Archived Thoughts on transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoomm

ex-caffeinator
Things have been fun at home lately, and due to many annoying scenarios, I've decided it's time for me to move. I was hoping to do so several months from now, but it's starting to become one of those situations where the longer I wait for everything to be just right, the less likely it is to actually happen. Unfortunately, the way things are right now, that's going to mean a fairly fast relocation. Like, within 2 months or less. I think I've got a pretty decent start on a lot of the logistics, and I'm now about to dive head first into the fun of packing.

I discussed my situation with HR a couple days ago, and gave them a list of 3 stores in the area I'm aiming for as far as possible transfers. I was told I'd be a "hot commodity" due to being Starbucks trained, but I suppose we'll see how true that turns out to be. I've read here before that it might be a decent idea to contact the prospective stores myself, in case the local higher ups are too busy to give me much priority. I don't want to look like I'm overstepping, but at the same time, it's critical that I have a position waiting for me when I start unpacking my stuff on the other end.

My main concerns at this point are probably not nearly as big as I'm mentally making them out to be. This is the first retail job I've wanted to stay at for as long as I have, and I just cleared my 1-year mark. I honestly feel spoiled at my store! Sure, there's shitty days, and shitty guests, and the occasional shitty thing done by someone who wasn't paying attention or whatever. But there's never been a day when I've dreaded going in to work because of the job or my coworkers (of course, there's a few days when I'd rather be doing something cool that I didn't get time off for, or I don't feel great, but that's it). I'm somewhat worried that I really lucked out here, and perhaps the next store I end up at won't be a fraction as awesome. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Also...
While I know the same sets of rules generally apply to the same things in the same company, there's always at least a little variation on a few things here and there at different locations. For anyone who's transferred before, how is it like to get used to that? Any little tips on re-programming oneself for those kinds of things? I'm sure every store is a bit different... "We do ___ here because of how this fixture is arranged," or "it's not technically a rule, but ___ says we have to do ___," or whatever.

Is there any kind of paperwork or form filling-out that I need to do on my end, as far as the transfer itself is concerned?

. I've read here before that it might be a decent idea to contact the prospective stores myself,

This is real hit and miss. Sometimes they will simply want the goods from your HR. Attendance and review score. Some will want to talk to you. Give your HR a week after that take matters into your own hands.

You can use target.com to see which store actually has need for your position.

While I know the same sets of rules generally apply to the same things in the same company, there's always at least a little variation on a few things here and there at different locations.

Asants is very true. I have worked at or trained at a total of 5 different stores. You learn a store as you go there isn't a whole lot you can do to prepare until you actually get there.

I would logon to work bench and go to store fact sheet. Gives you so much info including demographics, volume, truck unload time, headcount, whether they have sfs, baby360, etc.

I also encourage you to visit a store as a guest if possible. You learn a lot undercover.

Best way to adjust to a new store is to ask questions. Rather than sound condescending and saying "oh thats weird, at my old store we did blah blah." I generally say "so at my old store we did this, how would you all handle this" and go from there

Everything is done electronically through what's called a universal change form. Takes 5 minutes. Hr from either side can do it although it's generally easier for your old store to perform the transfer

If all 3 stores have a Starbucks, you should get a job at one of them, no problem. Give your TL the store numbers, and ask him to pull up the Starbucks dashboard for each. Not sure if a tm has access. It will tell you how busy they are, what percent of their allocated hours they use, Stetitech results, any NNCs, and give you a pretty good idea of how well run it is. I would make a visit to the stores if you can. You know what a well run store looks like. If the TL happens to be there, you might want to try to talk to him. He will most likely be making the decision.

Any little tips on re-programming oneself for those kinds of things?
If you know your store does something backwards, check and see how the new store does it and then do it their way. If they tell you that you're doing something wrong, apologize and find out how they do it at their store. Try not to inject "oh well at my old store we did it this way" into everything.

Some processes will be a little different but generally the focuses are the same. Code names for like backup, fulfillment and things of that nature can be different.

Store culture is also different. When I transferred for the first time out of state it was like I hit refresh because I had more confidence in myself. Then some of that confidence brushed away when I transferred after that.

If the new store allows it, you can always implement a strategy that worked at one location and it would look good when either promote or go to another company.

If you know your store does something backwards, check and see how the new store does it and then do it their way. If they tell you that you're doing something wrong, apologize and find out how they do it at their store. Try not to inject "oh well at my old store we did it this way" into everything.
QFT. We have a transfer who uses the last sentence all the time.

All excellent advice,I have worked at multiple stores and as you have picked out three possibles,you should certainly visit them to get a feel for which one may be the best for you,you can learn a lot from hanging around, and just listening especially if the flow team are working,also talk to people,you don't want to accidently transfer to a store that may be a nightmare to work at.Good luck with your move.

Unfortunately, I'll be skipping across more than a whole time zone for this move, so I won't be able to visit any stores early, other than the fact that I'll obviously want a few days between when I arrive and when my first shift is.

But thanks for the tidbits of advice. I'm sure I'll frequently be thinking, "At my old store, we ___," so I'll work hard on not actually saying it that way.

The only reviews I've had so far were really good, and I've never had any attendance problems. Unless it's an opening shift, I'm frequently the go-to when someone calls out for Starbucks or front registers, because I'll generally do it 9 times out of 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back