• Thread starter Barcode
  • Start date
  • Replies 54
  • Views 7K
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barcode

Just wondering what everyone thinks about their TLs.... Theres a few good ones at my store, but there is like 6+ TLs that are all buddy buddy inside/outside of work, and they like have their own clique at work... Really anoying. A lot of these people have been with Target for quite a while, and the majority of the ETLs hold them all in high regard, so they can basically do what they want with little restriction.

Theres also a few TMs that are included in this little clique, and you can always tell they get preferential treatment at work. Between those TMs getting Great Team Hero more often than they should (if at all), and they are never questioned by the TLs for their actions.

I know some of the direct supervisors over certain TMs at my store hang out with each other, and I feel like thats kind of sketchy.. I mean whats to keep this from affecting reviews? I also know of one ETL that associates with a TM outside of work (I heard this was a big no no), and they're always really buddy buddy at work.

Its just really annoying because I feel like this clique pretty much rules the store, and if you're not a part of it, you don't really go anywhere. ****ing politics.

Whats your clique stories from your stores guys? :)

There wasn't so much cliques in my store as a sea of tumultuous, frothing hate towards each other from the department TLs. An ever shifting chess game of back stabbing and mean talking while each TL had their backs turned. The ETLs were the Queens and Kings and their TLs their knights, Bishops, and Rooks. We Team members were the pawns, vainly hoping that we can make it to the end to promote and take a khaki shiv to one of the leaders. There was no black and white team, only red, and it was everyone against everyone.

The company is full of nothing but post-college frat/sorority type ****. It's a great way to keep complacency since everyone is too busy backstabbing each other over $0.30 raises instead of organizing together for better wages/working conditions in general.

Whatever. I prefer having no leadership role at all in place of being a ****lord.

Most of our leadership is pretty good...there is a partial clique with some front end people and the GSAs...as in, they are joined at the hip...so they get to do whatever they want (or nothing) and that's okay. One of them quit, so it's gotten better. Unfortunately, I tried ignoring their games, and got in trouble for it (really?). But I was told one of them was told to grow up, she no longer treats me like dirt.

There were a few that were cliquey...like the PATL, a GSTL, and another TL were all good friends. So when the PATL thought I was slacking, she'd send her GSTL friend after me. Hello, talk to me directly.

What I never understood was the special ETL/TL outings they'd have. They'd make a big deal about going to dinner or bowling or some big to do, and have another ETL from a different store come in to close. It was to boost morale. I don't think the leadership team needed it as much as the team members, but all we got was encouraged to join in volunteer activities. Don't worry about us TMs, we'll do our job and we don't need a morale booster.

/end rant

From my experience the cliques tend to be more prevalent the larger the store is. This also creates barriers in vertical communication that I think leads to the animosities a lot of people feel for their leadership. I work in a GM store and I had weekly chats with the STL as a TM. At a SuperT you may have 10-15 ETLs vying for the STLs attention, not to mention the 25-50 TLs vying for their ETLs attention. GM stores have better cultures in general I've found, and it leads to better communication and opportunities for team members.

I agree with RankOne. With that being said, I'm in a high volume store and I enjoyed a good rapport as a TM with our STL and the ETLs because I had no fear. Many of our TMs are seemingly afraid to speak to anyone above TL levels for whatever reason. Perhaps they're afraid that the TLs will feel threatened? It may also depend on your personality and the personalities of the STL/ETLs. IDK.

im not going to lie, i was apart of a clique, when i was on the flow team, me and my logistics TLs would always have lunch together, we would always talk about everything that was going on, i was in the loop of things that were completely none of my business, but im glad to say that i never used what they said against anyone of my fellow tms. and im not going to lie though, i did get special treatment from them, but it wasnt because i was there friend most of the time, i actually did work my ass off for the things that i deserved, and not only did myETL or STL see that but my DTL saw that too...
no matter what though, these cliques alllll talk crap on each other behind there backs, its pretty annoying, ever since ive moved to backroom dayside im not apart of that anymore, i have a new "clique" all regular TMs

Not really any cliques in my store but it's also pretty small. There's a few people who are attached at the hips to one another and one ETL who plays favourites with certain people but nothing that warrants me whining about.

