Archived TL's can't interview worth a f*ck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how it is in other stores but our leaders just keep hiring people willy nilly and losing them almost as quickly.

We lose 50% of new hires. Seriously. We sink major $$$ into training then two weeks later *poof* no more new guy. We have a three step process as far as I know. Three TL's talk to an applicant yet somehow they still keep hiring incompetent losers. They should be promoting from within if you ask me. More loyalty, less training money spent.

It's bad enough that TL's openly show favoritism but it's even more upsetting that they overlook qualified TM's in favor of outsiders who just don't seem to fit in or NCNS after a few weeks/days.

Is there some kind of policy in place that says you can't change work centers if you're good at your job??? It's like there's a policy of "keep 'em down" at Target. Our morale is so low right now throughout the entire store. Backroom, floor, front, everyone is grumbling and complaining about the new people, the leads, the guests, the work, the inefficiency, it's becoming a chore to go to work most days now.

I see this a lot, for every 5 new TMs we lose 4. Seriously. Its a problem. Far as i know theyre just upping the hiring lol. Ive seen a few newbs this post week. Had probably more than 10 at orientation last month. If you wanna move work centers though, you have to speak up. If you aren't expressing interest, they may just think you like where you are and dont bother because you fit in anyway. Talk to leadership. When trying to do different things in the store, i usually overstep my direct TL and ETL and go straight to STL or HR. They're more likely to open the opportunity for you. Your TL may not want to lose you but STL wants you to expand. Always go up the ladder first when trying to promote imo.

My STL is very supportive but my TLs and ETL are afraid of me leaving them. I hate it. STL has fought for me this whole time. ETL is a jerk

Last edited:
It doesn't help with the e2e process most new TM's in my store are given an hour of training then on their own. It can be extremely stressful to the TM who doesn't know the products Target carries, the layout of the store, and not comfortable using a radio. Then they are expected to learn the register and be expected to back up the lanes. The TL that interviewed the TM say they interviewed well and thought they were a good match. Then alot of disappointment when the NSNC within the 1st week.

That's because working at Target sucks and it's a shit job

New hires see this and leave. The others new any job they can get.

That's the reality. No one wants to work here

What person ever expects it to be much more of anything else? It's a low paying job, working in retail!

Nobody promised me a rose garden when I was hired...
Where I work it's actually high paying, since it's about 3$ over minimum wage and the cost of living is low here.

That being said, people don't last long at my store because of incomplete training.

Not to mention, people act differently in interviews. You never know until they're on the job. I've interviewed several TMs and although they give the impression they're ready, once in the position they prove otherwise.

Also sometimes we have to meet a quota. Like "there is 10 interviews scheduled, we need at least 4", because slots need to be filled. As far as promoting, Target always baffles me. They look outside a lot and most fail. Yet they have perfectly qualified people already with the company.

And yet...you remain.
That doesn't really matter. I'm just explaining why people quit. I was actually going to just stop showing up a week or so after getting hired but things change. Some people don't have expenses so they don't feel the need to lower themselves to work here

12 interviews in the last 3 weeks. I passed 1 along.

Yup my store turns down a lot of people actually so don't blame the interview process.

It's retail, not everyone is cut out for it. Our turnover rate is no different than Wal-Mart, K mart, Sears etc.

OP I am not one to excuse leaders but a lot of tms who think they are worthy of promotion arent.

We have a hardlines team member who think Plano should just take him because he can push reshop.

Asants but as someome who has been in many stores, a lot of them do promote from within -- stores are required to have a bench and a pipeline for leadership positions. Not everyone who thinks they can promote is ready.

The only position target dutifully neglects promoting from within is vmtl

Yup my store turns down a lot of people actually so don't blame the interview process.

It's retail, not everyone is cut out for it. Our turnover rate is no different than Wal-Mart, K mart, Sears etc.

I admire stores that screen well. I'm usually that one TL that finishes 10 interviews with only passing 1 through and I get that look from people like "ONLY 1".

Yes only one because I don't have the energy to deal with babies. I have about 60 team members I'm responsible for. No way am I going to make it harder by passing questionable people through.

For the most part though, my store hires a lot. So I'm like a rebel in that regard.

When I interviewed people for positions on the brigades I was always brutally honest.
"Can you take someone yelling at you?"
"How do you feel about going home every night smelling like grease and being too exausted to take a shower?"
"Imgine this, you've had a rotten night, been in the weeds almost the whole time and it's five minutes to closing time. A party of ten walks in. How are you going to handle it?"
You get a whole lot better people that way than "Tell me about a time ..."

