similar colored repacks. 🙄That’s ok, easy thing for me to do in sweeps and get paid 50% more. 🙃

Only about 6 of them were paid, and when their 30 days were over they came back to work. No more safe than they were before they went.

I don't know how many people are on leave, but I think I heard 20 of them took the leave when it was first offered, then a bunch after our first case. I always wondered why people were talking leave starting in early April when we hadn't even had any cases in our county yet, knowing they were anticipating the peak for late May/early June.

Those folks are back now, I think (at least I'm seeing some faces I haven't seen for awhile), and the second wave will be scheduled to come back by next weekend (if they took leave right after the first case).

Talking about gripes, it sure must be hard to sort repacks into similar colored repacks. 🙄That’s ok, easy thing for me to do in sweeps and get paid 50% more. 🙃

You'd be surprised at the level of stupid at the store level. A lot of these people could use a preschool refresher on things that look the same and things that look different. It may not be rocket science, but it sure does stump an awful lot of people.

My receiver takes the time to fix it before it gets loaded into the sweep. I know not everyone can find the time to do that though.

Back