I was friends with a HLTL, CTL, and BRTL but the only thing I got out of that were some juicy rumors about promotions, transfers, etc. Oh, and how much they disliked the ETL-HR and one of the GSTLs. Every now and then, I'd get invited in on the lunch order... but I usually didn't do that.

Hehe.

Backroom
In stocks
GSTL
Consumables
AP
Pricing
Food Av/Starbucks

One SrHL
One SrGSTL

I can't figure out who I'm missing.....

as a tl i do hang out with some people outside of work. But i know who i can and can't and i have no problem being their "boss" at work and their friend outside of work. We don't talk about work outside of work and we don't talk about hanging out inside of work.

When i became a TL i did lose about 6 friends because they couldn't respect that just because we were friends that i wasn't going to treat them better. Work your ass off for me and i'll treat you better but i'm not going to respect someone who slacks just because we're "friends".

Facility Management TMs are also TLs, at least that's what mine said. Also maybe Plano?

My store has all those plus Food, Deli, bakery, (bring a SuperT), and a few others.

Facility Management TMs are also TLs, at least that's what mine said. Also maybe Plano?

My store has all those plus Food, Deli, bakery, (bring a SuperT), and a few others.
Yeah, but I don't count them for the same reasons I don't count ETL Pharmacy with the other ETLs. They don't even show on the org chart, so spot doesn't seem to either.

i wouldnt say that TLs at my store are cliquey per se. we have 10 or 11 i think. when we do get at each other's throats (which does happen sometimes) its usually one-on-one and its no two people or group of people in particular. it is usually work-related and not personal. there is a fair and evenly spread amount of **** talking. it seems that we just generally all like each other or piss each other off.. more often than not it is the latter, but i think that has more to do with the fact that our leadership team has been a revolving door over the last year or so. its difficult to get too attached or upset about anyone. some of us get it worse than the others.. specifically those of us who are still considered NIR.

i have the best rapport with the TLs that i DO socialize with outside of work. since i started forming outside friendships with a few of them, it has helped us to channel our frustrations in a productive way. those are the ones i am able to come to for help or advice and i do think the outings are productive in that sense. i think the most strained relationships are TL to ETL and TL to TM. that said, i am not terribly supportive of socializing outside of work with team members or ETL's. i do not socialize with my TMs but i can see how it would be difficult to separate the two. i know another TL who socialized HEAVILY with an ETL for a while, the relationship soured, and they have a direct reporting relationship and things have been difficult for her ever since. its a bit unfair that he treats her that way but at the same time, she made her bed so to speak.

it is difficult to imagine a store with 25 or more TLs. we have 2 GSTLs, a food ave TL, CTL, PTL, PATL, 2 HLTLs, 2 SLTLs, BR/IS, Log, and AP and SFT if those count. i know we currently have a position open for another though i am not sure which. i believe another HL.

the general idea i get is that TMs are not thrilled with most of the TLs.. but honestly i think that comes from the fact that they are not aware of what those TLs are dealing with. and i guess thats a communication problem on our end. or maybe not. i dont know everything is pretty sh**y right now.

We have two sets of TLs that are dating, but not really any cliques. Our ETLs, on the other hand...

A store in my district was once top 10 in sales in the company, until another opened not too far away. Still has around 45 TLs..

Backroom
In stocks
GSTL
Consumables
AP
Pricing
Food Av/Starbucks

One SrHL
One SrGSTL

I can't figure out who I'm missing.....
Softlines and Presentation?

Ooh...ok...hold on...one is presentation...not pricing.

And softlines...well..the softlines SrTL mysteriously disappeared in October...was on leave for about two months, came back for two days and then was never seen again....(I haven't heard if we're missing any degreaser, though). And we've had no one "in charge" of softlines since...though we have a newly promoted to TL person who I suspect may take that since she originally started there and has a soft spot for softlines.

I get along with a lot of folks in different cliques because they all know they can count on me to help when possible.
Would I have a beer with any of them? Nope.
Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

I get along with a lot of folks in different cliques because they all know they can count on me to help when possible.
Would I have a beer with any of them? Nope.
Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

My problem is I have a hard time being treated like an idiot...seriously...I've been at the service desk since October, I do not need to be told how to do a return with a credit card, nor have someone watch over my shoulder to see if I'm doing it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back