My ETL-HR hires practically anyone who applies, and then talks nonstop about how awesome they are and how great it's going to work out. However, not many people do apply so the choice is usually hire nobody or hire someone questionable. Previous HRs at my store were a bit more selective, which lead to us being constantly understaffed.

It's hard to tell how well it's working so far. We definitely have new faces who are sticking around and seem to be doing ok, but some don't last long and it seems like a lot of people are quitting in general.

The real issue here is the questions we are given to ask the applicants, our store sometimes won't even allow us to ask what we'd prefer to ask these applicants.

These PartA/PartB questions are spread out on glassdoor, you can sort of tell when you interview someone that they've rehearsed the fuck out of their answers.

I've learn that this is a hit or miss process, I've had people I hired that didn't do so well in their interview and became great team members.

My ETL-HR hires practically anyone who applies, and then talks nonstop about how awesome they are and how great it's going to work out. However, not many people do apply so the choice is usually hire nobody or hire someone questionable. Previous HRs at my store were a bit more selective, which lead to us being constantly understaffed.

It's hard to tell how well it's working so far. We definitely have new faces who are sticking around and seem to be doing ok, but some don't last long and it seems like a lot of people are quitting in general.

Interesting, I have seen this vary from store to store but our etl hr does no interviews except thirds or for team lead positions.

We generally only hire people if the tl or etl is there for the position. The idea is if the person sucks you can't say "well I didn't choose them"

The one exception is if the tl or etl says they are too busy to do the interview. Then the etl hr steps in out of respect for the interviewee. We always send calendar invites in advance so no one is surprised we scheduled an interview.

Last edited:
The real issue here is the questions we are given to ask the applicants, our store sometimes won't even allow us to ask what we'd prefer to ask these applicants.

These PartA/PartB questions are spread out on glassdoor, you can sort of tell when you interview someone that they've rehearsed the fuck out of their answers.

I've learn that this is a hit or miss process, I've had people I hired that didn't do so well in their interview and became great team members.

That is true. I am glad they have you take people out to the floor for beauty and electronics interviews now, I wish they would do that for other postions as well. Having them look at the floor and tell you how they would handle a situation/fix an end cap is much more telling of what's to come then in an interview room.

But again there are plenty of reasons people don't work out. They move, family emergencies, get a better paying job. Those arent necessarily bad hires. Sometimes you hire a great person and they are hired by a better paying company.

Instead of throwing team leads under the bus maybe we should recognize you never know until a person starts the job.

Last edited:
Interesting, I have seen this vary from store to store but our etl hr does no interviews except thirds or for team lead positions.

We generally only hire people if the tl or etl is there for the position. The idea is if the person sucks you can't say well I didn't interview them.

The one exception is if the tl or etl says they are too busy to do the interview. Then the etl hr steps in out of respect for the interviewee. We always send calendar invites in advance so no one is surprised we scheduled an interview.
From what I have seen, a TL usually will do the first interview and then HR will do the second interview regardless of the feedback.

I feel in my opinion I was a good worker. However management scared me away so to speak along with E2E.I'm not gonna BS you E2E is a lot of work for the same pay as other companies. I found a nice new job where I do less and make more.

Management is what can make or break employees.

during the interview potential team members are not given a realistic view of what the job really is. As a sales floor team member you can expect to spend at least 1/3 of your time cashiering. The training in theory is good, in practice it sucks rats ass. If someone is unsure of how to do something they are not going to feel comfortable. Most stores are also very very "cliquey"too. As a flow team member you will be pushed...hard! Its like a crossfit workout for the first 2 hours.The constant barking orders over the walkie doesn't help either.Back up cashier, pick up reshop, pulls on the line etc sometimes they feel like they are being pulled in 100 directions.

I don't agree with that one.

Chefs take classes in how to be assholes.
Good chefs are even worse.
But mostly the yelling is orders up and down the line.
If you can't get used to someone shouting out an order, knowing exactly what they said ten minutes later and in what order, you are probably not up to working the line.

Last edited:

For a while our Leaders and ETL's didn't turn anyone down and I had to hire all these awful people who quit after a week. I finally spoke up and told them if they had any doubt about the applicant to turn them down please. They listened and we finally stopped losing people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back