Archived TL Interview Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a general idea and thinking of some good stories on how to answer the following the question:

"Tell me about a time you needed to make a decision that impacted your team goals?"

I'm making sure I'm on the correct path when answering this question.

From another thread:
You will be asked behavioral type questions. These will follow the S.T.A.R model, which is basically you tell about a S(situation) or T(task), what A (action) you took in the situation, and R (Results) of the situation. Your answers will be measured based on the complexity, effort and scope of the situation. They except you to give clear answers about a situation that actually happened to you, it cannot be a hypothetical response. They will be looking for you to tell them about situations in which your leadership role had a positive result. Make sure you are not overly negative towards others in any part of your answers (like saying how you had to lead your peers one day because your TL sucks).
They will also ask some basic interview questions like "Why do you think you would be right for this role"?. The best thing to do is to find an ETL to prep. with because they have access to TL interview guides and will know most of the questions you will be asked.

With that question, the leadership skill they most want to see reflected in your answer is drives for results, so make sure you drive home your capability to do so. What goal needed to be met, or what results needed to be achieved? How did you determine the best course of action to complete that goal? How did you get your team on board? What was the outcome?

But feel free to elaborate on as many other leadership qualities as is applicable to your story. They're looking for you to demonstrate courage by being confident in your decision, be innovative with your solution, effectively communicate your decision to all parties involved, be resilient and adaptable if you needed to change or alter your original decision, engage and inspire the other people involved to achieve the goal, etc.

Including how you partnered with a peer (or higher-up) and also explaining what you learned from the situation are great ways to increase the scope of your answer.

Unless they are already grooming you for a team lead position don't bother interviewing. The whole interview process is a joke. They have already decided who they want in what position.
I used to think the same thing. But truth is the experience of the interview made it much easier in future interviews. Try to make the best out of the situation. Talk with the people who did your interview. Ask what you could improve on in the future to prepare you for leadership.

And remember it's not always what you know but also who you know. You don't necessarily need to kiss up but showing genuine interest to your leadership in developing yourself can go a long way.

I would add we are all sailing in the red boat together, competence should be appreciated and awarded at all levels. Be confident demonstrate that you know your job, can learn, can adapt, and have a sense of humor. Or humid depending on where you are right now.

Unless they are already grooming you for a team lead position don't bother interviewing. The whole interview process is a joke. They have already decided who they want in what position.
They are going to pay you to practice interviewing. If you are serious about moving up at spot, might as well pay them to show you how to get there. I've never let them sway me from applying to an open position. It lets me see the questions, even if nobody wants to help me prep. And it gets me feedback about not only the interview but my actual efforts. Both my ETLs and my STLs have taken the exit interview/breaking the new about picking somebody else talk opportunity to chat about other aspects of the job, how I'm viewing changes, TLs, etc. I haven't shot myself in the foot yet...and I've been quite candid with them.

Also it keeps them from bypassing you with the excuse of "we didn't know you wanted to move up" which is a favorite-and half true because your TLs change so often and I swear nobody ever reads your HR files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back