Archived TL & ETL ask if I'm interested in taking a TL position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kroneru

is choosing a custom title.
Next week it will be two months since I started working at Target. Definitely enjoying this position as a Backroom TM. My trainer was impressed with how quickly I caught on to his instructions and became less dependent on him. Not long after that the Backroom TL and an ETL (whom I had my second interview with) were soon letting me know they thought I was doing good and to keep up the good work.

Two weeks ago the Backroom TL told me his Backroom closer was transferring and he needed a replacement and asked if I'd be interested. As a new TM I was surprised he'd even consider me for that responsibility. I accepted and these past two weeks I've been working with that team member learning how to prep the backroom for the next day and whatnot. TL also said that his closers usually get 35-40hr so I'm happy with that.

So, during my second interview I inquired if there was room for growth at the company to which that ETL basically said yes. Last week he came to me and asked if I was still interested in moving up within Target. Nothing had come up he said but that he'd consider me for a TL position and my current TL would probably be showing me what the position entails in the future. Well, yesterday my TL told me he intends on becoming an ETL and needs a replacement. His second choice was already a TL so he can't be one again, his first choice is the TM that I'm replacing as closer, so he said I'm first in line to replace him. Told me to keep doing what I'm doing and maybe in six months his position might be mines.

Depending on your store size, closing back room may hold you back. Unless, your tl is a srtl with degree & on a secession plan for etl, they may be blowing smoke. What is your back room score? Wait till 90 days & review, first. Show initiative & keep on asking questions, & master your work center.

Off hand, I think our score is 98. I'll edit later with the exact number but I know we are a top ranked store. Backroom TL mentioned a few weeks ago we were green with 100% accuracy too.

Off hand, I think our score is 98. I'll edit later with the exact number but I know we are a top ranked store. Backroom TL mentioned a few weeks ago we were green with 100% accuracy too.

Start focusing on whether you are green or not... rankings do not really apply anymore. Target changed myperformance so if you are green you are ranked #1. This is because so many stores faked their scores to try and get to that top spot when it wasn't necessary (and wasted lots of payroll to get it)... Now just focus on running a green area and focus on fixing what is red in your store :)

Ok, thank you for that information.

TL mentioned we were green a week or so ago and a chart in the backroom does say we're ranked 1 out of 44 (is that counting within a region/district?) with a "Top Rated" logo on it.

"Top rated store" just means that your score is far enough above the threshold for green that they do not post a numerical score anymore. Basically it just says, "You're good at this. Work on your reds, yellows, and non-solid greens."

See, I don't know how to check what is red, yellow, or green. My training was so haphazard I'm still learning what I think should have been relayed to me weeks ago. In TSE I noticed training handbooks for TMs; Backroom, Cashier, etc... All the Backroom ones are gone and not sure when they'll be restocked.

In the back room, there is a info board that will tell your personal score with any errors & how many pulls.

Hasn't been updated in weeks.

Thank you. During my lunch break tomorrow I'll be scouring the work bench since the only function my trainer showed me from it was checking the caf monitor and price change.

Thank you. During my lunch break tomorrow I'll be scouring the work bench since the only function my trainer showed me from it was checking the caf monitor and price change.

Pester your ETL as much as possible to get as much information and as much training as you can, you really want to make sure you're prepared for that interview. If you can find the opportunity hit up your etl and stl of your store, ask them if they will walk you through the tl interview process. It will help you out a lot.

Ok, will do. Now I know ETLs need degrees. Do TL positions require one as well? If so that will be a problem. I do plan on going back to school but haven't planned on when or what I'll major in.

But they do prefer it. If you are planning on going back to school, be sure to let them know, and get in on the school tuition assistance and if necessary, school LOAs.

*Update*

Bumped into my ETL after shopping at Target who said he had just come from a meeting. Long story short, he said my advancement to TL would be sooner than later and would begin prepping me soon. On Tuesday we'll have our first sit down and go over the TL interview process.

During my second interview with him I had asked if there was room for growth simply for his response, it wasn't a goal or ambition at the time. I never imagined that I'd be offered something like this so soon.

Last edited:

NOT DURING LUNCH!!!
It'll be seen as working off the clock which can put you on Final faster than you can say "bite me".
Said Final can knock you out of the running for ANY promotion for a YEAR.

NOT DURING LUNCH!!!
It'll be seen as working off the clock which can put you on Final faster than you can say "bite me".
Said Final can knock you out of the running for ANY promotion for a YEAR.

Thanks for the heads-up, Wound up not doing it that day.

Rarejem said:
At our store I think most TL's would say that the TL position is "bend over".

From my observation, I sadly have to agree with that.

Is there a guide here that entails the responsibilities of TLs in general?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back