Archived Tips or advice for ETL Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Team,

I've been officially in my role for four months and started off as ETL log as pg 11. I inherited a red workcenter at a high volume store as far as metrics and moral. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on what made them successful... How long until I should start expecting results and or fully understanding my role?

What if they already get fed everyday. We do it for the entire store for recognition.

in my experiences as a peer to logistics is that if you dont hold you leaders, backroom/flow/instocks/plano then you will not succeed. most logs are afraid of coaching/cca/finals because of the culture nightmare that log can be as finding quality talent at the TM level. with that being said, if you are building strong relationships with your leaders and get their buy-in of leading by example aka busting their a$$to work freight back stock and help the rest of the store then TM's will follow suit. if they dont, then you can coach and have your TL unfortunately start performancing them out. i would say you have another 2 months before you can push that envelope. keep working with your TLs and dig in. hopefully they arent bottom performers. while getting that going get your other etls/lods involved with supporting you. red log workcenter typically means red store in my estimation. at the 6 month mark... if your TL's dont buy in then they are not part of the solution to getting you to green and you begin with them. hopefully this helps

I empowered my TLs, that was my first step. They didn't feel confident leading or the coaching process because HR didn't support them. I had their backs and the STL had mine so we followed through on talent management. With a military background I wasn't afraid to coach and I trained my leaders (TLs) to be leaders. The team responded well to the TLs taking over since TLs are closely viewed as peers. We ended up terming a good amount of TMs who couldn't hang. We also termed 90 day wonders who didn't show potential in Logistics.

I also developed TMs by creating captains and giving those interested in leadership opportunities to lead a task. Believe it or not I had TMs leading the flow process on days we were short on leadership (vacations). They did really well and I moved them on to TL interviews so we could build a bench ( one of our district's focus).

I got TMs engaged and invested in the process. Feeding TMs all the time becomes an expectation rather than a motivator. We always had drinks and music. We also extended the first 15 to 20-25 minutes when we started improving. Free time to socialize was a bigger motivator than food, but food every so often was nice too.

I created a spreadsheet that showed everyone's task for the night. I posted it at the time clock and in the BR. It was also a tool for the TMs to see who didn't show up and how their absence impacts the process. When I had to move TMs around they knew it was because a TM called out - they didn't like that too much.

I submitted a redesign of our unload line to corporate. Our store wasn't meant for Target unloads and the line itself took more TMs than needed. They accepted the redesign, the GOL loved it, and we turned all unloads into 60 min or less.

A happy team works harder. Work with them and get them invested. You'll know who truly cares and who is just there to steal air by their action and reaction to your hardwork. Get rid of the mouth breathing air stealers.

Seeing results takes time so don't get discouraged. Be clear to your peers about your intentions and own your area. If your dayside team is making logistics harder then step up and tell them what needs to be done.

My dayside BR team was shit, pure shit. I awarded my top performers and coached those creating too many errors. Actually I retrained many and that helped eliminate errors and raise my location accuracy to solid green consistently. I told the ETLs that they need to lead from the backroom. No excuse for missing CAFs or leaving us back stock.. If I turned over a clean backroom then I expected a clean backroom when I came back.

I called my ETLs out in a meeting. I told them who gave me the best results and who was shitting on my process. STL and I were good friends outside of work so she supported my decisions. I also had to have my mentor, the best STL in the group, explain that a green logistics process means a green store . Fix logistics and the rest will be easy. We had a good relationship and understanding of how important logistics was because I was honest with her and clear of my intentions for turning logistics around.

7-8 months in and we were green, happy, and adding more work that other teams couldn't finish (pushing for POG team, re shop, zoning, etc).

My mentor and STL told me that any change takes time to see results. Make a single change Monday and see results (slowly) in a month or month and a half. Overall improvement, or complete turn around can take 6 months to a year. Don't get discouraged, stay engaged. Get it green and consistent and consider yourself STL eligible at the 18 month mark. Another LOG completely turned his process around to the point where he no longer needed to be overnight with the team. He came in around 4 am and worked a day shift to focus on in stocks and dayside backroom. He was promoted to STL right before leaving Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back