TL living with AP-ETL

I don't get why people are jumping all over the OP, and some quite rudely. My guess is that they (the OP) feel this might be a serious issue, and they are wondering if they should or even must report it.

It could also be that it is becoming a case of favoritism or lack of professionalism at work.

I agree with those that said if it is not negatively affecting their performance or impacting the OP, then they should hang back and keep mum. Although, if the are concerned that one or both may lose their jobs and they feel that they can speak openly with either or both, they can mention it to them in private.

Last edited:
@Captain Orca , Schadenfreude has always been one of my favorite words. It means taking pleasure in another's misfortune, particularly when that person has done you wrong in some way. Enjoying another's comeuppance, if you will.

Not sure if that applies in this situation. It may, it may not.

Another good German word, which I learned from The Big Bang Theory, lol:
Weltschmirz - a weariness or sadness over the imperfections of the world. Sheldon Cooper described it as a sadness over the way the world actually is versus one's idealized version.

I don't get why people are jumping all over the OP, and some quite rudely. My guess is that they (the OP) feel this might be a serious issue, and they are wondering if they should or even must report it.

It could also be that it is becoming a case of favoritism or lack of professionalism at work.

I agree with those that said if it is not negatively affecting their performance or impacting the OP, then they should hang back and keep mum. Although, if the are concerned that one or both may lose their jobs and they feel that they can speak openly with either or both, they can mention it to them in private.
Its none of his/her business. its not in the OPs job description , the OP is not legally obligated to report them, nor morally. It is pathetic how involved some people are in other people’s lives. Mind your own 🤬 business.

I lived with my best friend and fellow TM. Eventually I was promoted to TL, but the closest store was 3 hours away. There was no issue for me. I would give them a heads up that you're aware of it, but if it's a non issue why bother snitching on them?

Are they good at their jobs?

Are their living arrangements somehow negatively affecting you or the store?

Those are the questions you should be asking yourself.

Its none of his/her business. its not in the OPs job description , the OP is not legally obligated to report them, nor morally. It is pathetic how involved some people are in other people’s lives. Mind your own 🤬 business.
I pretty much agree with the jist of that advice. My main point is that there is NO NEED to be a DICK about it.

It is annoying and disheartening how often some of my fellow Target TMs are RUDE for no good reason. The OP did nothing wrong to you or others on here, so y'all can take the hostility down a notch or three, Anger Balls.

Come in on time
Keep your relationships with TL's and ETL's light, fun, professional
Stay cordial with co workers
Put the mustard and olives on the shelf nice and neatly
Punch out for lunch on time
Take your breaks
Finish putting the mustard and olives on the shelf nice and neatly
Punch out
Go home
Stay out of the bullshit
Nothing more Nothing less

Come in on time
(Real quick)
Take your breaks
(Real quick)
(Real quick)
Punch out
Go home
Stay out of the bullshit
I fixed it for you

edit:- at my store this has become a new thing now, etl/sd would say, hey x can you do xyz “REAL QUICK” or can hey x can you come to abc “REAL QUICK” , 🤬 annoying

This is not appropriate and for many reasons
An ETL position in the store can technically write up or coach any TL. Most companies would never allow a supervisor to live with a subordinate.
The ETL holds power over the subordinate. They may not use that power for favors but the potential is there.
The ETL has private knowledge of many things a TL doesn't. The potential for that information to be disclosed is there.
If a team member is aware, it is no longer private. They can live together but not work together in the same store.

When looking at how the initial post was typed, it was clear the OP is way over involved in something that is none of their business. Multiple exclamations and questions are meant to convey "This is a super big great big deal."
It didn't come across that way to me at all. Pretty straightforward questions.

Come in on time
Take your breaks
Punch out
Go home
Stay out of the bullshit
I like this. Much better than calling people pathetic.

If the TL and AP-ETL do not bother you and do not negatively affect you and your job, then keep your mouth shut.

If you tell someone and one or both get moved/fired, you could get replacements that are worse for you and your job.

However, don't forget the info you have. If either starts to bother/affect you or your job, then go tell and end their jobs.

I personally know about worse replacements. The group of ETLs that are currently in my store are horrendously worse than the group of ETLs that were in my store when I first started.

If OP knows, others likely know as well. This can negatively affect store morale.

It's sort of worrisome that an ETL feels entitled enough to knowingly break this rule. PCard for endless Sbux is one thing, living with a subordinate...bad choice.

And this is the ETL for AP. What other things are they letting slide?

This whole thing is No Bueno.

I don't understand the hating on the OP.

That's what the board is for, to ask and comment on things we don't feel comfortable talking about in person. Even if you disagree with their ethics and beliefs, it can still be respectful.

In addition to being a TM and TL for 5 years, I was an ETL for 10 years. Two of my ETL roles were HR and AP.

That's what horrifies me most about the situation. The ETL-AP KNOWS that his/her position is one of the two most powerful positions in the store (next to SD) and involves even more confidentiality and ethics than the SD.

As a TM, I would have probably kept mum because I figure they weren't breaking the law or hurting anyone. Now, after all my years in management, my time with Spot, my time in that particular role to know how delicate it is, and my grad ethics class, there's no way I could keep quiet without it eating at my conscience.

Yes, the outcome could hurt the ETL-AP and TL. However, they (at least the ETL-AP) know what they're doing I'd wrong. How about the innocent TMs and TLs that could be suffering from favoritism and breaches of confidentiality bc of the relationship, just to name a couple of consequences?

OP, so sorry you're in this situation. Please feel free to message me if you need anything. Good luck!

Rumor? very well could be. Guy goes to the ortho for trigger finger release surgery, in and out in 2 hrs, twilight anesthesia, out of touch for 30 mins tops. Mrs. Captain drives you home. Take a day off from the Store on the planet Neptune, everything is cool with the mgr, ETLs and TLs. Couple of days later you go back and someone says they heard you had your prostate removed due to cancer. Ouch, nope, Mr. Walnut is fine, see the nice bandage and 5 stitches on my hand? Hypothetical scenario but word (bullshit) travels fast.

There are reasons that these relationships are unethical. If I were in your shoes, I probably wouldn't approach either party myself but rather ask for a meeting with your HR person. Depending on what you actually KNOW and what you've only heard, make sure you're clear about what you know to be fact and what's going around on the grapevine. Keep it low-key on your part. "My motivation here isn't so much to get anyone in trouble, but this situation seems to not be right and I think you need to know about it."

I have done the in private, "you know I know about you and so and so." If I know others have to know. I am keeping it under my hat but you might want to make some moves to protect yourself. And walked away and forgot what I knew, relationships happen, let them figure out how to handle it. If they choose nothing and get termed, its on them.

Does your store still carry Guldens Mustard? Neptune and its' sister store no longer do. Oh, pardon me, I must go back to the G aisle and focus on my pricing, resetting, replenishing and zoning then have a nice 30 minute lunch. The two folks who are subjects of this run on sentence of a thread: "what are you guys doing for lunch? Pizza hut is on sale." That's it! Enjoy.

i looked this up on Ethics @ Target and technically OP should report this if they’re aware of it and believe it to be true.

i would suggest doing whatever feels right, @GSA2long. you’re in the right if you report it but it’s also reasonable to not do anything.

this being “none of your business” doesn’t make it any less of a conflict of interest or a violation of our Code of Ethics, so don’t feel bad no matter what you do.

targetintegrityhotline.com
1-800-541-6838

Back